FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

BBSHOPSINGER Mar 11, 20 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32172360)
Wasting your time? I guess it depends upon your perspective. If you can find award space, UA will certainly make the changes for you, and award space may be rather plentiful. But nobody knows what flights are actually going to be operating in two weeks, and there's a nonzero chance you'll get stuck in some foreign country. What is the trip worth to you?

I would probably be planning to push things back further, because I expect the travel restrictions to get worse before they get better... and they change every day, so while you might be fine when you leave, you could be spending your entire trip on the phone with UA, trying to change your next leg.

Unfortunately, pushing it back is not an option,optioif I cancel completely, I would end up eating more than $12K in sunk costs. So I'm doing the best I can.

Kacee Mar 11, 20 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32172360)
I would probably be planning to push things back further, because I expect the travel restrictions to get worse before they get better... and they change every day, so while you might be fine when you leave, you could be spending your entire trip on the phone with UA, trying to change your next leg.

We're cancelling Thailand in April (including UA partner award via TYO for return). May try Hawaii instead, depending on how this plays. It's a bad time to be leaving the country, too much uncertainty about governmental travel restrictions and don't want to get sick overseas. Plus cities will basically be shutting down worldwide.

cesco.g Mar 11, 20 11:56 pm

From the proclamation:

Sec. 5. Effective Date. This proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020. This proclamation does not apply to persons aboard a flight scheduled to arrive in the United States that departed prior to 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020.

So, I guess anybody making it onto any TATL w/b UA flight from EU on FR 3/13, should still be good!
This would mean that most TATL EU e/b flights on TH 3/12 could still operate.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...l-coronavirus/

driveafastercar Mar 12, 20 12:05 am

Apologies for not reading more of the 98 pages but just landed in CDG (US citizen) — has United said anything specific about WHAT flight reductions from Europe will be made?

*as I stand in line at United counter*

Happy weird dystopian birthday to me! 😂

‪United rep at CDG said that all flights back to the US starting Saturday are showing as cancelled.‬ All flights from London are fine. She advised a handful of people to go to London to get back to the US.

I changed my flight to tomorrow, just in case, but we’ll see what other options are...

Muerz Mar 12, 20 1:37 am

I have travel planned from AMS to PBI in early April. Now that I won't be allowed to travel (EU citizen), will I get a complete refund or will I have to do with travel certificates?

driveafastercar Mar 12, 20 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Muerz (Post 32172748)
I have travel planned from AMS to PBI in early April. Now that I won't be allowed to travel (EU citizen), will I get a complete refund or will I have to do with travel certificates?

They don’t seem to know anything yet as it’s so new. I’m guessing they’ll know more by tomorrow/this weekend...

zoomgirl Mar 12, 20 2:16 am

Originally Posted by driveafastercar (Post 32172567)
‪United rep at CDG said that all flights back to the US starting Saturday are showing as cancelled.‬ All flights from London are fine. She advised a handful of people to go to London to get back to the US.

I changed my flight to tomorrow, just in case, but we’ll see what other options are...

Hmm, wonder when they’ll inform everyone with a flight from Europe on Saturday or Sunday about this?

jimdarcy Mar 12, 20 2:21 am

>60 min wait times on the 1k phone line

televisor Mar 12, 20 2:25 am

I'm someone who has a Europe->US ticket but does not want to travel (employer has banned work travel).

I'm guessing most people in that situation will be able to get full refunds thanks to EU261, which seems to guarantee refunds? (My TATL hasn't been cancelled, but LH cancelled a connecting flight recently, so I'm probably already covered.)

gottaluvNW Mar 12, 20 3:38 am

2+ hour wait currently on the phone - need advise ASAP

I am stuck in the US and will need to reschedule my meetings to leave by the Friday deadline for EU flights that Trump has proposed.
Its a 2+ hour wait for calls to United to be answered.
I dont have 2 hours. Any advice? Are there any global call centers that are taking calls faster RIGHT NOW?

If I try to rebook online, it gives me an error. Asks me to call
If try to cancel online, it asks for a $125 fee for the Mileage Plus ticket (strangely, no option to waive the fee)
Hence the reason to call them...

SunLover Mar 12, 20 3:45 am

Your profile says LHR, which is not (yet) part of the travel ban. What is your destination in Europe?

SL

ryman554 Mar 12, 20 3:45 am

Best bet is to find a GS (I'm not one!) that calls it in for you.

If this is business, eat the $125 fee, change your flight, and then get a refund once you get back home. Getting home is priority #1 , and flights are probably going fast.

I doubt there is a waiver to Europe yet, so another option is to hope your flights get cancelled later on and book a 1-way (award?) trip out right now. I guess if you booked pre March 2, you're in luck and can just change.

I'd suggest just eating the fee and as long as they don't charge you any fare difference, submit a refund when things calm down a bit.

aacharya Mar 12, 20 4:02 am

There is no ban US to EU.

busyizzy Mar 12, 20 4:07 am

Hi not related to the recent Trump-Europe announcement, but I canceled a flight for March. I want to use the credit to book a new flight, but when I try to do it on the United website, it charges the change fee. Do I have to call in to use the credit from my canceled flight? Anyone tried booking flights with their canceled/changed flight credit? With the wait times of over 90 mins that I checked right now, I'd rather not, but if that's the only way to avoid the change fee.... thanks!

bballdad175 Mar 12, 20 4:09 am

Not helpful to OP but when I called in over an hour ago the estimate was 30-40 min. 62 min and counting...Grrr