UA-Schedule changes

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 5, 22, 2:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: dkc192
Wiki Link
UA publishes a schedule for 330 days in advance (called Beginning of Schedule) and in the past would make tweaks quarterly and things would be fairly settles 3-4 months out. Updates would occur Friday evening / Saturday morning (Chicago time). Routine additions could occur anytime.

Present updates are every Friday and sometimes mid-week usually focused on the next month and farther out.

20 Oct 2021
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
In the earnings call today, UA noted that has been transitioning back to its 'normal' (pre-pandemic) 90-day schedule load process, which should be complete in the very near future.
However, during the COVID era, UA has gone to a more dynamic and shorter-term setting of schedule (as has the other carriers). Presently UA, while UA is still publishing a schedule for 330 days in advance it reflects pre-COVID operational levels and is considered just a placeholder schedule. Then 3-5 weeks prior to a month, UA makes a major update of that month's schedule.

Examples (Major updates)
The October 2020 schedule was updated 4-5 September 2020
The November 2020 schedule was updated 2-3 October 2020
The December 2020 schedule was updated 30-31 October 2020
Holidays can move the major date a week earlier or later.
Weekly updates are still generally done over night Friday-Saturday (Chicago)

UA does not publish a summary of most schedule changes but a variety of sources below do and summaries / links of those sources can be found in this thread & wiki.

Always crosscheck with UA's Travel Notices , Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel waivers and information, www.united.com/coronavirus as the situation is dynamic

Other Resources and Statistics
Archive: COVID19 UA-Schedule {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 22, 22, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Noticing some domestic changes for late August/early September, around Labor Day weekend, being loaded this evening.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 25, 22, 11:07 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Some EWR-LAX flights in June & July that were originally scheduled as 757 have just changed to 787.
SPN Lifer and EWR764 like this.
Old Apr 26, 22, 10:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
United Kicks Off Largest Transatlantic Expansion in its History: 30 New or Resumed Flights in Eight Weeks

United expects a strong recovery in European summer travel and is adding new nonstop flights to the United Kingdom, Italy, Switzerland, Germany and France

United also will now be the only North American carrier to fly to popular destinations in Jordan, Norway, Portugal and Spain

CHICAGO, April 26, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- United has kicked off the launch of its largest transatlantic expansion in its history, in anticipation of a strong recovery in European summer travel. In total, United will launch or resume 30 Transatlantic flights from mid-April through early June. This includes adding new nonstop flights to five distinctive leisure destinations no other North American airline serves including Amman, Jordan; Bergen, Norway; Azores, Portugal; Palma de Mallorca, Spain and Tenerife in the Spanish Canary Islands. The airline is also launching five new nonstop flights to some of Europe's most popular business and tourist hubs including London, Milan, Zurich, Munich and Nice. United is also resuming fourteen Atlantic routes the airline has historically served and adding frequencies in six others.

United's transatlantic route network will be more than 25% larger than it was in 2019. With this expansion, United will serve more transatlantic destinations than every other U.S. carrier combined and will be the largest airline across the Atlantic for the first time in history.

"We have long anticipated a strong demand recovery, evidenced by our large, strategic expansion in Europe, and with these new flights, we're proud to offer our customers more options and access than ever before," said Patrick Quayle, senior vice president of international network and alliances at United. "United continues to leverage its leading global network in new and exciting ways to help our customers make meaningful memories and experience new cultures around the world."

Amman, Jordan
United will begin new capital to capital service between Washington, D.C./Dulles and Amman, Jordan on May 5. Customers will be able to explore the numerous historical sites in and around Amman, as well as visit Jordan's other top destinations including Petra, the Dead Sea and the Wadi Rum desert. United is the first airline to offer nonstop service between Amman and Washington D.C./Dulles and will be the only North American carrier flying to Amman with three times weekly service on a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner.

Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal
United will add a third Portuguese destination to its global network with brand new flights between New York/Newark and Ponta Delgada in the Azores beginning May 13. The carrier will offer more flights between the U.S. and Portugal than any other North American airline and will be the only North American airline to fly to the Azores. This joins United's existing flights between New York/Newark and Porto, and its flights between Washington Dulles, New York/Newark and Lisbon. United will fly a brand-new Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft that features United's new signature interior with enhanced seat back entertainment, Bluetooth connectivity and overhead bin space for every customer.

Bergen, Norway
Beginning May 20, United will become the only U.S. carrier to fly to Norway with flights launching between New York/Newark and Bergen. United will offer three times weekly service on a Boeing 757-200, allowing customers to experience Bergen's surrounding mountainous landscape and breathtaking fjords. United will offer the only nonstop service between Bergen and the U.S.

