FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

STS-134 Jan 26, 20 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by tryathlete (Post 31996874)
At this rate, there will either be lots of PZ availability or no availability at all. Iím seeing full flights from China to USA and empty flights the other way.

Crazy. Check out tomorrow's UA888. I don't think I've ever seen a seat map like this, and PZ9, at T-23 hours before:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d7de6baf71.jpg

deskover54 Jan 26, 20 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 31997002)
Crazy. Check out tomorrow's UA888. I don't think I've ever seen a seat map like this, and PZ9, at T-23 hours before:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d7de6baf71.jpg

to be fair, it was probably like that before the virus. no business traveler flies to China this week - there is literally nothing for a business person to do.

mozilla Jan 26, 20 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 31997002)
I don't think I've ever seen a seat map like this, and PZ9, at T-23 hours before:

All 9's in the inventory. OW G-fares are offered for $300. Seats in an almost empty Polaris cabin for $4.5k RT.

STS-134 Jan 26, 20 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by deskover54 (Post 31997225)
to be fair, it was probably like that before the virus. no business traveler flies to China this week - there is literally nothing for a business person to do.

Plenty of people would be going to China to visit family, etc. And under normal conditions, I'm sure many of them would be upgrading, either by purchasing TODs or with miles and co-pay.

JetSetDave Jan 26, 20 2:26 pm

Wonder if UA will consolidate some of these China flights due to possible light loads. That will create schedule changes and opportunities for refunds and rebooked itineraries.

Also have upcoming PEK and CTU reservations and wishing for an extended waiver to modify them.

STS-134 Jan 26, 20 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by JetSetDave (Post 31997296)
Wonder if UA will consolidate some of these China flights due to possible light loads. That will create schedule changes and opportunities for refunds and rebooked itineraries.

Doubt it. The planes are flying out empty, but they still need the capacity to get everyone out.

kb1992 Jan 26, 20 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by JetSetDave (Post 31997296)

Also have upcoming PEK and CTU reservations and wishing for an extended waiver to modify them.

UA already suspended operation of some China flights on some days during Chinese New Year e.g. ORD-PVG. This has been standard practice in the past 10-20 years.

I have booked 2/3 PVG-SFO-BOS and tried to re-book next few days. Y cabin is very much full for PVG to SFO, ORD, EWR and LAX.

Even J cabin is packed. I can't find any PN for Jan. 27,28,29.30.

bocastephen Jan 26, 20 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Rumples (Post 31995564)
Holding a ticket to TPE rt from SFO. Really hoping to get the waiver extended in a week or so. Flying third week of Feb.

since neither Taipei or Taiwan is part of China I donít see how or why United would extend a China travel waiver to Taipei, but having said that, should the virus gain a foothold there, a waiver should be added. Iím flying back to TPE early Feb and the in-laws who are there now plus my parents are pressuring us to cancel the trip, but I honestly donít see the risk at this point. There are so few cases there, and the one person who knowingly s exposed people down south has been fined a substantial amount of money and is lucky his neighbors havenít dismembered him already.

HariOm Jan 27, 20 12:27 am

I just cancelled a BKK>PEK>SFO J award for 2 March. At the UA site it was showing the $125 redeposit fee, so I called and the agent immediately waived the fee and credited the points in realtime.

moondog Jan 27, 20 12:33 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 31997403)
since neither Taipei or Taiwan is part of China I donít see how or why United would extend a China travel waiver to Taipei, but having said that, should the virus gain a foothold there, a waiver should be added. Iím flying back to TPE early Feb and the in-laws who are there now plus my parents are pressuring us to cancel the trip, but I honestly donít see the risk at this point. There are so few cases there, and the one person who knowingly s exposed people down south has been fined a substantial amount of money and is lucky his neighbors havenít dismembered him already.

1. More than a billion people disagree with your statement; I'm not saying I'm among them, but just thought I'd point that out

2. Getting back on topic, Taipei has been listed among cities that are at risk of receiving an outbreak

PsiFighter37 Jan 27, 20 6:53 am

Wonder how long UA waits for this to get worse before cutting capacity to China. Would imagine ex-ORD routes are probably on the chopping block first, same as with HKG...

moondog Jan 27, 20 7:43 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 31999412)
Wonder how long UA waits for this to get worse before cutting capacity to China. Would imagine ex-ORD routes are probably on the chopping block first, same as with HKG...

Do you remember how much effort they put into getting their frequencies (I'm not counting Chengdu and Xi'an) in the first place?

fumje Jan 27, 20 7:50 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31999550)
Do you remember how much effort they put into getting their frequencies (I'm not counting Chengdu and Xi'an) in the first place?

That effort would be sunk cost, though. If they think the outlook is poor in the longer term, I do expect they will scale down the capacity.

moondog Jan 27, 20 8:21 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 31999577)
That effort would be sunk cost, though. If they think the outlook is poor in the longer term, I do expect they will scale down the capacity.

If they were to leave them unwanted on the table, another US carrier could scoop them. This application process started 20 years ago and most certainly was a long term strategic play. I can see them reducing capacity, but not eliminating routes to BJ, HK, or SH.

UA_Flyer Jan 27, 20 9:45 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31999691)
If they were to leave them unwanted on the table, another US carrier could scoop them. This application process started 20 years ago and most certainly was a long term strategic play. I can see them reducing capacity, but not eliminating routes to BJ, HK, or SH.

Agree!

Cutting a couple flights per week instead of daily services or use smaller and more efficient aircrafts such as 788/9 may be the likely outcomes..

I was surprised to see UA cut ORD-HKG entirely, though!