FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule reductions to 10%; Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 30Jun (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-reductions-10-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-30jun.html)

LondonElite Mar 12, 20 10:00 am

I didn't read all 1,500 posts, but is there a list of all the UA flights to and from Europe that have been cancelled from tomorrow, as the title suggests?

jsloan Mar 12, 20 10:01 am

Originally Posted by dundili (Post 32174265)
Ticket is CDG-YYZ-CLT roundtrip ticketed by UA, AC metal.

Outbound leg was flown in February. Inbound to CDG is scheduled next week. Seems like a bad time to go back to Europe.

Neither website allows changes, and says to call the other since the trip is already in progress. Who should I call and wait a few hours to talk to, fellow flyers? Any help is greatly appreciated.

You'd call the ticketing carrier (UA).

wanderlustFL Mar 12, 20 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Chalmers3716 (Post 32174130)
American citizen currently overseas. I need to return from Spain in May. I realize this is currently outside the window, but given the immediacy of the announcement, and the fact that things seem likely to keep getting worse before better, I expect that to be extended.

Would you all recommend booking flights ASAP, and hoping they don't get cancelled, or waiting until something more definitive is said regarding my travel timeframe (I'd be flying BCN-STL, so obviously no nonstops, but also some seasonal routes that may get cancelled, etc).

Also, any benefit to booking via cash vs. miles?

Hi, for American citizens my understanding (quoting from USA Today article) is:"The department plans to issue a notice "requiring U.S. passengers that have been" traveling in parts of Europe to "travel through select airports where the U.S. Government has implemented enhanced screening procedures," said Acting Secretary Chad Wolf.

Vice President Mike Pence said in an interview with CNN Thursday that Americans and legal residents returning to the US from Europe will be funneled through 13 airports for screening. He did not name the airports."

So, that would mean it might be best to get clarity on where those specific USA entry point airports are before booking your flights. Clearly, higher volume entry points relevant to STL travel such a ORD, JFK, EWR and IAD are likely to be on the list. Also, as to flights bookable now that will likely operate in May is anyone's guess. However, I would suggest looking at non schengen options such as Royal Air Maroc via Casablanca or routings via London. And you indicate your return date is still a couple of months out. Therefore, I would suggest holding off a bit so that you don't accidentally book through the next "hot spot" only to have that flight cancelled or new restrictions imposed that make the itinerary unworkable. However, if I were in your shoes, I would continue to carefully monitor as, if the crisis continues to escalate, and your priority is coming back to the USA before June, then you may need to accelerate your return trip to ensure that you can come home at reasonable cost and with inconvenience minimized.

jsloan Mar 12, 20 10:03 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32174535)
I didn't read all 1,500 posts, but is there a list of all the UA flights to and from Europe that have been cancelled from tomorrow, as the title suggests?

Not that I've seen. I suspect even UA doesn't have that list yet.

mmthomps Mar 12, 20 10:04 am

Cancelling a flight: clarification on rebooking/using ticket

So, my husband and I each have conference/meetings that have been cancelled, so we need to cancel our United tickets. Both/all tickets were bought before March 2; flights were between March 9 and April 30. If we cancel the flights, then we need to "purchase a new ticket before/on December 31, 2020 or 12 months from original ticket date, whichever is earlier." But the value of the ticket simply stays in our 'account' as it were, right? We aren't "changing flights," and needing to rebook a ticket at this time. Sorry, it seems simple, but just wanted to verify before cancelling.

EsquireFlyer Mar 12, 20 10:07 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32174311)
Nothing; flights haven't been halted. But they'd be fined extensively for every ineligible passenger they allowed on board -- so they could basically only transport US citizens and green-card holders once the Europe ban takes effect.

And they can theoretically fly everyone OUT of the U.S. and just can't bring most of them back (of course, the inability to return will make most pax hesitant to leave, unless it's an emigration or other intentional one-way trip).

jsloan Mar 12, 20 10:08 am

Originally Posted by mmthomps (Post 32174555)
So, my husband and I each have conference/meetings that have been cancelled, so we need to cancel our United tickets. Both/all tickets were bought before March 2; flights were between March 9 and April 30. If we cancel the flights, then we need to "purchase a new ticket before/on December 31, 2020 or 12 months from original ticket date, whichever is earlier." But the value of the ticket simply stays in our 'account' as it were, right? We aren't "changing flights," and needing to rebook a ticket at this time. Sorry, it seems simple, but just wanted to verify before cancelling.

The value of the ticket stays attached to the original reservation. It can be applied to future travel by rebooking that reservation. You'll see the reservations in your United account -- My trips -> View all trips -> Canceled. If you click on the itinerary, you'll get a message like this one:

This reservation has been canceled. To use any remaining value toward a future flight, please select the button below.
and a button that says "Use future flight credit."