Palma de Mallorca, Balearic Islands, Spain
United is expanding its Spanish beach getaway destinations with three times weekly flights between New York/Newark and Palma de Mallorca in the Balearic Islands, launching June 2 with a Boeing 767-300ER. Mallorca is home to some of the world's most pristine beaches and inspired dining and nightlife options. This will be the first and only nonstop flight between the U.S. and Mallorca and will add to United's existing services to Madrid and Barcelona.

Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain
Travelers looking for an additional new beach destination can enjoy the stunning black and white sand beaches of Spain's Canary Islands with United's new flight from New York/Newark to Tenerife. United will be the only airline to fly nonstop between the Canary Islands and North America with three-times weekly service launching June 9 on a Boeing 757-200 aircraft. Along with the new service to Palma de Mallorca, United will fly to more Spanish destinations from North America than any other airline.

Expanded European Service
In light of the increased demand for European travel, United is also launching new service to some of Europe's most iconic cities, including:
  • New daily flights between Boston and London Heathrow, which began on April 14, and is United's only trans-oceanic point-to-point flight from Boston. This flight complements United's nonstop service to London Heathrow from all seven of United's hubs.
  • New daily flights between Denver and Munich, which began April 23 and joins existing service from Denver to Frankfurt and London. United is the only U.S. airline to offer transatlantic service from Denver.
  • New daily flights between Chicago and Zurich, which began April 23. United now offers more nonstop service between Switzerland and the U.S. than any other U.S. airline, and is the only U.S. airline with nonstop service to Geneva.
  • New daily flights between New York/Newark and Nice, beginning April 29. United will offer more premium seats to Nice than any other U.S. carrier.
  • New daily flights between Chicago and Milan, beginning May 6, joining existing seasonal flights between Chicago and Rome. United will be the only airline to offer nonstop service between Chicago and Milan, adding to its existing service between New York/Newark and Milan.
In addition to these new flights, United is increasing service to popular European travel destinations, including:
  • Second daily flights between New York/Newark and Dublin, which began April 23.
  • Second daily flights between Denver and London Heathrow, beginning May 7.
  • Second daily flight between New York/Newark and Frankfurt, beginning May 26.
  • Second flight between New York/Newark and Rome five times weekly, beginning May 27.
  • Adding a third daily flight between San Francisco and London Heathrow and increasing service between New York/Newark and London Heathrow to seven daily flights, beginning May 28. With this additional service, United will offer 22 daily nonstop flights from the U.S. to London Heathrow.
To help generate excitement about these new routes, earlier this month United launched two unique out of home campaigns, including digital billboards in downtown Boston to highlight the airline's new Boston-London Heathrow service. United also teamed up with Saks Fifth Avenue for a series of window displays featuring fashion inspired by United's five unique transatlantic routes.

In addition to these European routes, United is also growing its presence in Africa as part of this transatlantic expansion. On May 8, United will increase its service to offer daily flights between Washington/Dulles and Accra, Ghana. The airline will also extend its existing seasonal service to Cape Town to year-round, with nonstop flights from New York/Newark resuming June 5, subject to government approval.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...ges-to-return/
United expects transpacific capacity to be down about 65% versus 2019 in the second quarter. By contrast, Latin American capacity is expected to be up 9% versus 2019.
.....One watch item for United is regional flying, which has been hammered by a growing pilot shortage, reducing service to smaller markets in the US. “I just don't think it's mathematically possible to meet the pilot demand for the capacity plans that are out there,” Kirby said. “You can already see the issues that are occurring at multiple smaller and mid-tier airlines over the pilot shortage … That situation is only going to get worse. This is not a temporary issue.”

He added: “All of our [contracted] regionals weren't able to hire [enough pilots] and are having problems. I think we've got 150 [United regional] airplanes grounded right now. They're never going to come back, I assume.”

Kirby emphasized that United does not have a labor issue for its mainline services. “We're hiring 200 pilots a month,” he said. “That's not an issue for us.”

United is forecasting its full-year 2022 capacity to be “down high single digits” versus 2019. At the start of 2022, the airline had anticipated operating 5% more capacity in 2022 versus 2019.
Other notable events
SQ / SIA signs MOU with United Airlines (Adding 19 new codeshares)

1Q 2022 Financial Results
Xyzzy and FriendlySkies like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 26, 22 at 11:30 am Reason: formatting
Old May 3, 22, 8:45 pm

Sudden unavail for purchase of UA363/362 (non-stop EWR-HNL & HNL-EWR) 5/26-6/30

These flights are available through and including 25 May 2022, but beginning 26 May and spanning through 30 June, they aren't... until availability resumes 1 July.

