UA-Schedule changes

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 5, 22, 2:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: dkc192
Wiki Link
UA publishes a schedule for 330 days in advance (called Beginning of Schedule) and in the past would make tweaks quarterly and things would be fairly settles 3-4 months out. Updates would occur Friday evening / Saturday morning (Chicago time). Routine additions could occur anytime.

Present updates are every Friday and sometimes mid-week usually focused on the next month and farther out.

20 Oct 2021
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
In the earnings call today, UA noted that has been transitioning back to its 'normal' (pre-pandemic) 90-day schedule load process, which should be complete in the very near future.
However, during the COVID era, UA has gone to a more dynamic and shorter-term setting of schedule (as has the other carriers). Presently UA, while UA is still publishing a schedule for 330 days in advance it reflects pre-COVID operational levels and is considered just a placeholder schedule. Then 3-5 weeks prior to a month, UA makes a major update of that month's schedule.

Examples (Major updates)
The October 2020 schedule was updated 4-5 September 2020
The November 2020 schedule was updated 2-3 October 2020
The December 2020 schedule was updated 30-31 October 2020
Holidays can move the major date a week earlier or later.
Weekly updates are still generally done over night Friday-Saturday (Chicago)

UA does not publish a summary of most schedule changes but a variety of sources below do and summaries / links of those sources can be found in this thread & wiki.

Always crosscheck with UA's Travel Notices , Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel waivers and information, www.united.com/coronavirus as the situation is dynamic

Other Resources and Statistics
Archive: COVID19 UA-Schedule {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 3, 22, 3:06 pm

I got an email for a schedule change, surprisingly (the email, not the change), and it's quite a bit better than the previous notices. Changes clearly highlighted with both old and new flights/times shown, and very easy to read.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 3, 22, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by hi55us (Post # 4437) View Post
I hope the Port of Pasco (PSC) gets some money back from United. They paid united $750k in federal grant money for the PSC-LAX route that was then switched to PSX-ORD before being suspended due to Covid.
Originally Posted by Bear96 (Post # 4437) View Post
I don't know the details of that particular deal, but surely it didn't include a requirement that UA would have to operate flights to PSC forever?
Originally Posted by Mr.Nuke (Post # 4442) View Post
Yeah that isn't going to happen. Per the airport, the grant money ran out within the first 3 months of operation. https://www.tricitiesbusinessnews.co...12/lax-flight/
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post # 4444) View Post
Appears more the LAX route did not preform but UA saw better opportunities using different UA hubs. LAX was replaced by second SFO & ORD
Originally Posted by hi55us (Post # 4447) View Post
I'm sure it didn't, but they cut the route after only a year.
As set forth above, Pasco (PSC) clearly got what it was entitled to.
Old Mar 8, 22, 8:17 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Expect much deeper schedule cuts in the coming weeks with the specter looming of record-high oil prices and war potentially dampening EU advance bookings for summer 2022 as we enter vacation planning season...
Old Mar 8, 22, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Expect much deeper schedule cuts in the coming weeks with the specter looming of record-high oil prices and war potentially dampening EU advance bookings for summer 2022 as we enter vacation planning season...
makes sense.

were booked spring break (first week of April) SFO-LHR. Despite it being just a week into introducing the second flight, and me being worried that they might somehow cancel one, seat maps show a healthy load on both flights, though award availability on the later flight, which I would have preferred, is now available in X, which it wasnt before, Booked the Twosday sale so dont particularly want to make the change to 16K extra miles x 4, so hoping to SDC. I do wonder if more people will start to cancel closer to flight time - my wife was worried about potential spill over effects from Eastern Europe, but weve decided to go if it remains relatively status quo. Unfortunately, since COVID, seems its just one thing after another in world events, so well see what happens in the end.
Old Mar 9, 22, 8:19 am

Programs: UA MM 1K
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
makes sense.

