UA-Schedule changes

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 2, 22, 4:59 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Reported June 2022 widebody suspensions
  • EWR-HNL
  • EWR-OGG
  • EWR-NRT
  • EWR-ARN
  • 2nd EWR CDG
  • 2nd SFO-FRA
  • 2nd ORD-FRA
  • IAD-HNL
  • IAD-DUB
  • IAD-GVA
  • IAD-GRU
Zero'ed out June widebody flights ???
  • DEN-HNL
  • DEN-OGG
  • ORD-HNL
  • 2nd EWR-FRA

UA publishes a schedule for 330 days in advance (called Beginning of Schedule) and in the past would make tweaks quarterly and things would be fairly settles 3-4 months out. Updates would occur Friday evening / Saturday morning (Chicago time). Routine additions could occur anytime.

Present updates are every Friday and sometimes mid-week usually focused on the next month and farther out.

20 Oct 2021
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
In the earnings call today, UA noted that has been transitioning back to its 'normal' (pre-pandemic) 90-day schedule load process, which should be complete in the very near future.
However, during the COVID era, UA has gone to a more dynamic and shorter-term setting of schedule (as has the other carriers). Presently UA, while UA is still publishing a schedule for 330 days in advance it reflects pre-COVID operational levels and is considered just a placeholder schedule. Then 3-5 weeks prior to a month, UA makes a major update of that month's schedule.

Examples (Major updates)
The October 2020 schedule was updated 4-5 September 2020
The November 2020 schedule was updated 2-3 October 2020
The December 2020 schedule was updated 30-31 October 2020
Holidays can move the major date a week earlier or later.
Weekly updates are still generally done over night Friday-Saturday (Chicago)

UA does not publish a summary of most schedule changes but a variety of sources below do and summaries / links of those sources can be found in this thread & wiki.

Always crosscheck with UA's Travel Notices , Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel waivers and information, www.united.com/coronavirus as the situation is dynamic

Other Resources and Statistics
Archive: COVID19 UA-Schedule {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old May 26, 22, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
That's all I was asking for. Obviously the ticketing airline needs to reissue it. They have to do that either way due to the change that was made. I literally said to the agent can you just change the segments on the PNR and I will call the issuing carrier to have them reticket it.
Fair enough. That didnít come through in your message. (I suspect theyíve already reissued the ticket, though).

The problem is, changing the PNR would not have accomplished what you wanted. The UA agent could load the segments into the PNR, and when Avianca went to reissue it, the reissue would have failed because there was no inventory. Thatís why a conference call is needed; UA has to force open inventory that Avianca can use to get the flight confirmed, and the only way that has even a chance of happening is if they know that the issuing airline is going to push a request for that space through immediately. (A PNR can contain absolutely anything ó itís not until somebody tries to ticket it that any of the values are validated).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Pretty sure that is very much against policy / process and the issuing airline could have taken great umbrage.
I guess it depends upon whether or not Avianca uses the same GDS as United. If not, Avianca probably wouldnít even know. If they do, yes, I could see how that could be irritating, but Iím not sure itís much different from any other schedule change. (But, as noted, itís not sufficient to fix the situation).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
As much as you wished this, this is not how the industry operates. The conference call is the solution and if UA was the issuing airline, most partners will not open space after they make a schedule change.
Youíre certainly right about the latter, but (until 2020, anyway), UA seemed to be responsible for a huge percentage of the schedule changes within *A (That may just be our perceptionÖ) Anyway, I donít see any harm in asking UA to open space as they would if it were a MileagePlus ticket.
Old May 27, 22, 2:22 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ(RIP) Freccia Alata+, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez
https://www.1011now.com/2022/05/26/l...light-houston/

Starting Lincoln to Houston once daily.
Old May 29, 22, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian View Post
https://www.1011now.com/2022/05/26/l...light-houston/

Starting Lincoln to Houston once daily.
Probably not a bad move. UA is the only carrier serving LNK after DL's pullout last year, and they're getting the $750,000 subsidy that was intended for AA to start DFW service as well as $500,000 from the city/university.
Old May 29, 22, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, WN A-List, Hilto Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Mr.Nuke View Post
Probably not a bad move. UA is the only carrier serving LNK after DL's pullout last year, and they're getting the $750,000 subsidy that was intended for AA to start DFW service as well as $500,000 from the city/university.
I just wish it wasnít on a 50-seater. If itís an ERJ then I might consider it, but if itís on a CRJ then I will continue to book IAH-OMA.
FlyingHoustonian likes this.
Old May 30, 22, 1:45 pm

Programs: SPG, OnePass, AAdvantage
I live in NYC, fly out of EWR and need to get to Gander (YQX) in September and November. The EWR-YHZ used to be the best way to do this, but it's suspended and remains so. From the thread it looks if there is any chance of it resuming, I should know ~90 days out. Is that correct?
Old May 30, 22, 1:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsaroff View Post
I live in NYC, fly out of EWR and need to get to Gander (YQX) in September and November. The EWR-YHZ used to be the best way to do this, but it's suspended and remains so. From the thread it looks if there is any chance of it resuming, I should know ~90 days out. Is that correct?
My guess that is more of a summer route vs winter, so if it was to resume you would have expected that by now. AC or WestJet/WS 1-stop options>
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:17 pm

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
DFW

Gutted in July. Have a 6 hour layover from KEF as they got rid all afternoon flights!
Old Jun 25, 22, 2:20 pm

I had ua947 (Ams-iad) canceled for July 22nd. Is this due to the Ams traffic restrictions, is there a way to tell?
Old Jun 25, 22, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by zig666 View Post
I had ua947 (Ams-iad) canceled for July 22nd. Is this due to the Ams traffic restrictions, is there a way to tell?
IAD-AMS suspended for July
Old Jun 27, 22, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Have a 1 stop flight to CLT months out that had a schedule change both on the outbound and return. The outbound and return are separate 1-way itineraries. Not a huge change (an hour or two at most in each direction) but each itinerary states that my companion and I are eligible for a free one-time flight change.

