FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

tom911 Mar 11, 20 7:44 pm


Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 32171524)
Man, I'd be worried and trying to get out of the EU right now via any routing.
Good luck, I hope you make it home.

I haven't left the US yet, so not as impacted as others with short term travel are. I start with travel to Tallinn next week. Just trying to sort out what options I have to salvage any or all of this trip. If I have to fly home from Finland I will, though my preference would be to continue onto both London and Dublin. Would he happy to backtrack from Dublin to London if I need to, but sitll have the concern about new entry requirements being put in place. Will have to make a call by Monday at latest and will hopefully have lots more information to work with by the weekend.

zombietooth Mar 11, 20 7:45 pm


Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 32171568)
good to know the US will now be saved from all those virus-infected Europeans :rolleyes: Can't imagine airline stocks will do very well tomorrow ...

That's going to be a major problem for UA to say the least with FRA/MUC/ZRH as major hubs for connecting traffic to elsewhere

Even worse than the financial hit to UA is the pain that will be inflicted on UA's European staff. UA will have to rush to get all US aircrew home by Friday.
What a nightmare.

J.Edward Mar 11, 20 7:46 pm

Good Evening All -

As you are all aware the President announced earlier this evening suspension of travel relating to Europe. I am still not clear on the exact details here but have amended the thread title to attempt to capture the most pertinent data we've got. Please feel free to suggest title edits as the situation develops - you can do so by RBP'ing to this post or shoot me a message on discord.

Safe Travels All,

J.Edward
UA forum co-mod

Owenc Mar 11, 20 7:47 pm


Originally Posted by mozilla (Post 32171602)
Also wondering how long this position would be sustainable with the number of community-acquired cases in the UK rising significantly as well.



It currently says "all of Europe except for the UK". Still waiting for the official confirmation. I'd consider it a huge mistake if it is actually Schengen, as there's a huge difference between Europe and Schengen but the word is out now.

Well if the UK is exempt Ireland should be too.

mozilla Mar 11, 20 7:50 pm


Originally Posted by Owenc (Post 32171629)
Well if the UK is exempt Ireland should be too.

Ireland is not part of the UK but is part of Europe, so afaik it is impacted, but let's wait for the official confirmation. It would make sense if they want to funnel all pax through LHR.

WSJ explicitly states Europe as well.

WindowSeatFlyer Mar 11, 20 7:50 pm


Originally Posted by Owenc (Post 32171629)
Well if the UK is exempt Ireland should be too.

Trump owns a golf course in Ireland, so itíll be exempt. ;)

catocony Mar 11, 20 7:52 pm

They're now explicitly saying Schengen and not Europe. Citizens and green card holders are exempt, but no info on how they're supposed to get home if the airlines are down.

avi8tir Mar 11, 20 7:55 pm

So, this will be interesting. Airlines will fly the US - Europe leg and then deadhead it back? Vice versa for Europe based airlines. I'd bet the vast majority get cancelled all together.

catocony Mar 11, 20 8:00 pm

I suspect that the usual wave of Friday day flights back will be fine.

mozilla Mar 11, 20 8:00 pm

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/...l-proclamation

So it's only Schengen (which includes Iceland, Norway and Switzerland), and a lot more European countries are excepted in addition to the UK (Ireland, Cyprus, San Marino, Andorra, Vatican City, and others). Outright ban for foreigners who have been in the Schengen area the past 14 days.

US nationals will be funneled through a few select airports that will be determined soon, I imagine LHR and DUB.

wanderingkev Mar 11, 20 8:02 pm


Originally Posted by mozilla (Post 32171639)
Ireland is not part of the UK but is part of Europe, so afaik it is impacted, but let's wait for the official confirmation. It would make sense if they want to funnel all pax through LHR.

WSJ explicitly states Europe as well.

Ireland (the republic of)is not in the Schengen Northern Ireland is part of the UK as such the whole of the Island (of Ireland) is not affected

Owenc Mar 11, 20 8:05 pm


Originally Posted by mozilla (Post 32171684)
https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/...l-proclamation

So it's only Schengen (which includes Iceland, Norway and Switzerland), and a lot more European countries are excepted in addition to the UK (Ireland, Cyprus, San Marino, Andorra, Vatican City, and others). Outright ban for foreigners who have been in the Schengen area the past 14 days.

US nationals will be funneled through a few select airports that will be determined soon, I imagine LHR and DUB.

I doubt any countries in Mainland Europe are exempt.

mozilla Mar 11, 20 8:06 pm


Originally Posted by wanderingkev (Post 32171692)
Ireland (the republic of)is not in the Schengen Northern Ireland is part of the UK as such the whole of the Island (of Ireland) is not affected

I understand, but the President clearly mentioned "all travel from Europe," he didn't mention Schengen. Anyway, it has now been clarified that the President actually meant Schengen.


Originally Posted by Owenc (Post 32171710)
I doubt any countries in Mainland Europe are exempt.

The DHS release actually lists the countries, and several countries are not on the list. Not only Ireland and the landlocked mini-states, also Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Cyprus, and so on.

wanderingkev Mar 11, 20 8:11 pm

I think this is such a massive case of bolting the door after the horse has left, the virus is here and has been for weeks. There have been several weeks of non management and denial
at the highest levels ,almost zero testing and poor comms , it will be a rocky ride for next 6 months. maybe the Euro's will ban travelers from Washington as the rate there are as bad as anywhere in Europe. I also not sure why the UK has got a mulligan , there were 3 deaths in my home county today

notquiteaff Mar 11, 20 8:21 pm


Originally Posted by avi8tir (Post 32171661)
So, this will be interesting. Airlines will fly the US - Europe leg and then deadhead it back? Vice versa for Europe based airlines. I'd bet the vast majority get cancelled all together.

Right, I don't think flights to the mainland banned countries will survive. So Europeans currently in the US and scheduled to fly back home will have to find different routings.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:18 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.