I am on flights during the "unavailable" period and my reservation looks ok without notice of schedule change or apparent equipment change (I've had two schedule changes and one equipment change in the last few weeks that I had to discover myself - not a peep from United on them). I can pull the seat map with the free tool on ExpertFlyer and see PLENTY of available seats when I pick a date between 5/26-6/30 and look.

To me this smacks of a data issue - perhaps as inventory was loaded it was interrupted/corrupted. I both called UA and contacted via Twitter without any sort of realistic answer provided.

Could someone who has the tools at hand check to see if there are seats available for sale in any of the various fare buckets? Something just seems off with this to me. When searching for flights on United.com or any other search tool or sales tool, there are no non-stop flights between EWR/HNL available at all for that entire period - not a single seat available for sale.

I'm curious as to what's actually going on here! I noticed this on 5/1 after speaking to a friend who expressed interest in tagging along on the trip - nothing at all was showing available, so I expanded the search beyond the intended dates to find this big black hole

Last edited by Ebullient; May 3, 22 at 9:00 pm Reason: forgot to mention why I was looking at availability
Old May 3, 22, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
A lot of flights to and from Hawaii are impacted in June not just from EWR but also the West Coast because I don’t think they figured out what sort of equipment will be available with the 777HD fleet
Old May 3, 22, 9:01 pm

is the "solution" to simply stop selling tickets on the flights altogether?
Old May 3, 22, 9:06 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, B6 Mosaic, DL Gold, OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by Ebullient View Post
Correct — the flights are zeroed out from 5/26 through 6/30, probably while they figure out the aircraft swaps, and then they'll reopen inventory (and of course if they switch to a 763 or 764 then some of those flights might already be fully sold out or overbooked, so it makes sense to close out inventory for now and not overbook things further)
N104UA likes this.
Old May 3, 22, 9:47 pm

Apparently - some of the West Coast flights have either been unavailable or only selling full fare economy or full fare F the past 10 days.
Old May 3, 22, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Rather inelegant.

Perhaps they've overcommitted with the summer schedule to Europe and now find themselves in a pickle.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
A lot of flights to and from Hawaii are impacted in June not just from EWR but also the West Coast because I don’t think they figured out what sort of equipment will be available with the 777HD fleet
That would be an indirect effect, as I don't believe UA has ever used the 772 HD on that route, as the non-ER aircraft don't have the range.
Old May 3, 22, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
Much like the concurrent thread about UA clearing out PP 2 days before a HNL-SFO 773 flight, this thread is making me nervous . I have three seats in first during the affected timespan - upgraded to D fare, at about $950 per upgrade. If it reverts back to 764, there's going to be trouble.
Old May 4, 22, 2:45 am

Aircraft on the route was recently changed to the 772 from the 764. Is it possibly being reverted back? If so, is there a way to guarantee which seat I will be assigned if the aircraft does change? I had previously secured row 1 on the 764 for the wider footwells, but the flight looks to be full.
Old May 4, 22, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by a.tall.guy View Post
Aircraft on the route was recently changed to the 772 from the 764. Is it possibly being reverted back?
That would be my guess - contemplating a downgauge to 767s.

Originally Posted by a.tall.guy View Post
If so, is there a way to guarantee which seat I will be assigned if the aircraft does change? I had previously secured row 1 on the 764 for the wider footwells, but the flight looks to be full.
1A to 1A is a fighting chance, otherwise no.
Old May 4, 22, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post

That would be an indirect effect, as I don't believe UA has ever used the 772 HD on that route, as the non-ER aircraft don't have the range.
No - they've never used the 772 HD from EWR - but the up in the air status of that fleet is likely having a ripple effect
anhuang19 likes this.
Old May 4, 22, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
The second daily EWR-FRA UA74/UA75 seems to be zeroed out through June too. Perhaps the same issue--equipment unavailability due to the delayed return of the 777HD?
Old May 4, 22, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Might this also be the case for SFO-AMS on 5/14? I am flying that route and it was pretty wide open in both Polaris and Premium Plus a few weeks ago. I remember the day prior to booking there actually being confirmable upgrade space to both cabins. Checked last week and all of a sudden it is zeroed out in both Polaris and Premium Plus. Could be that all of those seats have sold, but it seemed like a very stark shift to me.

Interestingly, if you search for SFO-AMS on that date there are *VERY* few routes with any J or O availability. Maybe there is just something going on in Amsterdam that week?

Last edited by GBadger; May 4, 22 at 2:11 pm

Search this Thread