UA-Schedule changes

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 5, 22, 2:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: dkc192
Wiki Link
UA publishes a schedule for 330 days in advance (called Beginning of Schedule) and in the past would make tweaks quarterly and things would be fairly settles 3-4 months out. Updates would occur Friday evening / Saturday morning (Chicago time). Routine additions could occur anytime.

Present updates are every Friday and sometimes mid-week usually focused on the next month and farther out.

20 Oct 2021
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
In the earnings call today, UA noted that has been transitioning back to its 'normal' (pre-pandemic) 90-day schedule load process, which should be complete in the very near future.
However, during the COVID era, UA has gone to a more dynamic and shorter-term setting of schedule (as has the other carriers). Presently UA, while UA is still publishing a schedule for 330 days in advance it reflects pre-COVID operational levels and is considered just a placeholder schedule. Then 3-5 weeks prior to a month, UA makes a major update of that month's schedule.

Examples (Major updates)
The October 2020 schedule was updated 4-5 September 2020
The November 2020 schedule was updated 2-3 October 2020
The December 2020 schedule was updated 30-31 October 2020
Holidays can move the major date a week earlier or later.
Weekly updates are still generally done over night Friday-Saturday (Chicago)

UA does not publish a summary of most schedule changes but a variety of sources below do and summaries / links of those sources can be found in this thread & wiki.

Always crosscheck with UA's Travel Notices , Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel waivers and information, www.united.com/coronavirus as the situation is dynamic

Other Resources and Statistics
Archive: COVID19 UA-Schedule {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 2, 22, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Gold
Ever since UA cancelled their new EWR-ARN flight before it even got going, it is almost impossible to get to Stockholm this summer on award tickets. I have a cruise booked and payed for that leaves from Stockholm on Aug. 16. My original ticket was 8/13 MCI-EWR-ARN on UA flights. Then it had to be changed to MCI-EWR-MUC on UA, MUC-ARN on LH. Then changed by UA to MCI-ORD-MUC on UA, MUC-ARN on LH with a misconnect to arrive in Munich an hour after the flight to Stockholm left. Then changed to MCI-IAD-MUC on UA, MUC-ARN on LH by me spending 2 hours on the phone. Every time UA cancels a TATL flight to Europe it limits the options to go on from gateway cities to Stockholm. As it is, I am arriving 2 days before the cruise which is a good thing. If I was coming I the day of the cruise I would likely miss it.

How many more cancellations will there be between now and mid August? If I had not already made the final payment in full for the cruise I would be cancelling the whole trip and doing it next year. In over 30 years of flying with UA awards for vacations I have never had so many cancellations and changes to my award flights.
Old Jul 2, 22, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
Ever since UA cancelled their new EWR-ARN flight before it even got going, it is almost impossible to get to Stockholm this summer on award tickets. I have a cruise booked and payed for that leaves from Stockholm on Aug. 16. My original ticket was 8/13 MCI-EWR-ARN on UA flights. Then it had to be changed to MCI-EWR-MUC on UA, MUC-ARN on LH. Then changed by UA to MCI-ORD-MUC on UA, MUC-ARN on LH with a misconnect to arrive in Munich an hour after the flight to Stockholm left. Then changed to MCI-IAD-MUC on UA, MUC-ARN on LH by me spending 2 hours on the phone. Every time UA cancels a TATL flight to Europe it limits the options to go on from gateway cities to Stockholm. As it is, I am arriving 2 days before the cruise which is a good thing. If I was coming I the day of the cruise I would likely miss it.

How many more cancellations will there be between now and mid August? If I had not already made the final payment in full for the cruise I would be cancelling the whole trip and doing it next year. In over 30 years of flying with UA awards for vacations I have never had so many cancellations and changes to my award flights.
There was another adjustment last night. I would expect TATL to be stable for August.
Old Jul 2, 22, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Seems like every few weeks my EWR-GRU flight departure time changes a bit. More time in the PL I guess.
Old Jul 2, 22, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold
what changed?

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
There was another adjustment last night. I would expect TATL to be stable for August.
Any way to see a summary of what changed last night? What TATL flights is UA operating in August? Do they still operate IAD-MUC for August?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 3, 22 at 10:12 am Reason: split post
Old Jul 2, 22, 12:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Assume this is a rhetorical question.

