Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July

COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 12, 20, 1:46 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Always crosscheck with UA's Travel Notices , Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel waivers and information, www.united.com/coronavirus as the situation is dynamic

CARES service exemptions for United
United Exemption 042520 FINAL ISSUED.pdf
United Airlines 2nd Exemption_051220_FINAL ISSUED.pdf
latest (tentative) -2020-5-5 Order to Show Cause

09 June -- From UA Hub, Summer 2020 route network schedule update
01 July - From UA Hub,United Airlines Adds Nearly 25,000 Flights in August , post 2888

RoutesOnLine reports
29 May United NS20 Long-Haul operation changes as of 29MAY20
02 May United 2Q20 Interim Long-Haul and NS20 update as of 0215GMT 02MAY20
02 May United 2Q20 Interim and NS20 Guam / Micronesia Island Hopper update as of 0215GMT 02MAY20
20 April COVID-19: North America market update - all carriers
18 April United NS20 {Summer 2020) Long-Haul operations as of 0400GMT 18APR20
also
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
... weekly "OAG Changes" posts on airliners.net on Sunday mornings.
OAG Changes 7/12/2020:EVOLUTION Some backsliding on previous Aug increases
OAG Changes 7/5/2020: Significant number of September changes, in addition to previously announced August changes
OAG Changes 6/28/2020:CALMING SKIES (minimal changes)
OAG Changes 6/21/2020:August Under Fire;...UA Out of SMX (Some August updates)
OAG Changes for 6/14/2020:THE CALM BEFORE? (very few UA changes)
OAG Changes 6/7/2020 July 2020 (mostly North American for UA)
OAG Changes 5/31/2020 (mostly international for UA)

30 June 2020

Tickets: For tickets issued March 3 through March 31, 2020, customers will be permitted to change without paying a change fee to a flight of equal or lesser value for travel up to 24 months from the original ticket issue date. For tickets issued between April 1, 2020, and July 31, 2020, customers will be permitted to change without paying a change fee to a flight of equal or lesser value for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date.

If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee but no residual value will be given.

Changes/Cancellations: If the customer decides to change or cancel the flight they booked between March 3, 2020 and March 31, 2020, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without a change fee for travel up to 24 months from the original ticket issue date. If the customer decides to change or cancel the flight they booked between April 1, 2020, and July 31, 2020, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without a change fee for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date. Any changes or cancellation must occur prior to ticketed travel date.

Fare Validity: This applies to all tickets, all UA fare types, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Some fares are non-refundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.

International travel advisories and waivers

For more information about international travel:

Other Resources and Statistics
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 22, 20, 9:41 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airports:
  • Wuhan, China (WUH)
Refunds are allowed for unflown flights, even for nonrefundable tickets. Please visit united.com/refunds to submit a refund request. Original ticket must have been purchased by: January 21, 2020.

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...eptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code (posted): 3

David
Attached Images  
Old Jan 22, 20, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Curious, given that UA doesn't even fly to WUH.
Old Jan 22, 20, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by STS-134 View Post
You can fly uNited ticket to WUH via either PEK(CA) or NRT(NH)
drewguy likes this.
Old Jan 22, 20, 10:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Perhaps UA has a number of tickets connecting (such as in PWK, HKG, NRT, ...) to WUH.

UA has done waivers which have included JFK
Old Jan 22, 20, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Perhaps UA has a number of tickets connecting (such as in PWK, HKG, NRT, ...) to WUH.
Definitely possible, but China isn't a place where people necessarily fly to anywhere close to their ultimate destination. Wuhan is a sort of hub on the HSR network, and is kind of equidistant between SHA/PVG and CAN/SZX/HKG, and not that much further from PEK/PKX than it is from those first two general areas. Why'd they give a waiver for travel to WUH but not the others? And even then, only if on a single ticket?
Old Jan 22, 20, 10:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
... Why'd they give a waiver for travel to WUH but not the others?...
Wuhan is considered ground zero for the Coronavirus

Wuhan is presently under a
quarantine

... And even then, only if on a single ticket?...
Standard protection only applies to a single ticket, as do all waivers

