Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
By 2023, UA has returned to the more traditional pre-COVID schedule update process. There are still some closer in changes but far less than during the COVID era.

UA publishes a schedule for 330 days in advance (called Beginning of Schedule) and in the past would make tweaks quarterly and things would be fairly settles 3-4 months out. Updates would occur Friday evening / Saturday morning (Chicago time). Routine additions could occur anytime.

Present updates are every Friday and sometimes mid-week usually focused on the next month and farther out.
Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

20 Oct 2021
Originally Posted by EWR764
In the earnings call today, UA noted that has been transitioning back to its 'normal' (pre-pandemic) 90-day schedule load process, which should be complete in the very near future.
However, during the COVID era, UA has gone to a more dynamic and shorter-term setting of schedule (as has the other carriers). Presently UA, while UA is still publishing a schedule for 330 days in advance it reflects pre-COVID operational levels and is considered just a placeholder schedule. Then 3-5 weeks prior to a month, UA makes a major update of that month's schedule.

Examples (Major updates)
The October 2020 schedule was updated 4-5 September 2020
The November 2020 schedule was updated 2-3 October 2020
The December 2020 schedule was updated 30-31 October 2020
Holidays can move the major date a week earlier or later.
Weekly updates are still generally done over night Friday-Saturday (Chicago)

UA does not publish a summary of most schedule changes but a variety of sources below do and summaries / links of those sources can be found in this thread & wiki.

Always crosscheck with UA's Travel Notices , Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel waivers and information, www.united.com/coronavirus as the situation is dynamic

Other Resources and Statistics
Archive: COVID19 UA-Schedule {Archive}
new Archive : UA-Schedule changes {Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA System Schedule changes

Old Feb 18, 2023, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
It will be AC's responsibility to get you to WAW, although UA may be willing to help also. You should not need award space, although some agents may insist upon it anyway. (*A rules are very clear on this, but they're not always obeyed). LAX is a relatively small hub for UA, particularly TATL, so if they can't get you onto LH or LX you may be looking at an extra connection on the East Coast. AC may also try to route you back through YYZ.

If it looks like you may have issues, I'd be prepared by looking to see what alternate *A flights have inventory so you can be prepared to ask.
Thank you! just got a email "We’re trying to reach you with an important message about your upcoming flight. Please give us a call at 1-888-825-7684 as soon as possible."

Checked online the AC flight been pushed back 1 hour so left me 8 mins to transit in LAX now I guess I can call in ask any flights 155k miles I want? (better transit from SFO/DEN since it's a UA hub?), actually I would prefer to travel 3 days earlier do you think that will ask too much or worth a try? Just want to be prepared before call in.

If they won't change the date I'm thinking of wait for last-minute transpacific business class space https://princeoftravel.com/guides/wh...m-award-seats/, do you know if United still release these seats nowdays?
Old Feb 18, 2023, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ecgz88
Thank you! just got a email "We’re trying to reach you with an important message about your upcoming flight. Please give us a call at 1-888-825-7684 as soon as possible."

Checked online the AC flight been pushed back 1 hour so left me 8 mins to transit in LAX now I guess I can call in ask any flights 155k miles I want? (better transit from SFO/DEN since it's a UA hub?), actually I would prefer to travel 3 days earlier do you think that will ask too much or worth a try? Just want to be prepared before call in.

If they won't change the date I'm thinking of wait for last-minute transpacific business class space https://princeoftravel.com/guides/wh...m-award-seats/, do you know if United still release these seats nowdays?
You can call in and ask for anything that you see when you do a miles search on United’s website, regardless of the number of miles. Moving travel by three days probably won’t be allowed unless that’s the only reasonable flight combination (and even then you might get pushback). And, yes, I’d avoid LAX to the extent possible; you’ll have more UA options through ORD or SFO.

UA may well offer last-minute award space, but I don’t really see how TPAC space helps you very much. You’re unlikely to be able to do anything like YVR-SFO-NRT-FRA-WAW without paying a bunch of extra miles.
ecgz88 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 4:51 am

Programs: UA MM

They’re probably going to put you on the next earlier YVR-LAX flight so you can still connect to the evening flight to LHR. As already mentioned, you can ask for something else but it’s possible you’ll still need to be on that same LO flight out of LHR since UA can’t get you to WAW without using another *A airline.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Some good news here, I think. Received a schedule change for Hawaii in May... noticed during my habitual morning checking of the reservations.