This is far from a UA problem, as bad as UA has been and it has been bad, DL, AA, LH, LX, ... have been worse So watch your connection European flights, I am.

As mentioned, the airlines do seem to be trying (finally) to get ahead of this.
Any way to see a summary of what changed last night? What TATL flights is UA operating in August? Do they still operate IAD-MUC for August? ...
Check your booked flights, it will tell you if they have changed
artvandalay likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 3, 22 at 10:11 am Reason: split post
Old Jul 4, 22, 11:30 pm

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
For me it's the 739 because of the location of the lavatories.
Yea toss that one in too, the whole 73 fam. Iíve largely been able to avoid them by scheduling around them. My travel patterns keeps me away from short-haul and midcons.

Maybe iíll mis connect and have to layover SFO and take the 773 first thing in the morning
Old Jul 5, 22, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Seems like the SFO-YYZ nonstop is gone again, at least Aug through end of Oct. finally looks like Iíll start going back after Labor Day, and was tracking my dates. Now itís only AC for the nonstop (blah) - or UA via the usual suspects (DEN/ORD/EWR). Was waiting for it to get going after being delayed multiple times last year and earlier this year. was hoping to use some of my ETCs too, but fares via UA are through the roof, even compared to a couple weeks ago - where post-labor day they could be had for <$500 in Y, still that way via AC. Via UA, now only B fares showing on AC-operated codehsares, and UA connections in K are $900! Whoosh. I hate using AC, and having to book with them (especially with everything going on with them now), but almost no choice now.

i do wonder what caused UA to cancel for now, and if there are other US-Canada routes/frequencies affected. Suspect with the giant mess they call YYZ these days, maybe they worked to reduce frequencies and put this flight out - given the amount AC and Westhet have already canceled over the next few months.
Old Jul 5, 22, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Southwest A-List+ due to work. Otherwise, paid F or Biz for pleasure so not a mileage junkie
Originally Posted by angetenar View Post
I receive an email about a schedule change, and this was what changed:

I have no further comments.
Thank goodness they gave you advance notice! Imagine your shock if you arrived at the airport the day of the flight only to find out then.
jsloan and Flying Machine like this.
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bear96 View Post
Thank goodness they gave you advance notice! Imagine your shock if you arrived at the airport the day of the flight only to find out then.
what would be a huge issue is if the flight ends up being delayed by 1 minute now. Iíd ask for big time comp!😀
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 6, 22, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mid week schedule change. AKL-SFO for October. Minor change in flight time ... 787-10
Old Jul 6, 22, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.024MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Select; WoH Dis
Got a change for January. All they marked was a flight number change, but they didn't bother to highlight the equipment change (E75 to 319) which resulted in bad seat assignments.
Old Jul 7, 22, 3:41 am

Programs: DL SM
It seems United suspended the IAD - AMS flights for August as well. At least my flight doesn't appear on the itinerary anymore.
I'm sure I'll be put on some plane back to Ams somehow, I just lost 4 great Polaris seats now and sitting together will be a challenge
Old Jul 7, 22, 3:45 am

Programs: United currently plat
Well shucks UA has cancelled service from NRT-HNL 902 (on 9/7 at least and the days around it that i checked)
My routing was ICN-NRT on OS and then NRT-HNL on UA. There isn't anything else bookable at this time.

Before I call in, what recourse or leverage if any do I have to be able to take this trip? Based on the lack of award inventory in any class of service on the routing that day.

I had just posted earlier today that I was holding out for NH availability and switching over to that, but I do need to take this flight either way so I feel backed in here...
Old Jul 7, 22, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evol View Post
Well shucks UA has cancelled service from NRT-HNL 902 (on 9/7 at least and the days around it that i checked)
My routing was ICN-NRT on OS and then NRT-HNL on UA. There isn't anything else bookable at this time.

Before I call in, what recourse or leverage if any do I have to be able to take this trip? Based on the lack of award inventory in any class of service on the routing that day.

I had just posted earlier today that I was holding out for NH availability and switching over to that, but I do need to take this flight either way so I feel backed in here...
ICN-SFO-HNL
Old Jul 7, 22, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by angetenar View Post
I receive an email about a schedule change, and this was what changed:

I have no further comments.
Enough for a free one-time change?

Search this Thread