Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
By 2023, UA has returned to the more traditional pre-COVID schedule update process. There are still some closer in changes but far less than during the COVID era.

UA publishes a schedule for 330 days in advance (called Beginning of Schedule) and in the past would make tweaks quarterly and things would be fairly settles 3-4 months out. Updates would occur Friday evening / Saturday morning (Chicago time). Routine additions could occur anytime.

Present updates are every Friday and sometimes mid-week usually focused on the next month and farther out.
Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

20 Oct 2021
Originally Posted by EWR764
In the earnings call today, UA noted that has been transitioning back to its 'normal' (pre-pandemic) 90-day schedule load process, which should be complete in the very near future.
However, during the COVID era, UA has gone to a more dynamic and shorter-term setting of schedule (as has the other carriers). Presently UA, while UA is still publishing a schedule for 330 days in advance it reflects pre-COVID operational levels and is considered just a placeholder schedule. Then 3-5 weeks prior to a month, UA makes a major update of that month's schedule.

Examples (Major updates)
The October 2020 schedule was updated 4-5 September 2020
The November 2020 schedule was updated 2-3 October 2020
The December 2020 schedule was updated 30-31 October 2020
Holidays can move the major date a week earlier or later.
Weekly updates are still generally done over night Friday-Saturday (Chicago)

UA does not publish a summary of most schedule changes but a variety of sources below do and summaries / links of those sources can be found in this thread & wiki.

Always crosscheck with UA's Travel Notices , Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel waivers and information, www.united.com/coronavirus as the situation is dynamic

Other Resources and Statistics
Archive: COVID19 UA-Schedule {Archive}
new Archive : UA-Schedule changes {Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA System Schedule changes

Old Feb 22, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DELee
That's an awesome agent.

David
There are not many options from PVG after all the cancellations of China flights. The only remaining flight from China for the next eight months is PVG-SFO😂😂😂😂.
I said yes to whatever she suggested; from PVG-ORD-ORF to PVG-SFO-IAD-ORF.
SPN Lifer and VRFast like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
My MCO-IAD mid April changed from a 739 to a domestic 772. UA auto assigned me a middle seat
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Have CDG-EWR saver J award flight late April booked a long time ago, with Mrs Tarheelnj. 773 chosen for the 2nd cabin bulkhead because of my height. Just noticed (no heads-up) an aircraft swap to a 781, reassigned to a few rows from the back of J. Bulkhead already taken. I called to ask if we could swap out to the later non-stop with open bulkhead, and was told no (or yes, if I paid another 140k miles). The agent said only a meaningful schedule change is grounds for a "free" flight change. Anyone have experience getting this type of change approved? I'm fine to keep calling if it's at agent discretion.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
No, this does not qualify for a free/invol change. You'd need a more substantial change in seating configuration, e.g., going from 1-2-1 Polaris to 2-2 domestic F.
tarheelnj likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 3:24 pm

2 min phone call for free seat with extra legroom!

Hope this is the right place to post this.

I received an email that my upcoming UA flight from LHR to EWR was delayed/pushed back 30 mins. I saw a post from someone on FT that encouraged us to call in any time there is ever a schedule change made to our flights, as it is an opportunity to be compensated by the airline. I called UA and asked what they can do because of this inconvenience and they updated me to a seat with extra legroom for free! Only took 2 mins. If you don't ask, you don't get.

I'm curious, what have you gotten for free in compensation due to a forced schedule change? Any tips for future reference?
Xyzzy and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rbrad

I received an email that my upcoming UA flight from LHR to EWR was delayed/pushed back 30 mins. I saw a post from someone on FT that encouraged us to call in any time there is ever a schedule change made to our flights, as it is an opportunity to be compensated by the airline. I called UA and asked what they can do because of this inconvenience and they updated me to a seat with extra legroom for free! Only took 2 mins. If you don't ask, you don't get.

I'm curious, what have you gotten for free in compensation due to a forced schedule change? Any tips for future reference?
Great to hear! I recently had a schedule change on an award ticket on Lufthansa, giving me a 4 hour layover on the way home from Naples, Italy to LAX. Called in and they put me on UA metal instead with a shorter layover in EWR, and leaving at 10am instead of 6am.

Finally, because it's UA metal, I can now select E+ for free (as a Gold)
Xyzzy and rbrad like this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 4:26 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Schedule Change Timing

Is the most recent UA schedule change (in my case for CHS-ORD and EWR-CHS) likely the last one before my July 2023 trip, or should I expect another round before then? Thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 4:59 am

UA generally firms up the schedule (in ~monthly blocks, though summer/end of year holiday periods get included earlier) about 3 months out and finalizes the schedule about 6 weeks prior (barring anything major like airport capacity issues, equipment grounding etc, no changes should happen within that window). For July flights you could theoretically have changes into late/mid May, but this month/next month should be the last big round of any changes.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 8:06 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
UA generally firms up the schedule (in ~monthly blocks, though summer/end of year holiday periods get included earlier) about 3 months out and finalizes the schedule about 6 weeks prior (barring anything major like airport capacity issues, equipment grounding etc, no changes should happen within that window). For July flights you could theoretically have changes into late/mid May, but this month/next month should be the last big round of any changes.
Thanks. This is helpful. Luckily this last change was in our favor.
Old May 5, 2023, 8:12 pm

EWR- CDG Plane change

Since we are on the subject involving CDG, starting tomorrow they are suddenly temporarily scaling back from 787-10 to a 777-200 for 6:30 Flt out of EWR for a week. There will be many unhappy souls because flights are way oversold now . Anyone have any idea for the A/C downgrade?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 5, 2023 at 9:27 pm Reason: moved to schedule change thread
Old May 5, 2023, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ednort
Since we are on the subject involving CDG, starting tomorrow they are suddenly temporarily scaling back from 787-10 to a 777-200 for 6:30 Flt out of EWR for a week. There will be many unhappy souls because flights are way oversold now . Anyone have any idea for the A/C downgrade?
Which 772? The Polarized version has more seats up front and in PE than 78J, which would then be considered as an upgauge.
Old May 5, 2023, 10:41 pm

This is what UA Flight Status says 777-200, unless there is an error.
Old May 5, 2023, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ednort
This is what UA Flight Status says 777-200, unless there is an error.
772 is the short form for 777-200. UA has multiple versions of its 777-200 aircraft.
SPN Lifer and ednort like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by rbrad

yes the IFE wasn't working on a recent LHR-EWR flight, I emailed and they gave 7500 miles
Old May 9, 2023, 6:38 am

Programs: UA
From https://www.regulations.gov/document...2019-0014-0094, LAX-NRT planned resumption Oct 28
SPN Lifer and cfischer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.