FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

gusd Jan 27, 20 7:54 pm

I have an itinerary to Asia for next week that Iím thinking of canceling, even though there is no waiver. Itís a flexible economy ticket that is refundable for a $300 fee. I used a certificate for part of the ticket and miles+copay with some segments cleared at booking and others waitlisted. A couple of questions I hope you can help me with:
  1. If I have to cancel before a waiver is issued, should I attempt this online or call?
  2. Will the certificate part be reissued as a certificate, and the amount charged to the credit card be refunded to the card?
  3. Am I correct that the miles and copay for the upgrade will be refunded, even if some segments cleared?
  4. As Plat, Iíll have to pay the redeposit fee for the miles beyond the cancelation fee.
Thanks.

findark Jan 27, 20 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by gusd (Post 32002107)
If I have to cancel before a waiver is issued, should I attempt this online or call?

Canceling the ticket should be easy to do online; getting the refund handled correctly could be less so. I would probably call to get it straightened out, but if you're in a hurry you can start with the website. Usually the fare rules will auto-cancel if you no-show though with no additional penalty.

Will the certificate part be reissued as a certificate, and the amount charged to the credit card be refunded to the card?

Yes. This is perhaps the one thing that UA's systems almost never mess up. Not certain but I think you can get the cancel fee paid out of the ETC.

Am I correct that the miles and copay for the upgrade will be refunded, even if some segments cleared?

Yes, but...

As Plat, Iíll have to pay the redeposit fee for the miles beyond the cancelation fee.

Probably this.

Kacee Jan 27, 20 9:34 pm

Will the certificate part be reissued as a certificate, and the amount charged to the credit card be refunded to the card

You have to call to have that handled correctly.

Any reason not to wait a few days for a potential waiver?

Originally Posted by findark (Post 32002252)
Yes. This is perhaps the one thing that UA's systems almost never mess up. Not certain but I think you can get the cancel fee paid out of the ETC.

I had a problem with this very recently. I could not get a refund due to the cert, and the free 24 hour cancel did not process correctly.

Kmxu Jan 27, 20 9:43 pm

I agree that CDCís Level-3 warning is appropriate. There are lots of restrictions on local transportation. For example, you fly to PVG and then to Hangzhou. Before, you could hop on a shuttle bus and three hours later, you would be in the city center of Hangzhou. Now, you have take a taxi ($35) to Hongqiao train station because metro line 2 is not operating. Then, you take a high-speed train and another taxi to your hotel in Hangzhou. Although the high-speed train is still operating normally (except for Hubei Province) in China, other forms of transportation are severely restricted. Once you arrive in your destination, you will have to deal with foods because many restaurants are not operating normally. In other words, nonessential travels should be avoided.

I am glad that I have returned to US. I cut my Chinese New Year trip short by taking advantage of the travel waiver (but lose Polaris upgrade).

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32002363)

With my first hand experience in China in the past week, I predict that UA will extend the waiver for 2-3 weeks. The CDC level-3 warning is another reason for UA to extend the waiver.

flaii Jan 28, 20 3:14 am

One-time change or multiple?

Does anyone know if the travel waiver is limited to a one-time change? I don't see any wording to that effect on the website.

I see that the waiver now covers rebooking through Feb 29. I'd like to reschedule my flight from a few days from now to Feb 9 (as my office is tentatively reopening the next day). But would I then be able to reschedule again, with the fee waiver, in the future if conditions change further? My hope would be yes...

Taipei Jan 28, 20 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Rumples (Post 32002019)
As a data point here - I called the 1K line and asked about TPE today.

They are not going to waive these flights yet, but told me to call back and stay tuned.

So far it is OK in Taiwan, but numbers seem to going up everyday ( 7 people is the current update). Use a private car (rental or other) if you can, I am avoiding public transport if I can for now. We will see what happens the next few days and hope nobody else has this Wuhan disease,

narvik Jan 28, 20 4:59 am

Anyone flying UA to PEK: just heard that there's no taxies. All stopped operating.
(haven't confirmed if this is true)

Another thought: makes me wonder how many lives have been saved so far in this huge effort in trying to contain nCov, because people are probably less likely to get a "normal" flu, etc.

Kmxu Jan 28, 20 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 32002385)
With my first hand experience in China in the past week, I predict that UA will extend the waiver for 2-3 weeks. The CDC level-3 warning is another reason for UA to extend the waiver.

I guess that United read my post and acted promptly. Just kidding!

United is doing the right thing, but I wonít be surprised if the waiver be further extended.
Happy travel.

fumje Jan 28, 20 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 32003211)
I guess that United read my post and acted promptly. Just kidding!

United is doing the right thing, but I wonít be surprised if the waiver be further extended.
Happy travel.

Maybe that was it!

The updated waiver for PEK/PVG/CTU extends to February 29.

luckydog11 Jan 28, 20 6:14 am

Canceled three tickets to PEK for a trip departing 1/28

I was able to cancel three tickets for a trip today from Florida to PEK and received a full refund. I called last night, for my flight today. Thank you United!

gusd Jan 28, 20 6:27 am

Originally Posted by findark (Post 32002252)
Not certain but I think you can get the cancel fee paid out of the ETC.

Thanks for the idea, Iíll give it a try.

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32002363)

Thanks. Iíll wait, just wanted to have all my ducks in a row for when Iíll call. This is to ICN, so I doubt thereíll be a waiver :(

mechteach Jan 28, 20 6:29 am

I'm trying to parse exactly what these two statements mean, taken together, for the PEK/PVG rules:
  • The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing between January 24, 2020 - February 29, 2020, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
  • For wholly rescheduled travel departing after March 31, 2020, or for a change in departure or destination city, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply. Rescheduled travel must be completed within one year from the date when the ticket was issued.
I'm guessing that if you are flying to PEK on 2/1 (say, from ORD), you can reschedule onto the same flight (ORD-PEK) up to 2/29 for no charges, and they will put you in the same cabin. If you want to change to fly ORD-PEK on 4/1, though, you have to pay the difference in fare, but no change fee. Similarly, you could change to ORD-LHR on 4/1, and not pay a change fee. However, if the ORD-LHR fare is more, you would pay more. What happens if the ORD-LHR fare is less? You just eat the difference?

JNelson113 Jan 28, 20 6:53 am

Has anyone had any luck getting UA to change a ticket to HK? My ticket is fully refundable, but I don't want to refund it, I want to change it to May. I got an amazing deal on it, RT from IAH for $500, and I want to fly it once this dies down.

findark Jan 28, 20 7:55 am

Originally Posted by mechteach (Post 32003398)
If you want to change to fly ORD-PEK on 4/1, though, you have to pay the difference in fare, but no change fee. Similarly, you could change to ORD-LHR on 4/1, and not pay a change fee. However, if the ORD-LHR fare is more, you would pay more. What happens if the ORD-LHR fare is less? You just eat the difference?

Something as drastic as LHR could get tricky. The answer to your question would be specifically handled in the fare rules, and it could be a refund of the residual, the residual as an ETC, forfeit the residual, or forfeit the entire ticket (change not allowed). All the waiver would do is waive the change fee specified by the fare rules.

STS-134 Jan 28, 20 8:37 am

UA waiver extended until the end of February for PEK/CTU/PVG, as long as ticket was purchased prior to 1/27 and originally scheduled to depart between 1/24 and 2/29.

UA has given everyone an extra month to use the tickets, allowing rebooking up until 3/31 with no fare difference.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d728a97d08.jpg