FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule reductions to 10%; Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31May (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-reductions-10-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31may.html)

WineCountryUA Mar 29, 20 12:31 pm


Originally Posted by RNE (Post 32245020)

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 32242023)
Can anyone tell me the current load factors on these flights?
UA 4602 CAK-ORD
UA 4387 ORD-CAK

OK. I'll ask my question another way. Is UA flying into/out of CAK anymore?

Looking at resources like UA Flight Status, FlightAware, .....
Some days yes, some days no.
UA 4602 flew today, UA 4387 did not.
As with many outstations, UA is maintaining some service but in the near term, you will need to check closer to flight time (24-48 hours) and the same day.

tattikat2 Mar 29, 20 1:15 pm


Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 32244943)
UA finally detailed their plans to drop most service to Hawaii through May.

Hawaii routes including LAX-Kona, LAX-Kauai, LAX-Maui, Denver-Kona, Denver-Kauai, Newark-Honolulu and Chicago-Maui have all been dropped by the schedule.

UA will continue to operate a single SFO-Hawaii flight to HNL, OGG, KOA, and LIH to maintain some cargo lift there.

Did a quick dummy booking check. UA still showing and accepting bookings it seems for 3 daily flights between SFO-KOA in April.

When will this reduced schedule be implemented and when will we know which of the 3 daily flights will be axed?

Do you have a link to the stated info above?

Thanks for any replies.

hockey7711 Mar 29, 20 1:23 pm

Will it cancel or not...what do you think?
 
I am supposed to fly 31 March UA #618 IAH to PBI.

It cancelled several times last week.

Take a look and tell me what you think...

(Only 10 seats showing occupied so far)

fumje Mar 29, 20 1:26 pm

If it is not cancelled now (2 days out) I think there is a decent chance of it operating.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Mar 29, 20 1:27 pm


Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 32244943)
UA finally detailed their plans to drop most service to Hawaii through May.

Hawaii routes including LAX-Kona, LAX-Kauai, LAX-Maui, Denver-Kona, Denver-Kauai, Newark-Honolulu and Chicago-Maui have all been dropped by the schedule.

UA will continue to operate a single SFO-Hawaii flight to HNL, OGG, KOA, and LIH to maintain some cargo lift there.

Do you have a link?
OGG-SFO schedule looks funky:
now thru 4/9 1x
4/10-4/13 0x (to get to SFO, UA is selling tickets on HA connecting through HNL to UA)
4/14 1x
4/15 3x

I'm assuming further changes are coming for schedule 4/15 onwards.

WineCountryUA Mar 29, 20 1:27 pm


Originally Posted by hockey7711 (Post 32245211)
I am supposed to fly 31 March UA #618 IAH to PBI.

It cancelled several times last week.

Take a look and tell me what you think...

(Only 10 seats showing occupied so far)

Ua is attempting to maintain some service to most outstations but will eventualyy cancel in the 24-48 hour out time period. What criteria UA is using to fly some or cancel other flights on the same route is unknown. Hopefully you will have a better idea at T-24


Originally Posted by fumje (Post 32245215)
If it is not cancelled now (2 days out) I think there is a decent chance of it operating.

I have seen some cancellations inside of 48 hours

fumje Mar 29, 20 1:35 pm


Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32245221)
Ua is attempting to maintain some service to most outstations but will eventualyy cancel in the 24-48 hour out time period. What criteria UA is using to fly some or cancel other flights on the same route is unknown. Hopefully you will have a better idea at T-24

I have seen some cancellations inside of 48 hours

Indeed, it is not certain. But most are outside 48h. So far I have not seen any within 24h other than the 'usual' IRROPS.

Kmxu Mar 29, 20 2:01 pm


Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32245221)
Ua is attempting to maintain some service to most outstations but will eventualyy cancel in the 24-48 hour out time period. What criteria UA is using to fly some or cancel other flights on the same route is unknown. Hopefully you will have a better idea at T-24

I have seen some cancellations inside of 48 hours

I can confirm cancellation within 72 hours. For example, at T-3 days, UA changed my BWI-DEN-LAX to BWI-IAH-LAX on the following date, because they canceled BWI-DEN. At T-68 h of the new IAH-LAX, UA cancelled IAH-LAX, and rebooked to BWI-IAH-DEN-LAX. For return, LAX-ORD-BWI was changed to LAX-PHX-SFO-BWI at T-66 h (SFO-BWI was a red eye; original arrival time was 10 pm previous day). Previously, UA rarely rebooked me to double connection. The schedule changes are nowadays just too drastic. UA computer tried its best.

rworne Mar 30, 20 3:00 am

Japan extends travel ban
 
As of now, flights from the US will not be permitted to land - as well as anyone arriving who visited the US within the last 14 days.

