Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
By 2023, UA has returned to the more traditional pre-COVID schedule update process. There are still some closer in changes but far less than during the COVID era.

UA publishes a schedule for 330 days in advance (called Beginning of Schedule) and in the past would make tweaks quarterly and things would be fairly settles 3-4 months out. Updates would occur Friday evening / Saturday morning (Chicago time). Routine additions could occur anytime.

Present updates are every Friday and sometimes mid-week usually focused on the next month and farther out.
Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

20 Oct 2021
Originally Posted by EWR764
In the earnings call today, UA noted that has been transitioning back to its 'normal' (pre-pandemic) 90-day schedule load process, which should be complete in the very near future.
However, during the COVID era, UA has gone to a more dynamic and shorter-term setting of schedule (as has the other carriers). Presently UA, while UA is still publishing a schedule for 330 days in advance it reflects pre-COVID operational levels and is considered just a placeholder schedule. Then 3-5 weeks prior to a month, UA makes a major update of that month's schedule.

Examples (Major updates)
The October 2020 schedule was updated 4-5 September 2020
The November 2020 schedule was updated 2-3 October 2020
The December 2020 schedule was updated 30-31 October 2020
Holidays can move the major date a week earlier or later.
Weekly updates are still generally done over night Friday-Saturday (Chicago)

UA does not publish a summary of most schedule changes but a variety of sources below do and summaries / links of those sources can be found in this thread & wiki.

Always crosscheck with UA's Travel Notices , Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel waivers and information, www.united.com/coronavirus as the situation is dynamic

Other Resources and Statistics
Archive: COVID19 UA-Schedule {Archive}
new Archive : UA-Schedule changes {Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA System Schedule changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2023, 7:11 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Mesa has been with United Express for years. Have flown them many times in Southwestern USA
jsloan, SPN Lifer and VRFast like this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 7:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, AA ExecPlat
I had a schedule change on an award ticket EWR-IAH-SYD that was booked for 80K one-way for that week in March 2024 that was offered at this low price in United I. (All UA)
The website is offering a one-time change limited to +/- 1 day, but it seems free changes must be in the same "class" - I assume that's "I" which is non-existent obviously for Australia fares...
(When I try to change the date or time same day all reprices using UA metal are in the 250-400K range)

Would calling or texting yield better results?
Old Jun 22, 2023, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by psiachp
I had a schedule change on an award ticket EWR-IAH-SYD that was booked for 80K one-way for that week in March 2024 that was offered at this low price in United I. (All UA)
The website is offering a one-time change limited to +/- 1 day, but it seems free changes must be in the same "class" - I assume that's "I" which is non-existent obviously for Australia fares...
(When I try to change the date or time same day all reprices using UA metal are in the 250-400K range)

Would calling or texting yield better results?
Yes, you’re likely to have better luck with an actual agent.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 7:42 pm

Just had a schedule change on LH flights (not UA codeshares) that I booked through UA. This is part of a cash ticket. UA now doesn't reflect the seats I selected on LH, even though the LH site shows them. Is this normal, or should I be concerned?
Old Jun 27, 2023, 7:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by forthecookies
Just had a schedule change on LH flights (not UA codeshares) that I booked through UA. This is part of a cash ticket. UA now doesn't reflect the seats I selected on LH, even though the LH site shows them. Is this normal, or should I be concerned?
normal if the LH operated flights are correct on LH

what was the timeframe of the changes?
Old Jun 28, 2023, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by forthecookies
10% of the time does UA show my LH seats (at all or correctly). Whatever LH shows is correct.
SPN Lifer and forthecookies like this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
normal if the LH operated flights are correct on LH

what was the timeframe of the changes?
Thanks! Flight is in December.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

o.k., the expected August EWR changes are hitting my account tonight.

In addition I am getting January domestic changes already.

What's up with changes on a Wednesday????
Old Jul 26, 2023, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
o.k., the expected August EWR changes are hitting my account tonight.

In addition I am getting January domestic changes already.

I am getting Christmastime schedule changes as well. My guess is that UA is putting in August changes at EWR and wanted to get them in ASAP so loaded other regular schedule changes from this Friday

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/united-airlines-details-temporary-newark-flight-cuts-2023-07-26/
Old Jul 27, 2023, 9:35 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
They've been doing Wednesday/Friday updates starting at about 7PM Eastern since at least the start of the pandemic. Wednesday is generally a little less drastic than Friday, but exceptions have existed--and with something as major as the EWR cuts, this is such an exception.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Has United's schedule change frequency become quite a bit lower than pre-pandemic? I was used to get schedule changes on long-out booked flights monthly at least in the past until about two month before flights-date, but for my recent trip which I booked in February for October, so far I only had one schedule change. I normally always book the cheapest option I can find to my destination and then change to the actually-desired routing and times once a change occurs, but this time I was really sweating it until that one single change came about...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Aug 11, 2023, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by djohannw
Has United's schedule change frequency become quite a bit lower than pre-pandemic? I was used to get schedule changes on long-out booked flights monthly at least in the past until about two month before flights-date, but for my recent trip which I booked in February for October, so far I only had one schedule change. I normally always book the cheapest option I can find to my destination and then change to the actually-desired routing and times once a change occurs, but this time I was really sweating it until that one single change came about...

Greetings - Dirk
They're on to you...

David
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DELee
They're on to you...
I'm sure that was tongue-in-cheek, but I suspect that's basically it. Their scheduling algorithms have likely improved to the point where they can reduce the number of large schedule changes that allow this kind of abuse. Of course, the next step would be to follow Air Canada where your only choices are to accept the change or cancel. In my experience, they don't allow free changes regardless of how large or onerous the schedule change is.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got hit with a ton of schedule changes.
October - EWR-BOS going from lie-flat 752 to 73M
December - TATL schedule change
January - TATL schedule change
February - TPAC schedule change
Old Aug 12, 2023, 11:33 am

(I) award on UA917 (via LAX) was changed to arrive 1 hr later. Was able to change to UA642 departing a day earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.