FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA Suspensions,Reductions,Waivers;Cuts 90% Intl April,All Cities waiver 31May (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-suspensions-reductions-waivers-cuts-90-intl-april-all-cities-waiver-31may.html)

DELee Jan 22, 20 9:41 pm

COVID19 UA Suspensions,Reductions,Waivers;Cuts 90% Intl April,All Cities waiver 31May

1 Attachment(s)
Airports:

• Wuhan, China (WUH)

Refunds are allowed for unflown flights, even for nonrefundable tickets. Please visit united.com/refunds to submit a refund request. Original ticket must have been purchased by: January 21, 2020.

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...eptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code (posted): 3

David

STS-134 Jan 22, 20 9:59 pm

Curious, given that UA doesn't even fly to WUH.

gokeeper Jan 22, 20 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 31983952)

You can fly uNited ticket to WUH via either PEK(CA) or NRT(NH)

WineCountryUA Jan 22, 20 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 31983952)

Perhaps UA has a number of tickets connecting (such as in PWK, HKG, NRT, ...) to WUH.

UA has done waivers which have included JFK

STS-134 Jan 22, 20 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31983966)
Perhaps UA has a number of tickets connecting (such as in PWK, HKG, NRT, ...) to WUH.

Definitely possible, but China isn't a place where people necessarily fly to anywhere close to their ultimate destination. Wuhan is a sort of hub on the HSR network, and is kind of equidistant between SHA/PVG and CAN/SZX/HKG, and not that much further from PEK/PKX than it is from those first two general areas. Why'd they give a waiver for travel to WUH but not the others? And even then, only if on a single ticket?

WineCountryUA Jan 22, 20 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 31983980)
... Why'd they give a waiver for travel to WUH but not the others?...

Wuhan is considered ground zero for the Coronavirus

Wuhan is presently under a
quarantine

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 31983980)
... And even then, only if on a single ticket?...

Standard protection only applies to a single ticket, as do all waivers

kevflyer Jan 22, 20 10:46 pm

Possible they'll expand waiver to other cities like CAN or HKG? Seems like a lot of people I know are dropping their plans to go anywhere within China.

deskover54 Jan 22, 20 11:22 pm

they should issue a waiver for all china airports. that would be the customer friendly thing to do.

npei Jan 22, 20 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by deskover54 (Post 31984108)
they should issue a waiver for all china airports. that would be the customer friendly thing to do.

UA may be compelled to expand travel waiver to more cities after next 2 weeks (incubation period, and lunar holiday travel), when situation worsens for multiple cities with more confirmed cases. Beijing & Shanghai & Hong Kong already have reported initial cases.

Kmxu Jan 23, 20 1:39 am

Originally Posted by kevflyer (Post 31984043)
Possible they'll expand waiver to other cities like CAN or HKG? Seems like a lot of people I know are dropping their plans to go anywhere within China.

I am in China now. Wuhan is totally isolated now. No one can escape or enter Wuhan right now, which is unimaginable in US. Because the lunar New Year, the coronavirus spreads very quickly due to the fact that people return to their hometowns for Spring Festival. United would be wise to expand the travel waiver to other cities such as PVG, PEK and CTU.

The situation in China is very fluidly. I was thinking of returning to US earlier yesterday even though I arrived at my hometown just a day earlier.

ezefllying Jan 23, 20 1:41 am

Originally Posted by kevflyer (Post 31984043)

As a single data point, I just canceled a spring break roundtrip to Singapore on China Eastern (less than 24 hours after I booked it) because each way required a 4-8-hour layover in PVG. I realize that may be overkill, but I have no idea what the health situation will look like in mid-March, and I have less faith in a Chinese carrier than an American one to provide a refund down the line if the virus spreads.

And canceling that ticket knowing the alternative routes are $1000 more was not easy.

mozilla Jan 23, 20 2:01 am

Originally Posted by deskover54 (Post 31984108)

If it's waived for "all china airports," UA would also need to include TPE and HKG to avoid a lifetime ban from operating in mainland China.

TechMarauder Jan 23, 20 5:13 am

Iím connecting through PVG enroute to HKG Today. I understand the concern, but not sure why a few hundred flus with roughly the same overall
death rate % in a country of 1.4 billion freaks everyone out.
The Ďregularí flu hits millions and kills thousands in our own country. I understand that this is a new strain and the sensational news wants to dramatize everything but I really donít see a risk for healthy people that are not going to the epicenter.

skidooman Jan 23, 20 5:59 am

Originally Posted by TechMarauder (Post 31984769)
Iím connecting through PVG enroute to HKG Today. I understand the concern, but not sure why a few hundred flus with roughly the same overall
death rate % in a country of 1.4 billion freaks everyone out.
The Ďregularí flu hits millions and kills thousands in our own country. I understand that this is a new strain and the sensational news wants to dramatize everything but I really donít see a risk for healthy people that are not going to the epicenter.

I am with you on that one. Let us be a tad patient.

The good thing is that the Chinese government can take energetic measures in a case like this and they take the situation very seriously. May not always be a good thing, but in this case it is. Nip this thing in its infancy.

There has been a handful of cases outside Wuhan, even less international. Just be energetic and proactive. Also, from my understanding, getting the virus is not a death sentence. That is different from, say, Ebola, which is a good news.

Of course, I am transferring in PVG on my way back home in 2 weeks, and frankly it is on my mind. Guess if the issue becomes worse I will give AC a call and see what they can do.

mozilla Jan 23, 20 6:32 am

Originally Posted by TechMarauder (Post 31984769)
The ‘regular’ flu hits millions and kills thousands in our own country. I understand that this is a new strain and the sensational news wants to dramatize everything but I really don’t see a risk for healthy people that are not going to the epicenter.

Coronavirus infections do not progress to the flu, they progress to pneumonia. Every year in the US pneumonia kills more than 7 times the amount of people that the flu does. Additionally, while it is not perfect, there is prophylaxis available for the seasonal influenza, but not for the coronavirus.

The other risks are the "super-spreader" properties of the coronavirus that we've witnessed during the SARS epidemic. One infected but otherwise healthy person may survive the disease, but not before infecting more than 200 other people, many of whom will die.

China suffers from extremely poor hygiene standards which allow new strains of coronavirus to be easily transmitted from animal to human and subsequently from human to human. The best advice is to avoid all unnecessary travel to the affected area, and UA did make the right decision by issuing a (rare) refund waiver.