UA-Schedule changes

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 5, 22, 2:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: dkc192
Wiki Link
UA publishes a schedule for 330 days in advance (called Beginning of Schedule) and in the past would make tweaks quarterly and things would be fairly settles 3-4 months out. Updates would occur Friday evening / Saturday morning (Chicago time). Routine additions could occur anytime.

Present updates are every Friday and sometimes mid-week usually focused on the next month and farther out.

20 Oct 2021
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
In the earnings call today, UA noted that has been transitioning back to its 'normal' (pre-pandemic) 90-day schedule load process, which should be complete in the very near future.
However, during the COVID era, UA has gone to a more dynamic and shorter-term setting of schedule (as has the other carriers). Presently UA, while UA is still publishing a schedule for 330 days in advance it reflects pre-COVID operational levels and is considered just a placeholder schedule. Then 3-5 weeks prior to a month, UA makes a major update of that month's schedule.

Examples (Major updates)
The October 2020 schedule was updated 4-5 September 2020
The November 2020 schedule was updated 2-3 October 2020
The December 2020 schedule was updated 30-31 October 2020
Holidays can move the major date a week earlier or later.
Weekly updates are still generally done over night Friday-Saturday (Chicago)

UA does not publish a summary of most schedule changes but a variety of sources below do and summaries / links of those sources can be found in this thread & wiki.

Always crosscheck with UA's Travel Notices , Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel waivers and information, www.united.com/coronavirus as the situation is dynamic

Other Resources and Statistics
Archive: COVID19 UA-Schedule {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 19, 22, 11:05 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
UA just eliminated the early morning EWR-CLE flight which creates a 5 1/2 hour layover coming off my overnight flight (early May). At some point, schedule stability matters to passengers but it increasingly feels like UA isn't valuing this.
On the flip side - if they don't have the passenger demand - it isn't impacting a lot of passengers.
Old Mar 19, 22, 11:09 am

Programs: UA MM 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
On the flip side - if they don't have the passenger demand - it isn't impacting a lot of passengers.
I have no idea for any other day but for mine it was an already half full 737 at six weeks out.
Old Mar 19, 22, 6:28 pm

The 3/27 to 5/4 schedule has the early EWR to Cleremoved. From 5/5 the 6:50am flight resumes.
Old Mar 19, 22, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K
Originally Posted by trk1 View Post
The 3/27 to 5/4 schedule has the early EWR to Cleremoved. From 5/5 the 6:50am flight resumes.
It looks like the 6:50 AM EWR-CLE operates 5/2 through 5/5 but not again until 5/8. Why? Who knows?
Old Mar 24, 22, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Not sure when this happened, but this morning I noticed a number of east coast TATL upgauges from 781 to 77W this summer (I checked random dates in mid-July and early September):

EWR-FRA (second flight on a 76L)
EWR-CDG (new second flight added on a 763--has this been reported previously?)
EWR-BRU
IAD-FRA (second flight on a 772)

Consequently EWR-LIS and EWR-ATH see an upgauge from 763/764 to 781. I didn't search every last route, but I wonder where else they're planning to redeploy the 781? Accounting for the EWR-LIS and EWR-ATH flights, there should be two additional 781 frames freed up from the upgauges listed above.
Old Mar 24, 22, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Seems the changes were loaded last night. Had EF alerts set, woke up this morning to see my FRA-IAD upgauged to 77W (orig 781). Personally am thrilled, at least now theres a chance of having Ch 9.

Found it slightly odd though, as the economy cabin was still wide open (biz maybe half full). Didnt seem to warrant an upgauge for a flight slightly more than 60 days out. Nevertheless, hope it sticks.
Old Mar 25, 22, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL DM; UA PM; AA 1MM
I don't know if these are changes from Wednesday night or from this evening, but I got two uglies this week:

- My EWR-OGG non-stop flight in about 5 weeks got pulled. I was placed on EWR-DEN-OGG (DEN-OGG on some sort of 8 across Polaris setup). Changed that to go via ORD instead.
- ANC-EWR red-eye this summer changed from 752 with lie-flats to a 7M8

I figure there will be more changes to the ANC flight but was quite saddened to see the rather close-in cut of the OGG non-stop.
Old Mar 25, 22, 7:50 pm

Some domestic schedule changes for May just got loaded. Many Polaris-equipped 772s just got swapped for HD 772s on PS transcons, more so on EWR-LAX than on EWR-SFO.
Old Mar 26, 22, 10:04 pm

Did some further inspection of the PS transcons and noticed something weird. UA seems to have loaded a "real" schedule with an array of widebodies plus the occasional 752 until 6/24, and again starting 8/1, resembling what they've operated throughout the pandemic. Between 6/24 and 8/1, however, they still have the placeholder schedule loaded, with the occasional 781 or 772HD and an army of almost-hourly 752s at other times (LAX-EWR has them at quarter past the hour, SFO-EWR at half past).