were booked spring break (first week of April) SFO-LHR. Despite it being just a week into introducing the second flight, and me being worried that they might somehow cancel one, seat maps show a healthy load on both flights, though award availability on the later flight, which I would have preferred, is now available in X, which it wasnt before, Booked the Twosday sale so dont particularly want to make the change to 16K extra miles x 4, so hoping to SDC. I do wonder if more people will start to cancel closer to flight time - my wife was worried about potential spill over effects from Eastern Europe, but weve decided to go if it remains relatively status quo. Unfortunately, since COVID, seems its just one thing after another in world events, so well see what happens in the end.
Regardless of the published schedules, I wouldn't count on an INTL flight to operate in the future if it isn't already operating today. Sure, that will change some day but I don't sense that day is anytime soon.
Old Mar 9, 22, 9:02 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta PM
Did airlines dump any fuel price lock-ins as a result of the 90% schedule reductions at the start of the pandemic? Be interesting to see what any current terms are with the big players. I can easily see them trying to use current pricing as a ticket price increase even if theyre still paying 2021 fuel prices if theyve got a contract for that number.
Old Mar 9, 22, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
Regardless of the published schedules, I wouldn't count on an INTL flight to operate in the future if it isn't already operating today. Sure, that will change some day but I don't sense that day is anytime soon.
yes, get that. On the other hand, were about 3 weeks out, so feel pretty confident they will go, unless theres a ton of people canceling, or they go back to the early COVID strategy of canceling day of/night before, though I feel that doesnt help anyone involved (airline, pax, or staff), and theres a reason they did the adjustments up until ~1-1.5 months in advance - figure that would be essentially a worst case for UA.
Old Mar 9, 22, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
yes, get that. On the other hand, were about 3 weeks out, so feel pretty confident they will go, unless theres a ton of people canceling, or they go back to the early COVID strategy of canceling day of/night before, though I feel that doesnt help anyone involved (airline, pax, or staff), and theres a reason they did the adjustments up until ~1-1.5 months in advance - figure that would be essentially a worst case for UA.
I hope it works out for you and I agree that only three weeks out is a good sign.
Old Mar 11, 22, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Lots of changes loading. June changes domestic. I have September/October TPAC changes as well. SFO-SYD going 773
Old Mar 11, 22, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Lots of changes loading. June changes domestic. I have September/October TPAC changes as well. SFO-SYD going 773
781s make an appearance on LAX-ORD at 2x daily in June! First time I've ever seen that airplane on that route.
cesco.g and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 11, 22, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
77W (773) now on the SFO-HNL route for April spring break.

Complimentary Premium Plus will be nice compared to an old 772.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 22, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
781s make an appearance on LAX-ORD at 2x daily in June! First time I've ever seen that airplane on that route.
I have flown it on that route! In general, not sure about 2x daily for the 781 specifically, but they have been keeping a couple widebodies (mix 789, 772) per day recently. Demand seems kind of variable, sometimes full, sometimes less so.
Old Mar 12, 22, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, OZ Diamond
I had a 10min change for ZRH-ORD in May as well. Scared the heck out of me because I literally had just purchased the flight yesterday and there was already a schedule change.
Old Mar 16, 22, 10:55 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Gold
Originally Posted by zdog2x View Post
I believe my home airport DRO was subsidized in the past and fares were cheap. Now it regularly costs me $500 just for the RT 40 minute flight to Denver and the flights are packed. That said, at least we have lots of time options for a small regional, which is far preferable over a bad schedule.
We fly into DRO sometimes to go skiing in Wolf Creek. IAH-DEN-DRO R/T is often twice or 2 1/2 times the price of IAH-DEN R/T. Granted that is in the ski season, January/March, although I saw that kind of pricing last August as well. One time we actually considered renting a car in Denver and drive to DRO, but that's far.
And now Allegiant flies in there too.
Old Mar 19, 22, 8:22 am

UA just eliminated the early morning EWR-CLE flight which creates a 5 1/2 hour layover coming off my overnight flight (early May). At some point, schedule stability matters to passengers but it increasingly feels like UA isn't valuing this.

Search this Thread