UA-Schedule changes

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 5, 22, 2:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: dkc192
Wiki Link
UA publishes a schedule for 330 days in advance (called Beginning of Schedule) and in the past would make tweaks quarterly and things would be fairly settles 3-4 months out. Updates would occur Friday evening / Saturday morning (Chicago time). Routine additions could occur anytime.

Present updates are every Friday and sometimes mid-week usually focused on the next month and farther out.

20 Oct 2021
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
In the earnings call today, UA noted that has been transitioning back to its 'normal' (pre-pandemic) 90-day schedule load process, which should be complete in the very near future.
However, during the COVID era, UA has gone to a more dynamic and shorter-term setting of schedule (as has the other carriers). Presently UA, while UA is still publishing a schedule for 330 days in advance it reflects pre-COVID operational levels and is considered just a placeholder schedule. Then 3-5 weeks prior to a month, UA makes a major update of that month's schedule.

Examples (Major updates)
The October 2020 schedule was updated 4-5 September 2020
The November 2020 schedule was updated 2-3 October 2020
The December 2020 schedule was updated 30-31 October 2020
Holidays can move the major date a week earlier or later.
Weekly updates are still generally done over night Friday-Saturday (Chicago)

UA does not publish a summary of most schedule changes but a variety of sources below do and summaries / links of those sources can be found in this thread & wiki.

Always crosscheck with UA's Travel Notices , Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel waivers and information, www.united.com/coronavirus as the situation is dynamic

Other Resources and Statistics
Archive: COVID19 UA-Schedule {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 1, 22, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Launch of ORD-ZRH pushed out to April, now showing on 4/23 as UA#3 operated by B76L.
Old Mar 1, 22, 11:39 am

Programs: UA MM 1K
Originally Posted by CApreppie View Post
I don't see any threads/posts on the 17 route cuts The Points Guy confirmed from United this last Sunday.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...mestic-routes/
Have those routes been operating anyway? I know CAK-IAH hasn't operated since the beginning of the pandemic.
Old Mar 1, 22, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
Have those routes been operating anyway? I know CAK-IAH hasn't operated since the beginning of the pandemic.
The article notes that many of the routes were already suspended. This just says they won't be returning anytime soon.
Old Mar 1, 22, 5:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by glbltvlr View Post
The article notes that many of the routes were already suspended. This just says they won't be returning anytime soon.
I hope the Port of Pasco (PSC) gets some money back from United. They paid united $750k in federal grant money for the PSC-LAX route that was then switched to PSX-ORD before being suspended due to Covid.
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 22, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Southwest A-List+ due to work. Otherwise, paid F or Biz for pleasure so not a mileage junkie
Originally Posted by hi55us View Post
I hope the Port of Pasco (PSC) gets some money back from United. They paid united $750k in federal grant money for the PSC-LAX route that was then switched to PSX-ORD before being suspended due to Covid.
I don't know the details of that particular deal, but surely it didn't include a requirement that UA would have to operate flights to PSC forever?

Certainly if UA didn't live up to its end it should pay the difference between what it contracted to do and what it actually delivered. But $750k doesn't get you very far when talking about the cost per hour to operate a commercial airliner.
Old Mar 1, 22, 5:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Daily SFO<>PSC and 2xDaily DEN<>PSC continue to operate
Old Mar 1, 22, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Some of the articles indicate that the IAD cuts on United Express to many southeast stations are permanent when United indicated these were coming back in 2023 once pilot shortages (hopefully) softened. Has that changed? I find it hard to believe that UA is permanently cutting some of those markets like GSO, GSP, GRR and MKE permanently from IAD given such large international traffic flow at IAD.
Old Mar 2, 22, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Southwest A-List+ due to work. Otherwise, paid F or Biz for pleasure so not a mileage junkie
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
Some of the articles indicate that the IAD cuts on United Express to many southeast stations are permanent when United indicated these were coming back in 2023 once pilot shortages (hopefully) softened. Has that changed? I find it hard to believe that UA is permanently cutting some of those markets like GSO, GSP, GRR and MKE permanently from IAD given such large international traffic flow at IAD.
I find it hard to believe the regional pilot shortage will be resolved by 2023 (unless the war in Ukraine triggers a global recession or something else unforeseen happens).
Old Mar 2, 22, 9:21 am

Programs: UA
Yeah that isn't going to happen. Per the airport, the grant money ran out within the first 3 months of operation. https://www.tricitiesbusinessnews.co...12/lax-flight/
SPN Lifer and artvandalay like this.
Old Mar 2, 22, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Mr.Nuke View Post
Yeah that isn't going to happen. Per the airport, the grant money ran out within the first 3 months of operation. https://www.tricitiesbusinessnews.co...12/lax-flight/
Ah, so that's why there are no more flights.

David
Old Mar 2, 22, 10:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Ah, so that's why there are no more flights. ...
Appears more the LAX route did not preform but UA saw better opportunities using different UA hubs. LAX was replaced by second SFO & ORD
Old Mar 2, 22, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Appears more the LAX route did not preform but UA saw better opportunities using different UA hubs. LAX was replaced by second SFO & ORD
Still not a fan.

David
Old Mar 3, 22, 7:55 am

Programs: 1K
I believe my home airport DRO was subsidized in the past and fares were cheap. Now it regularly costs me $500 just for the RT 40 minute flight to Denver and the flights are packed. That said, at least we have lots of time options for a small regional, which is far preferable over a bad schedule.
Old Mar 3, 22, 10:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by Bear96 View Post
I don't know the details of that particular deal, but surely it didn't include a requirement that UA would have to operate flights to PSC forever?
I'm sure it didn't, but they cut the route after only a year.
Old Mar 3, 22, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
My July 1 SFO-SBA segment just got dropped yesterday. Original routing OGG-SFO-SBA is now OGG-LAX-SBA. Actually preferred the LAX routing but it was $200 more when I originally booked. Flight departure and arrival times are almost the same as before, so for once, this worked out OK!

Search this Thread