FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

dcchi Mar 11, 20 11:49 am

Originally Posted by blueman2 (Post 32169375)
Not sure when this happened, but FCO has now been added to the "Northern Italy" waiver. Guess they need to rename that waiver.

That's a good catch. I've been religiously checking multiple times a day and haven't noticed that (probably because it was still titled "Northern Italy"....I guess FCO isn't in Sicily?).

However, can someone tell me what the difference is between the Italy waiver (even with FCO) and the general waiver they have for all travel now? Isn't it the same? Are there advantages to what is specifically listed for Italy? I am failing to see any difference (even if the wording is different), but I'm guessing there is some nuance that I'm not catching. Can someone enlighten me on it?

Thanks.

RandomBaritone Mar 11, 20 11:58 am

Originally Posted by dcchi (Post 32169664)
However, can someone tell me what the difference is between the Italy waiver (even with FCO) and the general waiver they have for all travel now? Isn't it the same? Are there advantages to what is specifically listed for Italy? I am failing to see any difference (even if the wording is different), but I'm guessing there is some nuance that I'm not catching. Can someone enlighten me on it?

Having availed myself of the Italy waiver earlier this week—and educated the UA phone agents on it in the process—I believe the chief difference is that if you are willing to keep the same origin, destination, and ticketed cabin and only change dates/routing, not only are the change fees waived, but any fare difference is waived as well.

As I mentioned upthread, this applies to any ticket on 016 stock, including codeshares. I found it very helpful.

blueman2 Mar 11, 20 11:59 am

Originally Posted by dcchi (Post 32169664)
That's a good catch. I've been religiously checking multiple times a day and haven't noticed that (probably because it was still titled "Northern Italy"....I guess FCO isn't in Sicily?).

Thanks.

Only real difference is the ability to move to another flight with same city pair before June 30 in same class with no change in price. For example, I could have bought a P fare, but can move to a C or J fare for same city pair and it costs nothing. Nice benefit, but since it requires moving to a flight that departs before June 30, not of much use to me. No way I will be traveling to FCO before June 30.

RandomBaritone Mar 11, 20 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2 (Post 32169695)
Nice benefit, but since it requires moving to a flight that departs before June 30, not of much use to me. No way I will be traveling to FCO before June 30.

It’s funny you say that; I didn’t think I’d be able to travel before June 30 because of professional commitments, but when those lifted, I jumped on the waiver. Currently heading to VCE on May 17. And I’m not alone: the hotel where we’ll be staying staying is booked solid in May, even though they’re a ghost town now.

Knock on wood, but it appears the market has spoken, and folks think this will be long gone in 6-8 weeks. Fingers crossed.

zagat4 Mar 11, 20 12:24 pm

UA domestic flight change / cancel waiver question.

I am due to fly EWR - Fort Meyers on Friday. Was told on the app I could get a waiver to change at no fee or travel within one year of issue date. If I don't know my new travel dates, what do I do? If I cancel will I get credit without penalty ? That would be ideal. Or do I need to sort out probable or possible new dates and try to book that way and cross fingers ? They don't make it very clear. Sorry if this has been covered.

EsquireFlyer Mar 11, 20 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by zagat4 (Post 32169808)
I am due to fly EWR - Fort Meyers on Friday. Was told on the app I could get a waiver to change at no fee or travel within one year of issue date. If I don't know my new travel dates, what do I do? If I cancel will I get credit without penalty ? That would be ideal. Or do I need to sort out probable or possible new dates and try to book that way and cross fingers ? They don't make it very clear. Sorry if this has been covered.

+1 to this question! I called United and the agent was even more confused than I was about the interactions of overlapping waiver policies.

jsloan Mar 11, 20 12:44 pm

I am due to fly EWR - Fort Meyers on Friday. Was told on the app I could get a waiver to change at no fee or travel within one year of issue date. If I don't know my new travel dates, what do I do? If I cancel will I get credit without penalty ?

Yes. You can cancel and rebook later. You will not be able to get a refund, but the credit will be stored in the reservation, and you will be able to use it later.

For most tickets booked prior to March 3, if the new ticket you want to buy is cheaper than the older ticket, you'll get the remainder in an Electronic Travel Credit to be used within one year.

random.parts Mar 11, 20 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer (Post 32169587)

Edit: Just received said follow-up e-mail, and it includes the following stock language: "Change fees will apply when you use the remaining future flight credit." So not clear if doing this online is the right approach as yet (but again, believe this is probably just generic canned language).

