FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule reductions to 10%; Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31May (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-reductions-10-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31may.html)

s0ssos Jan 23, 20 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by mozilla (Post 31984410)
If it's waived for "all china airports," UA would also need to include TPE and HKG to avoid a lifetime ban from operating in mainland China.

Why would you "waive" it for all Chinese airports? It isn't in Tibet.

moondog Jan 23, 20 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 31988057)
Why would you "waive" it for all Chinese airports? It isn't in Tibet.

If the waiver only applies to Wuhan, that is okay, but if they extend to "all of China", of course the government wants them to include HK, Macau, and Taiwan!

jimmielin Jan 23, 20 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31988083)
If the waiver only applies to Wuhan, that is okay, but if they extend to "all of China", of course the government wants them to include HK, Macau, and Taiwan!

It can be just "mainland China", there certainly isn't a problem with that. KA/CX has just announced waivers for all change/cancel fees from Jan 24 - Feb 29, applicable to "mainland China" (so excluding HKG, MFM, TPE...)

moondog Jan 23, 20 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by jimmielin (Post 31988138)
It can be just "mainland China", there certainly isn't a problem with that. KA/CX has just announced waivers for all change/cancel fees from Jan 24 - Feb 29, applicable to "mainland China" (so excluding HKG, MFM, TPE...)

CX has much better guanxi than UA, but not including HK in their waiver seems silly to me.

jimmielin Jan 24, 20 12:15 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31988191)
CX has much better guanxi than UA, but not including HK in their waiver seems silly to me.

Considering almost all CX flights except the few 5th freedom flights go through HKG... the guanxi plays an important role. Itís one thing to mandate all mainland carriers to give up all tickets, another thing to ask CX to do that. But UA isnít being tied that much - the China tickets isnít all of their business.

Taipei Jan 24, 20 2:40 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31988191)

At this point , it seems (who really knows) they would not care about this (Taiwan issue) when there is this far more urgent issue. I would hope UA ads PVG/SHA and PEK as the Wuhan Virus seems (I think the numbers under reported based on number of cases outside of China) spread to at least Shanghai area.

goalie Jan 24, 20 9:41 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 31987586)
If there's a problem in Chicago, do you expect United to issue a waiver for every airport in the US?

The only real use for most masks is to prevent you from directly touching your mouth or nose with contaminated hands.

Bolding mine: There is now ;)

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/us-warns-a...opstories.html

kevflyer Jan 24, 20 9:50 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 31987586)
If there's a problem in Chicago, do you expect United to issue a waiver for every airport in the US?

it's not *if* anymore...

zitsky Jan 24, 20 10:17 am

Originally Posted by kevflyer (Post 31989886)
it's not *if* anymore...

Is the US government going to cancel all flights to Chicago?

s0ssos Jan 24, 20 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky (Post 31989990)
Is the US government going to cancel all flights to Chicago?

Depends. Are they using Boeing or Airbus planes?

STS-134 Jan 24, 20 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Taipei (Post 31988679)
At this point , it seems (who really knows) they would not care about this (Taiwan issue) when there is this far more urgent issue. I would hope UA ads PVG/SHA and PEK as the Wuhan Virus seems (I think the numbers under reported based on number of cases outside of China) spread to at least Shanghai area.

I am pretty sure that if the government tries to get into a pissing contest with foreign companies, especially ones that are NOT even majority owned by governments they have diplomatic ties with, over what is and what isn't defined as "China", they're going to get endlessly mocked by their own people on the internet. Normally they get pretty high support for the One China policy but arguing over petty crap like that when people are literally dying, there are tens of millions under quarantine, and this stuff has started to affect everyone's daily lives is probably going to get responses like "shut the hell up and focus on getting rid of the virus first".

bocastephen Jan 24, 20 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 31990498)
I am pretty sure that if the government tries to get into a pissing contest with foreign companies, especially ones that are NOT even majority owned by governments they have diplomatic ties with, over what is and what isn't defined as "China", they're going to get endlessly mocked by their own people on the internet. Normally they get pretty high support for the One China policy but arguing over petty crap like that when people are literally dying, there are tens of millions under quarantine, and this stuff has started to affect everyone's daily lives is probably going to get responses like "shut the hell up and focus on getting rid of the virus first".

Not to go Omni, but the Chinese govt sees everything in parallel - there could be millions dying from this virus, but the urgency around the virus would be paralleled with the urgency to maintain enforcement of their views around Taiwan, HK, etc, and their social credit system. People don't matter to them, only their view and their control over information and behavior.

What UA needs to do, regardless of Chinese political policies or their deranged dreams, is step up and take care of the needs of its customers, which includes offering a travel waiver/refund option for anyone traveling to any airport in any country where this virus has gained a foothold regardless of political gibberish from any said country.

STS-134 Jan 24, 20 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 31990541)
What UA needs to do, regardless of Chinese political policies or their deranged dreams, is step up and take care of the needs of its customers, which includes offering a travel waiver/refund option for anyone traveling to any airport in any country where this virus has gained a foothold regardless of political gibberish from any said country.

Agreed. Went to united.com this morning expecting to see the waiver expanded to PVG and PEK (especially because Shanghai Disneyland and part of the Great Wall have already been shut down over fears of the virus) but they still have not expanded it. So now we have a situation where someone could have been flying in to go to either location, and won't be able to do so, regardless of their own personal risk tolerance for this stuff. For those people, taking a flight there now would be a trip in vain.

narvik Jan 24, 20 1:18 pm

I am pretty sure there's a team at UA constantly assessing this situation, and since it is so fluid and evolving, they will probably expand the waiver to include other cities.....eventually.
To expand the waiver already seems a bit hasty. What should UA's criteria be? A city with 10 confirmed cases? 20? 30?

There's a fine balance between panic and rational planning.

United is likely looking at this map/data to make their decisions:
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

jsloan Jan 24, 20 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 31990561)
Agreed. Went to united.com this morning expecting to see the waiver expanded to PVG and PEK (especially because Shanghai Disneyland and part of the Great Wall have already been shut down over fears of the virus) but they still have not expanded it. So now we have a situation where someone could have been flying in to go to either location, and won't be able to do so, regardless of their own personal risk tolerance for this stuff. For those people, taking a flight there now would be a trip in vain.

While I suspect that they will eventually expand the waiver, and I also think that if you called UA, you might get an exception anyway, I would also point out that people can change their flights. Yes, you'd have to pay the change fee, but if it's not worth the change fee to avoid a situation, you're probably not that worried about said situation.