However, this time I actually had an email from United about it, sent out concurrently with the schedule change. It's a minor change but, if it is consistent, is a long due QOL fix.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
if it is consistent, is a long due QOL fix.
It's not.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 12:47 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's not.
not consistent, not long due, or not a qol fix? Time will tell on the first, agree to disagree on the latter.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
not consistent, not long due, or not a qol fix? Time will tell on the first
Not consistent. Time has already told. Every time someone gets an email, they think it's the beginning of a change for the better, but time has shows that it's just random chance.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 3:07 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Since usually all we hear is bad news about seat assignments being canceled/changed during a UA schedule change, I'm happy to report that one of my April reservations just had a flight number change (IAH-LAX, with the same 739 equipment) and my seat assignment stuck. i.e I have the same seat as I had before the schedule change. See, sometimes it does work! 👍🏼
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
You can call in and ask for anything that you see when you do a miles search on United’s website, regardless of the number of miles. Moving travel by three days probably won’t be allowed unless that’s the only reasonable flight combination (and even then you might get pushback). And, yes, I’d avoid LAX to the extent possible; you’ll have more UA options through ORD or SFO.

UA may well offer last-minute award space, but I don’t really see how TPAC space helps you very much. You’re unlikely to be able to do anything like YVR-SFO-NRT-FRA-WAW without paying a bunch of extra miles.
call in tonight some interesting things: since my original flight AC YVR-LAX is AC economy, rep said my new flight YVR-SFO UA has to be economy even though UA Busi is available, and during the calls LHR-WAW LO seats is gone I ask to route through AMS but rep said have to route through LHR .......so in the end they can't put me on flights 3 days earlier instead put me on flights 2 days earlier
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

call in tonight some interesting things: since my original flight AC YVR-LAX is AC economy, rep said my new flight YVR-SFO UA has to be economy even though UA Busi is available, and during the calls LHR-WAW LO seats is gone I ask to route through AMS but rep said have to route through LHR .......so in the end they can't put me on flights 3 days earlier instead put me on flights 2 days earlier
If you were originally on a mixed award, UA's system will default to keeping you in the same fare classes you were in originally. If there's saver space on the UA flight, I doubt you'd have much trouble getting it; if not, I'm not surprised they'd insist on economy. It's an edge case, and I'm not necessarily saying that they're right, just that I can see their side and can't really prove that they're wrong.

Not being able to change a connection point doesn't make a ton of sense. I get the sense that agents have been instructed to be more strict after schedule changes, but they haven't told us exactly what they're being strict about (and different agents seem to have different interpretations). I've read some reports that agents have claimed that you can't change carriers after a schedule change, but this is the first time I've heard anyone claim that you can't change connecting airports.

It seems like you got an acceptable compromise, but you can still work to improve it if you want. Keep an eye on inventory for the day you actually want to travel; if some new inventory opens up there, you should be able to snag it.

Good luck!.
SPN Lifer and ecgz88 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Flying LHR-IAH next Wednesday through ORD. Just had a text from UA stating UA929 is canceled and will be rebooked. Flight is not showing in flight search but booking currently looks intact.

Two questions:
1. Should I wait for UA to rebook or should I call?
2. I successfully applied PlusPoints to both legs with confirmed upgrades. Will UA honor this on rebooked flight even if PZ space isn’t available?

Seemed like load for the flight was light so perhaps why it has been canceled…
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
UA should auto rebook you. I would wait a day or two and see what happens. If the rebooked itinerary is not satisfactory, or if you're concerned about alternative flights selling out in J, UA should rebook you on a reasonable alternative flight of your choice (e.g., LHR-IAH nonstop) in PZ, regardless of availability.
mattg85 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192
UA should auto rebook you. I would wait a day or two and see what happens. If the rebooked itinerary is not satisfactory, or if you're concerned about alternative flights selling out in J, UA should rebook you on a reasonable alternative flight of your choice (e.g., LHR-IAH nonstop) in PZ, regardless of availability.
Thanks - I will wait to see what happens. There is J in the non stop so that would be preferable. Will keep a look out and call before I leave for the UK if nothing changes.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 6:36 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
UA may call you, instead

Originally Posted by mattg85
Flying LHR-IAH next Wednesday through ORD. Just had a text from UA stating UA929 is canceled and will be rebooked. Flight is not showing in flight search but booking currently looks intact.

Two questions:
1. Should I wait for UA to rebook or should I call?
2. I successfully applied PlusPoints to both legs with confirmed upgrades. Will UA honor this on rebooked flight even if PZ space isn’t available?

Seemed like load for the flight was light so perhaps why it has been canceled…
UA may call you, answering the call from 1-800-864-8331. The agent can change your flight in a minute or less. I received this call for the cancelled PVG-ORD flight last night (~8:45 pm EST).
Good luck.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kmxu
UA may call you, answering the call from 1-800-864-8331. The agent can change your flight in a minute or less. I received this call for the cancelled PVG-ORD flight last night (~8:45 pm EST).
Good luck.
That's an awesome agent.

David
artvandalay likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.