FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

Owenc Mar 11, 20 8:22 pm

They better be quick. We donít know what our government will do in the next week or so, in relation to flights to Europe.

mozilla Mar 11, 20 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingkev (Post 32171740)
I also not sure why the UK has got a mulligan , there were 3 deaths in my home county today

It's for the funneling of US nationals coming from the Schengen area (see final paragraph of DHS release). Ireland has a lot fewer cases than the UK but DUB can't handle that alone, even with relief from SNN. LHR - which has nonstop flights with all of Europe - is needed for this.

This is also why I believe the UK will keep its borders open to accommodate those pax. Boris will probably be rewarded for this later.

MMProfessor Mar 11, 20 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 32171467)
Now that I cannot travel to Germany April 7-14 because of a government declaration/prohibition, does that mean I can get a full refund of the $2800 P fare to my original form of payment? Or, am I still stuck with just no change fee for a change in the next 12 months?

April 14 is outside the 30 day window starting March 13. So, your return is not banned. Your argument for a refund will have to wait until they cancel the April 7 flight TO Europe.

fatlasercat Mar 11, 20 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by MMProfessor (Post 32171837)
April 14 is outside the 30 day window starting March 13. So, your return is not banned. Your argument for a refund will have to wait until they cancel the April 7 flight TO Europe.

Will they just rebook people through the UK within 25hrs and say, sorry no refund...?

WindowSeatFlyer Mar 11, 20 8:41 pm

So, San Marino and the Vatican City are exempted while all of Italy is currently on lockdown?
Yeah, that makes sense...

UAL250 Mar 11, 20 8:43 pm

UA is gonna have to just give people a pass this year on status at this rate. This is crazy.

zombietooth Mar 11, 20 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingkev (Post 32171740)
I think this is such a massive case of bolting the door after the horse has left, the virus is here and has been for weeks. There have been several weeks of non management and denial
at the highest levels ,almost zero testing and poor comms , it will be a rocky ride for next 6 months. maybe the Euro's will ban travelers from Washington as the rate there are as bad as anywhere in Europe. I also not sure why the UK has got a mulligan , there were 3 deaths in my home county today

I grant you that the CDC wasn't prepared, but it is always effective to prevent the infected from moving, especially since many seem to be asymptomatic. Absent a vaccine, the most effective measures to control this thing are restricting movement of the population and social isolation, along with strict quarantine of the infected.

MMProfessor Mar 11, 20 8:49 pm

Note that the ban does not apply to US citizens and "The order does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation". These people will be "suitably screened". So, no refund for April 7-14?

paperwastage Mar 11, 20 8:53 pm

nvr mind

if flight is cancelled without a good replacement within 25+hours, then sure refund

rankourabu Mar 11, 20 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer (Post 32171877)
So, San Marino and the Vatican City are exempted while all of Italy is currently on lockdown?
Yeah, that makes sense...

How are you going to fly from either without transiting thru Schengen.

Will transits be banned too? Like if you haven't actually "been" to Schengen in last 14 days.

Lets say you fly Russia-EU-Africa. And then 10 days later Africa-DOH-US. Ban or no ban?

CIT85 Mar 11, 20 8:58 pm

I've been on hold over 55 minute as agent is trying to get rate desk to OK a change in itinerary involving BCN-FRA-IAD-RIC from Mar. 15 to Mar. 12, with LH BCN-FRA not available and BCN-MUC is different fare. With all the uncertainties on the details of the ban and travelers trying to get back to the US before the travel ban, it's almost impossible to accomplish anything

wanderingkev Mar 11, 20 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 32171895)
I grant you that the CDC wasn't prepared, but it is always effective to prevent the infected from moving, especially since many seem to be asymptomatic. Absent a vaccine, the most effective measures to control this thing are restricting movement of the population and social isolation, along with strict quarantine of the infected.

So we should have the same policy domestically then ?

mozilla Mar 11, 20 9:03 pm

Unlike the President announced, cargo will not be impacted (neither to or from Europe). It wouldn't make sense anyway, as the Coronavirus doesn't travel with cargo.

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 32171941)
How are you going to fly from either without transiting thru Schengen.

Helicopter transfer from San Marino across the Adriatic Sea to Zagreb. From there the nonstop BA flight to LHR. Technically eligible to travel to the US. If Vatican City, first helicopter transfer to San Marino, refuel, and then as above. Convoluted, but for the wealthy it can absolutely be done.

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 32171941)
Lets say you fly Russia-EU-Africa. And then 10 days later Africa-DOH-US. Ban or no ban?

Ban, except if US citizen or eligible for one of (several) other exceptions.

paperwastage Mar 11, 20 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85 (Post 32171955)
I've been on hold over 55 minute as agent is trying to get rate desk to OK a change in itinerary involving BCN-FRA-IAD-RIC from Mar. 15 to Mar. 12, with LH BCN-FRA not available and BCN-MUC is different fare. With all the uncertainties on the details of the ban and travelers trying to get back to the US before the travel ban, it's almost impossible to accomplish anything

at least some people in europe (who are affected and wanting to change plans) are asleep...

wonder if the 9pm release time was deliberate or incidental

Owenc Mar 11, 20 9:08 pm

Doesnít look like it affects ROI. https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0...9-coronavirus/