Have they really decided what they'll preliminarily be flying in August but not in July?
Old Mar 29, 22, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA 1K, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Dia-AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
Some domestic schedule changes for May just got loaded. Many Polaris-equipped 772s just got swapped for HD 772s on PS transcons, more so on EWR-LAX than on EWR-SFO.
I had a similar change for August. A ps 757-200 turned into a 789 which is a big upgrade.
Old Mar 30, 22, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Not sure if this is the right thread, but it's about aircraft type assigned to specific routes this summer.

I've been looking at UA2435's limited history for the past two weeks, and it looks like the route has been flown by a variety of widebodies (788, 789, 766, 77W). I'm assuming that would be the case year round, since IAD-SFO is a hub-hub flight. But when I look at the schedule starting from 5/5 onward it becomes a narrowbody. I know it's too far out to know what will end up flying that route (seems like it could end up with any aircraft capable of flying that distance), but does anyone have insight into flying IAD-SFO over the summer? I would assume they'd have widebodies on these flights --unless they need larger aircraft for other routes.
Old Mar 30, 22, 9:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NYC2SGN View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread, but it's about aircraft type assigned to specific routes this summer.

I've been looking at UA2435's limited history for the past two weeks, and it looks like the route has been flown by a variety of widebodies (788, 789, 766, 77W). I'm assuming that would be the case year round, since IAD-SFO is a hub-hub flight. But when I look at the schedule starting from 5/5 onward it becomes a narrowbody. I know it's too far out to know what will end up flying that route (seems like it could end up with any aircraft capable of flying that distance), but does anyone have insight into flying IAD-SFO over the summer? I would assume they'd have widebodies on these flights --unless they need larger aircraft for other routes.
The morning widebody flight is still there, it does look look the recent evening widebody may have been dropped perhaps as there is less business demand over the summer months traditionally. there has been a whole lot of recent summer flights upguage / downguage , so this is consistent with other changes.
NYC2SGN likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 30, 22 at 10:10 am Reason: more
Old Mar 30, 22, 10:37 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by ty97 View Post
I don't know if these are changes from Wednesday night or from this evening, but I got two uglies this week:

- My EWR-OGG non-stop flight in about 5 weeks got pulled. I was placed on EWR-DEN-OGG (DEN-OGG on some sort of 8 across Polaris setup). Changed that to go via ORD instead.
- ANC-EWR red-eye this summer changed from 752 with lie-flats to a 7M8

I figure there will be more changes to the ANC flight but was quite saddened to see the rather close-in cut of the OGG non-stop.
I am on the 8/1 ANC-EWR flight. Huge downgrade from lie-flats on the 752. Am hoping that something causes the 752 to remain on the route -- but guessing that it is more likely that my July EWR-ANC in a 752 will be downgraded to a MAX. Ugh and ugh again. Slower and less comfortable plane.
Old Mar 30, 22, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

I'll admit to not looking at this route too much, but from the time's I have, and going back well before pandemic, the consistent widebodies on this route were eastbound in the morning (I think ~8am from SFO), and westbound in the afternoon (~5/5:30). Been on it in both directions once or twice.

And these can change. the first morning SFO-ORD (~7am, but I think its been closer to 6:30 in the last few months) used to be a Polaris 772, but went to a 739 a little earlier this year. I think when I saw that, they actually added an earlier one also ~5:30, also on a narrow body.
Old Mar 30, 22, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

There are specific flights both out of LAX and SFO to/from IAD that have historically kept widebodies. The 8-ish AM eastbound and 6-ish PM westbound have been repositioning flights for international widebodies to the other coast.

That being said, a quick poke at one day in June 2022 shows those flights and others now infected with 753s - or worse.

If flying a widebody across the continental US is so important, get on one to EWR and then connect into IAD or DCA and vice versa for the return.

David

p.s. did spot at least one widebody on IAD-LAX for 07/22/22 - but that's a 772HD.
artvandalay likes this.

Search this Thread