Japan tightens entry from U.S., China, S. Korea and Europe : The Asahi Shimbun

Now news on how long it will be, too soon to tell.

1k650 Mar 30, 20 4:29 am


Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32221269)
I'm not sure one way or the other, but keep in mind that the expiration date for a TCVA is the use-by date. You can purchase tickets with an expiring TCVA all the way out to the end of the schedule (currently February 2021). Tickets purchased in March will have no change fees -- but note that if you change to a less expensive ticket, United keeps the difference. You can certainly still ask, but you have options if they decline.

As a followup, 1kvoice did not agree to extend the TCVA expiration date (beyond the 30 day grace period), but indicated that they would reissue any expired TCVAs for 50% of value. Of course, I intend to purchase tickets in March and retain the full value.

One question - if I purchase two tickets in March and then later cancel and try to apply the value to a new ticket, can I apply the value of both tickets to a single new one? I assume no since only one ticket can be exchanged at a time for another.

jjmoore Mar 30, 20 6:29 am


Originally Posted by 1k650 (Post 32246912)
As a followup, 1kvoice did not agree to extend the TCVA expiration date (beyond the 30 day grace period), but indicated that they would reissue any expired TCVAs for 50% of value. Of course, I intend to purchase tickets in March and retain the full value.

One question - if I purchase two tickets in March and then later cancel and try to apply the value to a new ticket, can I apply the value of both tickets to a single new one? I assume no since only one ticket can be exchanged at a time for another.

Maybe a nice agent will help you to combine.

Another option is to book two one-way tickets and utilize both unused reservations.

jjmoore Mar 30, 20 6:41 am

Flying over the weekend was very eerie and strange. A few observations to pass along:

1) The airports are MUCH cleaner than I typically see them. All surfaces are wiped clean and shiny. Floors are spotless and shiny, even in the hard-to-reach corners and spots where I would typically expect to see junk, crud, and typical dirtiness.
2) All of the aircraft I flew on (both main-line and UA Express) were immaculate. The seats were clean. No crud or crumbs in the usual spots (seats, floor boards, windows, tray tables, etc.). Not a blemish in the carpets (everything vacuumed 10X over compared to the usual).
3) This was the first time EVER and probably the last time ever, that I was the only passenger on a flight.
4) The airports were mostly devoid of people. I would say that at any given time, there were more airport employees at the airport than passengers.
5) Passengers were respectful of each other and mindful of social distancing on the planes. I also did not see anyone that was obviously sick (hopefully people displaying symptoms of any sort of illness are staying away from traveling). I even passed on an upgrade to sit in E+ to be as far from others as possible on my MCO-ORD flight on Friday afternoon.
6) As I practiced social distancing myself, sanitized every surface I touched, and washed my hands at all times, I felt relatively comfortable traveling.

With all this being said, I felt safer in the airport and flying than I feel going to a grocery store right now. My last couple trips to Publix and Walmart involve exposing myself to hundreds of people in a far less sanitary environment... not knowing who has touched the food products that I put into my cart. It is nearly impossible to sanitize every item I touch in the store.

One little thing to add... I hope that the new standards for cleanliness will continue beyond COVID-19. Very wishful thinking, I know.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Mar 30, 20 11:38 am


Originally Posted by jjmoore (Post 32247132)
...With all this being said, I felt safer in the airport and flying than I feel going to a grocery store right now....

This was my experience last week on 5 flights and 4 (OGG/SFO/LAS/IAH) airports - I could roll a bowling bowl down an aisle or concourse and not hit anyone. Costco is far more crowded.

cesco.g Mar 30, 20 2:14 pm


Originally Posted by rworne (Post 32246775)
As of now, flights from the US will not be permitted to land - as well as anyone arriving who visited the US within the last 14 days.

Japan tightens entry from U.S., China, S. Korea and Europe : The Asahi Shimbun

Now news on how long it will be, too soon to tell.

Do you have any source re flights from the US not being permitted to land?
The linked article only refers to travelers from the US not being allowed to enter Japan.
UA sofar still operates/operated one daily SFO-NRT frequency.

1k650 Mar 30, 20 2:27 pm

Is United extending the March 31 deadline for fee-free changes? AA and DL have already extended but the UA website still shows March 31 :(


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:41 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.