UA-Schedule changes

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 29, 22, 10:43 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA publishes a schedule for 330 days in advance (called Beginning of Schedule) and in the past would make tweaks quarterly and things would be fairly settles 3-4 months out. Updates would occur Friday evening / Saturday morning (Chicago time). Routine additions could occur anytime.

Present updates are every Friday and sometimes mid-week usually focused on the next month and farther out.
Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

20 Oct 2021
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
In the earnings call today, UA noted that has been transitioning back to its 'normal' (pre-pandemic) 90-day schedule load process, which should be complete in the very near future.
However, during the COVID era, UA has gone to a more dynamic and shorter-term setting of schedule (as has the other carriers). Presently UA, while UA is still publishing a schedule for 330 days in advance it reflects pre-COVID operational levels and is considered just a placeholder schedule. Then 3-5 weeks prior to a month, UA makes a major update of that month's schedule.

Examples (Major updates)
The October 2020 schedule was updated 4-5 September 2020
The November 2020 schedule was updated 2-3 October 2020
The December 2020 schedule was updated 30-31 October 2020
Holidays can move the major date a week earlier or later.
Weekly updates are still generally done over night Friday-Saturday (Chicago)

UA does not publish a summary of most schedule changes but a variety of sources below do and summaries / links of those sources can be found in this thread & wiki.

Always crosscheck with UA's Travel Notices , Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel waivers and information, www.united.com/coronavirus as the situation is dynamic

Other Resources and Statistics
Archive: COVID19 UA-Schedule {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 20, 22, 1:59 pm

YUL-ORD got cxl causing a misconnect to my ORD-OGG flight in January on JN fare.

2 hour phone call with a terrible rep who refunded the ticket (without me asking) ended up putting me on YUL-EWR-OGG back in JN for 2k miles less, although now with a 20 hr layover in EWR. All in gonna call it a win.
Old Sep 20, 22, 3:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sgan317 View Post
YUL-ORD got cxl causing a misconnect to my ORD-OGG flight in January on JN fare.

2 hour phone call with a terrible rep who refunded the ticket (without me asking) ended up putting me on YUL-EWR-OGG back in JN for 2k miles less, although now with a 20 hr layover in EWR. All in gonna call it a win.
Assume you would have to overnight at EWR at your own expense?
Old Sep 20, 22, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Assume you would have to overnight at EWR at your own expense?
Yes, UA does not provide accommodation on overnights caused by schedule changes months in advance.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA-K
Now that Japan announced it's reopening to the masses of foreigners, I'm looking at my LAX-HND flight in Dec that was axed earlier this month. I'm currently rebooked through Narita. This sucks for two reasons:
1. I need to go to the Fujisawa area, and Narita is just plain far and inconvenient
2. Narita flights will be slammed due to tourism and as a pass-through for travel going to points beyond Tokyo.

My HND-LAX flight in January is still alive at the moment,

Anyone have a guess whether the LAX-HND flights will come back now that things are reopening?
Old Sep 23, 22, 6:34 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by rworne View Post
Now that Japan announced it's reopening to the masses of foreigners, I'm looking at my LAX-HND flight in Dec that was axed earlier this month. I'm currently rebooked through Narita. This sucks for two reasons:
1. I need to go to the Fujisawa area, and Narita is just plain far and inconvenient
2. Narita flights will be slammed due to tourism and as a pass-through for travel going to points beyond Tokyo.

Anyone have a guess whether the LAX-HND flights will come back now that things are reopening?
Is SFO-HND available for your December trip? If so, you can call United to change to LAX-SFO-HND.
Good luck.
Old Sep 23, 22, 7:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...Anyone have a guess whether the LAX-HND flights will come back now that things are reopening?
It is very hard for UA to start service in less than 2 months and 3 is more standard. There is a lot of resource planning / scheduling that needs to be done with months of lead time -- crews, aircraft, ground services, .... While UA is criticized for it, it is the reason for rolling schedule cancellations, it is easier to drop a schedule then it is to add to the schedule
Old Sep 23, 22, 9:25 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

Who knows - but I'm skeptical UA will add a bunch of Japan flights all of a sudden.

Demand for Japanese travelers to the US is expected to be very soft with the Yen over 140 to 1 Dollar (versus 105-110 pre-pandemic) and winter tends to be a softer travel period. It is however a great time for US travelers to go to Japan but I doubt demand of mostly US based travelers will fill the plane.
jsloan and artvandalay like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Just got a mid-November change. 781 on EWR-LAX got swapped for a 752.
Old Sep 26, 22, 11:26 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
Just got a mid-November change. 781 on EWR-LAX got swapped for a 752.
Yeah, my 10:30AM EWR-LAX flight in December was changed a week or so ago 781->752, and just now November too... At least so far my preferred ~8AM LAX-EWR return flights for both these trips is still 781...

Search this Thread