That said, there are numerous reports of this not working very well, and I expect that you may need to call once you're ready to rebook.

The new tickets have to be for the same travelers who had the original bookings. The treatment of excess value depends upon the fare rules. For most fares in effect prior to March 2, residual amounts are returned to the traveler in the form of an Electronic Travel Credit (ETC), which can be used by anyone. Most fares in effect since March 2 call for residual amounts to be ignored; no ETC would be issued.

mmthomps Mar 12, 20 10:13 am

Thanks very much; that's extremely helpful.

BangkokTraveler Mar 12, 20 10:16 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 32171185)
likely yes, but you’ll need to read the fare rules. When you are looking at the itinerary online, under the listing of flights, there are a few links - one says fare rules. Click on that.

in the fare rules, you want to look under the penalties section. Probably easiest way to find is to search for the word ‘residual’, and see what it says. Note it might be there in terms of different things (change vs. cancel) for example, so make sure you know what it is referring to - though usually, likely what happened to the residual will be the same. Recently, lots of fares will say’ignore residual’, which basically means you won’t get its back. Other fares refer to something like residual value to be given as an EMD for UA, meaning it will come back as a voucher. You’ll also want to make sure you look at fare rules for both outbound and return if they are separate - the rule that applies will by the most restrictive rule.

Very good and detailed explanation, thank you so much!!

My fare rules say residual is given back in a voucher.

MostlyUA Mar 12, 20 10:29 am

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER (Post 32172379)
Unfortunately, pushing it back is not an option,optioif I cancel completely, I would end up eating more than $12K in sunk costs. So I'm doing the best I can.

Sucks! Good luck though.

We are eating $50K+ in a safari (paid up last year and it's unrefundable) for the family. It's a lot of money, but I just don't think it's worth ending up in a rural hospital with no way to return. Between the stock market, 401K, and cancellation of this trip, we are tightening our belts.

aacharya Mar 12, 20 10:31 am

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 32173301)
planes need to turn around somehow ;) we expect UA to cancel pretty much all EU flights.

Yep. Have a backup Canada-routing in place.

RedElmo Mar 12, 20 10:38 am

Originally Posted by zoomgirl (Post 32173383)
Spent 2 hours and 2 minutes waiting on the United Premier line (Silver) before getting disconnected for unknown reasons. At this point I’m just going to risk flying through Frankfurt on Sunday and cross my fingers.

Ya this new no change fee is useless if I can’t get through to cancel or make changes to my flight. Alaska is the same. 3 hour wait and no one picks up.

sfo3388 Mar 12, 20 10:47 am

Originally Posted by busyizzy (Post 32173133)
Hi not related to the recent Trump-Europe announcement, but I canceled a flight for March. I want to use the credit to book a new flight, but when I try to do it on the United website, it charges the change fee. Do I have to call in to use the credit from my canceled flight? Anyone tried booking flights with their canceled/changed flight credit? With the wait times of over 90 mins that I checked right now, I'd rather not, but if that's the only way to avoid the change fee.... thanks!

Originally Posted by televisor (Post 32173315)
Slightly risky, but you could pay the change fee and then ask for it to be refunded via email/refund form.

I was on the same boat. Had a reservation booked in January for travelling on March 14th. When I saw the fee waiver applied to reservations made prior to March 2nd, I did dummy changes on United.com and saw no change fee. Felt good. Then decided to cancel the reservation first. Twenty minutes later, I tried to do dummy bookings by retrieving the cancelled reservation then saw $200 change fee at the end. Panic. Quickly I got new travel dates and called United. Yes, the agent removed the $200 fee. That was Wednesday. Perhaps United.com web support can fix this problem in order not to burden the agents.

lincolnjkc Mar 12, 20 11:42 am

COVID19 - Paid upgrade on canceled/postponed trip?

So... unlike the majority of my travel have a trip that the sponsoring organization's travel agent booked for me and -- for the first time -- immediately after it was ticketed and took the upgrade option on .com using a my personal CC.

The organization has just made the call to postpone the event until sometime in the fall for obvious reasons, and the TA is going to do something to the reservation (based on the emails I've gotten I don't think they even know yet). The region that the event is taking pace in is not (yet) under any travel advisories.

So... what happens to the paid upgrade in this unusual case?

I tried emailing 1kvoice and they unhelpfully responded that since it was future travel I should look at ua.com -- but looking at the waiver info on .com I can't see anything about ancillary services

jsloan Mar 12, 20 11:49 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc (Post 32175004)
So... what happens to the paid upgrade in this unusual case?

Technically, it's forfeit.

However, I suspect that if you call UA, they may well be willing to work with you, especially given the circumstances.