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 22, 20 at 10:26 pm Reason: link
Old Jan 22, 20, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Possible they'll expand waiver to other cities like CAN or HKG? Seems like a lot of people I know are dropping their plans to go anywhere within China.
Old Jan 22, 20, 11:22 pm

they should issue a waiver for all china airports. that would be the customer friendly thing to do.
Old Jan 22, 20, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by deskover54 View Post
they should issue a waiver for all china airports. that would be the customer friendly thing to do.
UA may be compelled to expand travel waiver to more cities after next 2 weeks (incubation period, and lunar holiday travel), when situation worsens for multiple cities with more confirmed cases. Beijing & Shanghai & Hong Kong already have reported initial cases.
Old Jan 23, 20, 1:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.9 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by kevflyer View Post
Possible they'll expand waiver to other cities like CAN or HKG? Seems like a lot of people I know are dropping their plans to go anywhere within China.
I am in China now. Wuhan is totally isolated now. No one can escape or enter Wuhan right now, which is unimaginable in US. Because the lunar New Year, the coronavirus spreads very quickly due to the fact that people return to their hometowns for Spring Festival. United would be wise to expand the travel waiver to other cities such as PVG, PEK and CTU.

The situation in China is very fluidly. I was thinking of returning to US earlier yesterday even though I arrived at my hometown just a day earlier.
Old Jan 23, 20, 1:41 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by kevflyer View Post
As a single data point, I just canceled a spring break roundtrip to Singapore on China Eastern (less than 24 hours after I booked it) because each way required a 4-8-hour layover in PVG. I realize that may be overkill, but I have no idea what the health situation will look like in mid-March, and I have less faith in a Chinese carrier than an American one to provide a refund down the line if the virus spreads.

And canceling that ticket knowing the alternative routes are $1000 more was not easy.
Old Jan 23, 20, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by deskover54 View Post
If it's waived for "all china airports," UA would also need to include TPE and HKG to avoid a lifetime ban from operating in mainland China.
Old Jan 23, 20, 5:13 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, UA Gold/1MM, QR Platinum
Iím connecting through PVG enroute to HKG Today. I understand the concern, but not sure why a few hundred flus with roughly the same overall
death rate % in a country of 1.4 billion freaks everyone out.
The Ďregularí flu hits millions and kills thousands in our own country. I understand that this is a new strain and the sensational news wants to dramatize everything but I really donít see a risk for healthy people that are not going to the epicenter.
jsloan, zitsky, narvik and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 23, 20, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by TechMarauder View Post
Iím connecting through PVG enroute to HKG Today. I understand the concern, but not sure why a few hundred flus with roughly the same overall
death rate % in a country of 1.4 billion freaks everyone out.
The Ďregularí flu hits millions and kills thousands in our own country. I understand that this is a new strain and the sensational news wants to dramatize everything but I really donít see a risk for healthy people that are not going to the epicenter.
I am with you on that one. Let us be a tad patient.

The good thing is that the Chinese government can take energetic measures in a case like this and they take the situation very seriously. May not always be a good thing, but in this case it is. Nip this thing in its infancy.

There has been a handful of cases outside Wuhan, even less international. Just be energetic and proactive. Also, from my understanding, getting the virus is not a death sentence. That is different from, say, Ebola, which is a good news.

Of course, I am transferring in PVG on my way back home in 2 weeks, and frankly it is on my mind. Guess if the issue becomes worse I will give AC a call and see what they can do.
Old Jan 23, 20, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by TechMarauder View Post
The ‘regular’ flu hits millions and kills thousands in our own country. I understand that this is a new strain and the sensational news wants to dramatize everything but I really don’t see a risk for healthy people that are not going to the epicenter.
Coronavirus infections do not progress to the flu, they progress to pneumonia. Every year in the US pneumonia kills more than 7 times the amount of people that the flu does. Additionally, while it is not perfect, there is prophylaxis available for the seasonal influenza, but not for the coronavirus.

The other risks are the "super-spreader" properties of the coronavirus that we've witnessed during the SARS epidemic. One infected but otherwise healthy person may survive the disease, but not before infecting more than 200 other people, many of whom will die.

China suffers from extremely poor hygiene standards which allow new strains of coronavirus to be easily transmitted from animal to human and subsequently from human to human. The best advice is to avoid all unnecessary travel to the affected area, and UA did make the right decision by issuing a (rare) refund waiver.
Dhamal and prometa like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: