Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
By 2023, UA has returned to the more traditional pre-COVID schedule update process. There are still some closer in changes but far less than during the COVID era.

UA publishes a schedule for 330 days in advance (called Beginning of Schedule) and in the past would make tweaks quarterly and things would be fairly settles 3-4 months out. Updates would occur Friday evening / Saturday morning (Chicago time). Routine additions could occur anytime.

Present updates are every Friday and sometimes mid-week usually focused on the next month and farther out.
Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

20 Oct 2021
Originally Posted by EWR764
In the earnings call today, UA noted that has been transitioning back to its 'normal' (pre-pandemic) 90-day schedule load process, which should be complete in the very near future.
However, during the COVID era, UA has gone to a more dynamic and shorter-term setting of schedule (as has the other carriers). Presently UA, while UA is still publishing a schedule for 330 days in advance it reflects pre-COVID operational levels and is considered just a placeholder schedule. Then 3-5 weeks prior to a month, UA makes a major update of that month's schedule.

Examples (Major updates)
The October 2020 schedule was updated 4-5 September 2020
The November 2020 schedule was updated 2-3 October 2020
The December 2020 schedule was updated 30-31 October 2020
Holidays can move the major date a week earlier or later.
Weekly updates are still generally done over night Friday-Saturday (Chicago)

UA does not publish a summary of most schedule changes but a variety of sources below do and summaries / links of those sources can be found in this thread & wiki.

Always crosscheck with UA's Travel Notices , Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel waivers and information, www.united.com/coronavirus as the situation is dynamic

Other Resources and Statistics
Archive: COVID19 UA-Schedule {Archive}
new Archive : UA-Schedule changes {Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA System Schedule changes

Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Vacationing in Iceland in late June and my originally scheduled return was via EWR, but looks like that itinerary was cancelled and I've been re-routed via ORD. Am I the only one that finds it odd UA dropped a Europe<>EWR frequency in favor of a Europe<>ORD frequency? Everyone who is connecting to an East Coast final destination (such as myself) now overflies their own home!
Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:26 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by EJRofChicago
Vacationing in Iceland in late June and my originally scheduled return was via EWR, but looks like that itinerary was cancelled and I've been re-routed via ORD. Am I the only one that finds it odd UA dropped a Europe<>EWR frequency in favor of a Europe<>ORD frequency? Everyone who is connecting to an East Coast final destination (such as myself) now overflies their own home!
KEF-ORD flights don't fly over the East Coast unless you consider Labrador "East Coast". It's only about 300 miles further to ORD than to EWR coming from Iceland.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
KEF-ORD flights don't fly over the East Coast unless you consider Labrador "East Coast". It's only about 300 miles further to ORD than to EWR coming from Iceland.
Well, yes, but when I look at where I want to end my overall journey, in Virginia, I'm adding 700+ miles and will cross Lake Michigan both ways that day (I'm not complaining, just observing!)
Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this the first time in history that someone has complained about not going through EWR?
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: UA
Just think of it as more lifetime miles.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by angetenar
Just think of it as more lifetime miles.
Except...award booking.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 9:13 am

Except...award booking.
I'm sorry for your loss.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:13 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
There is a KEF-ORD flight? Icelandair I would expect but UAL?
Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by VRFast
There is a KEF-ORD flight? Icelandair I would expect but UAL?
There is a ORD-KEF flight and for some random dates I checked, it was close to sold out months in advance.
VRFast likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Is this the first time in history that someone has complained about not going through EWR?
I promise I'm not complaining!! Just find it very curious that now there's a major TATL leisure destination that UAL serves from one of its mid-continent hubs but NOT one of its East Coast hubs.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:22 pm

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
So had an economy basic ticket in K class go through a schedule change (SFO-KIX). It appears, that was rebooked on other flights and was put was put in full Y. Would I actually get full miles for this? We accrue with Air Canada not UA, if that makes a difference.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WannabeSE
So had an economy basic ticket in K class go through a schedule change (SFO-KIX). It appears, that was rebooked on other flights and was put was put in full Y. Would I actually get full miles for this? We accrue with Air Canada not UA, if that makes a difference.
YMMV. UA has gotten better than it once was at correcting this prior to posting, but it's a distinct possibility when crediting to a partner airline.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Looks like SFO<>HKG will revert to 1x/day in April. It had been scheduled for 2x/day, but I just got a schedule change moving me from the midday departure to the evening departure.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by wxguy
Looks like SFO<>HKG will revert to 1x/day in April. It had been scheduled for 2x/day, but I just got a schedule change moving me from the midday departure to the evening departure.
I also received a schedule change notice for UA869 for 4/20 but it was just a change in departure time to 12:45pm and it's still on the schedule for now.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
I'm booked on UA2347 July 23 ORD-CLE and noticed my seat assignment in F was lost, and the entire F cabin is now wide open for seat selection.

Doesn't seem like a schedule change, but maybe an aircraft swap?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.