When I search I'm offered a plethora of other options at a supposed 0 cost. However, when I click through any of them, it shows the cost of the new trip minus my original fare (which should equal 0) but then shows me owing a large difference. Is this an IT thing and I just need to call in or am I mis-interpreting? I guess maybe the original fare class isn't available on any of these flights even though it shows $0 change fee? Schedule change happened about a week ago and I've been looking every day with the same results. Departure date is within +/-1. Origin and destination is the same. Pics attached.

Old Jun 27, 22, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR-G, HH-S, IHG, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
Have a 1 stop flight to CLT months out that had a schedule change both on the outbound and return. The outbound and return are separate 1-way itineraries. Not a huge change (an hour or two at most in each direction) but each itinerary states that my companion and I are eligible for a free one-time flight change.

When I search I'm offered a plethora of other options at a supposed 0 cost. However, when I click through any of them, it shows the cost of the new trip minus my original fare (which should equal 0) but then shows me owing a large difference. Is this an IT thing and I just need to call in or am I mis-interpreting? I guess maybe the original fare class isn't available on any of these flights even though it shows $0 change fee? Schedule change happened about a week ago and I've been looking every day with the same results. Departure date is within +/-1. Origin and destination is the same. Pics attached.
I just did the same last Wed night when they canceled my EWR-LAX. I picked a whole new set of flights, $0 out, $0 return. It said $538 due. I hit "purchase". Email came in saying cannot ticket. I called in. Agent saw no additional charge, and ticketed it. The updated PNR (thanks to pnr.sh mentioned in another thread) had no new charge. But Chase.com still shows $538 authorization pending on my Explorer. But as of Sunday night, it had not become a posted transaction and had not dropped off.
Old Jun 27, 22, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by bsb7140 View Post
IAD-AMS suspended for July
Most of August as well. Looks like operating on somewhat random days, only I think 7 days in August.
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:33 pm

Programs: United
Best UA hubs to fly out of for Rewards Travel to EWR in the Summer

The three of us were planning on coming back to EWR from MAN via BRUin August on 60k business class award tickets. Tonight, I got an email to call UA and I found out that the MAN-BRU flight now arrives after the BRU-EWR flight departs. Of course UA only wants to offer flights that cost more miles. We have some options here. We are staying in Edinburgh and were going to do a driving tour after, ending in MAN. But we could go elsewhere. We could easily take a train to London and depart of one of the flights there, but maybe there are other nearby destinations we might enjoy? A short flight on (shudder...) Ryanair or some such would still be better than burning a ton of miles. We are with our teenager so a drunken night in Dublin isn't going to be much fun (and I've been to Ireland 60 times so I know all the attractions there). BRU would have been fun. It has a cool museum of musical instruments, if nothing else.

Any thoughts on what has low nonstop miles back to EWR? Not Frankfurt. One of the most boring cities in Europe.
Old Jun 27, 22, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
UA can and should rebook you on any one of their own TATL flights without charging more miles, regardless of award availability. The catch is that your origin has to be MAN (or somewhere within 250 miles of MAN), and you'd need to find award availability on any European connections to the point of departure for the UA flight.

LHR-EWR as you suggested is an option. If you were set on BRU, you can stay on the MAN-BRU flight and ask to be rebooked on the next day's BRU-EWR. I'd enjoy a night in LHR or BRU. Not sure about DUB as I haven't been there. MUC or VIE are also interesting cities and *A hubs, if you can find award availability on MAN-MUC or MAN-VIE.

Think of what you want and call UA back to request a rebooking due to the schedule change. Something like this is a good start: "Hi, my flight had a schedule change so we now have an illogical connection in BRU. Can we rebook onto flights XXX and YYY on dates AAA and BBB?"
jsloan and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Jun 28, 22, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
Think of what you want and call UA back to request a rebooking due to the schedule change. Something like this is a good start: "Hi, my flight had a schedule change so we now have an illogical connection in BRU. Can we rebook onto flights XXX and YYY on dates AAA and BBB?"
I agree 99%. The only caveat is that UA will likely insist that the new itinerary be something that the computer came up with.

OP: Do an award search for MAN-EWR on your travel date. Ignore the number of miles; just look to see that there's availability in your fare class. They should be able to book you on anything that comes back. The only exception I'd add would be that dkc192 is correct that if you just want to be booked on the next day's BRU-EWR instead, that should be straightforward even if the computer doesn't come up with that on its own.

In the future, note that you can generally get a short-haul flight to the continent for the same, or less, as the excess Air Passenger Duty charged for business class departures to the US. The APD for long-haul, business class flights is £185 per passenger. Short-haul business class is £84; short-haul economy is £13. (Children under 16 are exempt in economy class only). And, if this is a round-trip, you could use the Excursionist Perk to get a flight from the UK to the Continent for 0 additional miles -- taxes and fees only. So, on your next trip, it may make sense to build in a stopover ( > 24 hours) in another country on the way back from the UK anyway.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Search this Thread