FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

elg26 Jan 27, 20 11:20 am

I have a scheduled mid March fight: EWR-NRT-CAN with a return HKG-EWR

I can only assume if they add CAN to the waivers, and not HKG, the full ticket would still qualify for the waiver?

JNelson113 Jan 27, 20 11:42 am

Originally Posted by elg26 (Post 32000438)
I have a scheduled mid March fight: EWR-NRT-CAN with a return HKG-EWR

I can only assume if they add CAN to the waivers, and not HKG, the full ticket would still qualify for the waiver?

I suspect/hope that there will be a HKG waiver soon.

UA1KPHL Jan 27, 20 1:15 pm

tried to get them to them to change to leave from ICN instead of PVG but no go. and Bulk tickets cant be done with airlines must call OTA for everything except upgrades. Cant even use the same day change with bulk tickets?

fumje Jan 27, 20 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31999691)
If they were to leave them unwanted on the table, another US carrier could scoop them. This application process started 20 years ago and most certainly was a long term strategic play. I can see them reducing capacity, but not eliminating routes to BJ, HK, or SH.

Fair point about long term competitive value, and I agree they will not abandon PEK or PVG completely. But I would not be surprised by a downgauge and some kind of route-shuffle a la ORD-HKG / SFO-HKG if fears of travelling to mainland continue to build.

moondog Jan 27, 20 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 32001154)
Fair point about long term competitive value, and I agree they will not abandon PEK or PVG completely. But I would not be surprised by a downgauge and some kind of route-shuffle a la ORD-HKG / SFO-HKG if fears of travelling to mainland continue to build.

Nobody who values their time flies HK if their destination is BJ or SH. This was a common drill in the 90s, but now there are nonstops ~20 city pairs.

rankourabu Jan 27, 20 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by UA1KPHL (Post 32000894)
tried to get them to them to change to leave from ICN instead of PVG but no go. and Bulk tickets cant be done with airlines must call OTA for everything except upgrades. Cant even use the same day change with bulk tickets?

You can SDC bulk tickets after first segment is flown.

kb1992 Jan 27, 20 4:52 pm

The CDC issued a level 3 travel warning, its highest level, recommending travelers avoid all nonessential travel to China. Previously only Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, was at a Level 3. The rest of China was rated Level 2, which recommends "practice enhanced precautions.''

The U.S. State Department issued a level 3 alert for China, urging U.S. citizens to reconsider travel to China. Last week, it issued a level 4 alert, its highest, for Wuhan. A level 4 means "Do not travel.''

I think UA should expand the waiver to HKG and TPE.

STS-134 Jan 27, 20 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992 (Post 32001647)
The CDC issued a level 3 travel warning, its highest level, recommending travelers avoid all nonessential travel to China. Previously only Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, was at a Level 3. The rest of China was rated Level 2, which recommends "practice enhanced precautions.''

The U.S. State Department issued a level 3 alert for China, urging U.S. citizens to reconsider travel to China. Last week, it issued a level 4 alert, its highest, for Wuhan. A level 4 means "Do not travel.''

If you're basing that on the U.S. State Department and CDC recommendations, then no, not yet.
Department of State advisories for HK: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra.../HongKong.html
Department of State advisories for TW: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...es/Taiwan.html

The CDC notice...okay, they DID say "China" without specifying mainland, and as an arm of the US federal government, are obliged to adhere to the One China policy. But I don't think those folks are really concerned about semantics at this point, and their message is directed at the general public. If they wanted to specify inclusion of HK and TW, they would probably have done so explicitly.

bocastephen Jan 27, 20 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992 (Post 32001647)

when the government is talking about “China”, it is never talking about Taiwan as the same entity and almost never includes Hong Kong. These countries or cities are named specifically, regardless of policies or politics.

there are more virus cases in Southern California now than in Taiwan which only has 5 known cases, so there is no reason to include Taiwan in any waiver plan, nor is there evidence of any growing outbreak in Hong Kong.

there is no valid reason to curtail travel to Taiwan or anywhere else in Asia outside of China. No airline currently has a waiver in place for Taiwan or Hong Kong.

Kacee Jan 27, 20 6:24 pm

The thing about this virus is that with the extremely long incubation period (up to 14 days), no one really knows how many people are currently infected.

Taipei Jan 27, 20 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 32001822)
when the government is talking about “China”, it is never talking about Taiwan as the same entity and almost never includes Hong Kong. These countries or cities are named specifically, regardless of policies or politics.

there are more virus cases in Southern California now than in Taiwan which only has 5 known cases, so there is no reason to include Taiwan in any waiver plan, nor is there evidence of any growing outbreak in Hong Kong.

there is no valid reason to curtail travel to Taiwan or anywhere else in Asia outside of China. No airline currently has a waiver in place for Taiwan or Hong Kong.

https://www.evaair.com/en-global/abo...ronavirus.html EVA does have waiver for Hong Kong as well as Macau (MFM). Some of of the Mainland flights from KHH/TPE/TSA have been cancelled and all tours (inbound as well outbound) from here (KHH) have been cancelled for the time being. It's big hit to airlines and hotels moneywise in this region.

bocastephen Jan 27, 20 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Taipei (Post 32001949)
https://www.evaair.com/en-global/abo...ronavirus.html EVA does have waiver for Hong Kong as well as Macau (MFM). Some of of the Mainland flights from KHH/TPE/TSA have been cancelled and all tours (inbound as well outbound) from here (KHH) have been cancelled for the time being. It's big hit to airlines and hotels moneywise in this region.

Then I stand corrected - I had not received a notification from any airline on HK waivers, and I usually receive these automatically. Taiwan, however, remains a perfectly safe place to visit, as are just about every other country in Asia except for China.

As I understand the unfolding developments, Taiwan is shutting down air connections with many cities in China, and is considering a total shutdown of all air travel between the two countries, either direct, or via connecting flights - although having said that, the actual facts that are emerging about this virus, appear not to support the media driven hysteria that is sweeping the planet right now.

My SO just flew YYZ-LAX on AC and half the plane was wearing a variety of masks, including many crew members.

exploreaswego Jan 27, 20 7:01 pm

Thanks for all the info here!

Just want to add to share with the community, I called UA mileageplus line regarding my concerns about my upcoming award flight into HKG on 2/27.

The representative was super understanding about my concerns, cancelled the flight, waived all redeposit fee and reissued the miles back into my account.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/ea...k-an-emergency

We are also talking the city (HKG) that was the epicenter for the SARS epidemic that spread to the world during 2003.
It had spread to a total of more than 8,000 victims and took the lives of more than 700 people.

Just my 2 cents, if possible, just avoid Northern Asia travel altogether, especially if for leisure.
It's not worth the liability, and become a potential spread for the virus unnecessarily.
Once things have calmed down after next month of so, then it should probably be safe to resume normal travels.

Rumples Jan 27, 20 7:17 pm

As a data point here - I called the 1K line and asked about TPE today.

They are not going to waive these flights yet, but told me to call back and stay tuned.

narvik Jan 27, 20 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by bluestrudels (Post 32001976)
Once things have calmed down after next month of so, then it should probably be safe to resume normal travels.

Why next month?
If SARS is anything to go by, it'll take until Summer.