Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Precheck at IAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Lucky you. I've never had that experience before evening flights out of Dulles on Thursdays and Fridays. Here's a pic I took from a Thursday in August of the Precheck line at around 5. They've since moved the Clear folks which makes it a little better. But I certainly have not found Dulles a ghost town on Friday evenings.
Wow

Yeah, in my ~50 times flying out of IAD in the last three years I've never seen it even close to that bad. The vast majority were Fridays on the ~7:30pm SFO departure (exact timing moved around a bit over the years) so I was probably clearing around 6:45 but I've taken UA340 my fair share too and not run into that.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
While that picture looks bad, each one of those lines goes to a separate ID checker (unless things have changed) so it moves fast. I've seen it like that a few times and don't think I've waited longer than 10-15 mins.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by mctaste
Clear + Precheck! Match made in heaven.
The last three times i've used Clear at IAD lines and processing times have been longer than just doing PreCheck.
Really not that great of an experiecne anymore. I have not seen a crowd as big as the picture in a while, though.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
While that picture looks bad, each one of those lines goes to a separate ID checker (unless things have changed) so it moves fast. I've seen it like that a few times and don't think I've waited longer than 10-15 mins.
This. The rare times the lines are that long, pre-check is still better than the CF that is the regular lines, especially during the early to late afternoon crush created by all the international departures headed east.
coolbeans202 and Artpen100 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Irish93DCA
Get CLEAR, problem solved.
CLEAR had a rather long line this AM. Had a 10 minute wait just to get to TSA agent. IAD is a zoo - really a staffing issue by TSA.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:40 am

Post Clear+PreCheck = goodness

just there last Friday. downstairs Clear without precheck was the way to go. upstairs clear with precheck line was longer than the regular line....
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
It took 35 minutes that day.
And there and in my experience, the bottleneck for pre-check isn't at ID check, but at the belts/detectors after. There are more ID checkers than metal detectors.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
There is no F or separate Premier Access line for TSA at IAD.

I have not seen a separate F and/or Premier Access TSA line at any of the US airports I have been to. Has anyone seen it?
Originally Posted by Pittie Pup
LAS does
Originally Posted by emcampbe
you mean a separate pre line just for F/premier access. No, I’ve never seen it, and don’t think it exists.

but what do I know, I’m just based at CVG, where a line of 10 people at pre is pretty busy.
LAS does not have a separate line for TSA-pre but does for regular TSA. Same for SAN.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
There is no F or separate Premier Access line for TSA at IAD.

I have not seen a separate F and/or Premier Access TSA line at any of the US airports I have been to. Has anyone seen it?
Not quite the same, but SFO has a GS line (or really a separate entrance bypassing the regular precheck line).
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mh3265a
CLEAR had a rather long line this AM. Had a 10 minute wait just to get to TSA agent. IAD is a zoo - really a staffing issue by TSA.
WOW....I haven't been through IAD since December before they moved things around. In the past I never had that happen with CLEAR at IAD.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Try any Monday moring at IAD at 7:30 Am. LOOONG lines at Clear and PreCheck.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How many minutes to clear? That is the question. How many people in the lines is largely irrelevant because of the speed with which the three different types of line move.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Often1
How many minutes to clear? That is the question. How many people in the lines is largely irrelevant because of the speed with which the three different types of line move.
Fair point. Our line was extremely long per se (longest I've seen at CLEAR but not long in a normal sense). How CLEAR was managing the flow was the issue.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Fair point. Our line was extremely long per se (longest I've seen at CLEAR but not long in a normal sense). How CLEAR was managing the flow was the issue.
So you're saying they actually need to maintain the 4 CLEAR employees to one CLEAR user ratio they have during off-peak hours?
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1k, 2.3MM Flyer, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
The last time I was at IAD (last week) the problem is that they moved Clear and Precheck off to the side away from the standard Precheck lines but did not give Clear a dedicated security ID checker or dedicated security screening line or belt. So there was a lot of Clear buildup as the checker alternated between Clear and non Clear and then there was the scrum to get in the screening lines where there was 3 lines going into two belts. Very poor experience from Clear and they blamed TSA (which seems right) . TSA moved Clear to give it more room and get it away from the standard Precheck and then they stiff them on the lines dedicated to Clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.