I cancelled a flight booked before March since I did not yet have new dates...just went in to manage booking to change the cancelled flight in the app and the change fee was showing as waived

emcampbe Mar 11, 20 12:53 pm

The other thing: before March 3, many (though likely not all, but also, any fare I've ever booked) has rules allowing the residual value from any rebooking to be returned if the rebooked fare is lower. Post March 3, most fares filed (maybe all, but who knows for sure) has rules that specify to agents that the residual value for any rebooked lower fares to be ignored. That means, with fares that mostly getting lower, having booked pre-March 3 can get the benefit of that, while those booking March 3 and later won't.

In fact, personally, I think that not having access to the residual is a bigger deal than the new policy not allowing refunds unless a schedule change is 25 hours or more. I'm hoping the residual restriction stops being listed in fare rules once the change fee becomes active again.

emcampbe Mar 11, 20 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 32169203)
Interesting... Does it go to an ETC under the rewritten fare rules if the reissued ticket is lower? Or is the fare differential (to the customer's benefit) on the exchange just ignored?

t

the fare rules now showing up commonly, where they weren't before, specifically say the residual value must be ignored - ie, UA keeps it.

Mostly before the no change fees promotion was added, many fares (pretty sure any I've ever booked), specify that the residual from rebooked lower fares go into an ETC (wording is a bit different, but that's essentially what it explains).

JetAway Mar 11, 20 1:18 pm

I tried to re-book a cancelled flight online and the website wants to charge me $200. This flight falls within the latest waiver.

emcampbe Mar 11, 20 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by UAalltheway (Post 32169056)
Where in the T&C does it guarantee a middle seat? Wasn't it merely implied that at check-in you get whatever is left? What was on offer was last available seats, not guaranteed discomfort. Getting a middle seat as a last resort was never complained about as you inherently pay for 'last available seats.' But if the cabin is wide open, it seems they are 'punishing' you, for not buying more then BE.

The point is that the major topics discussed in this thread (tickets waivers, change policies) largely only apply to leisure travelers. Biz travelers on major contracts book flexible tickets anyway, and most of them have been grounded - there is no way to capture that market back for the time being. UA's policy clearly intend to recapture leisure travelers in the next month; this is one just one more example where their customer unfriendly policies are counter productive to their efforts.

this topic is pretty OT for this thread, and IME, should be moved to the BE thread.

that said, BE doesn’t ‘guarantee’ any specific type of seat. It does, as noted, provide for UA to assign a seat that remains available, whatever it is. It doesn’t say it will be the least desirable seat, no, but it also doesn’t specify the best available seat. Most reports show BE flyers getting decent seats where available, including E+ at times, though a couple of more recent reports show seat assignments that were less desirable than others available. C’est la vie with BE.

interestingly enough, even with BE, there is a method to get the type of seat you want - by purchasing it in advance - and when I’ve seen it, it’s even not that much (I‘ve seen midcons for $12). IME, if you’re only willing to buy a basic fare, and not even willing to spend a few bucks on a seat assignment - you’ve got no right to complain about the seat you get. Don’t know why you willingly pay the basic fare, but expect the extras.

drewdawg199 Mar 11, 20 1:20 pm

Apologies if this has been asked already, but say I have an award flight (booked last year) on UA metal that is scheduled to depart in mid-April. Can I use the waiver to change the flight to a distant date, and then request it be cancelled at a later time and redeposited for no charge as a Platinum (>61 days before the new departure date)?
Thanks

jsloan Mar 11, 20 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by drewdawg199 (Post 32170081)
Apologies if this has been asked already, but say I have an award flight (booked last year) on UA metal that is scheduled to depart in mid-April. Can I use the waiver to change the flight to a distant date, and then request it be cancelled at a later time and redeposited for no charge as a Platinum (>61 days before the new departure date)?
Thanks

That should be possible, yes.

milepig Mar 11, 20 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by random.parts (Post 32169912)
I cancelled a flight booked before March since I did not yet have new dates...just went in to manage booking to change the cancelled flight in the app and the change fee was showing as waived

Same thing for me - flight was booked on 1/23 for travel the third week of March. I just went online, hit cancel, the ensuing screen showed a amount do to as the full amount of the ticket. I hit "confirm" and the refund was issued - 3-4 days later it was on my company account, full refund, no questions.