FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

fatlasercat Mar 4, 20 9:39 am

It would be good to get some clarity on the etc for fare difference question. Some people claim no etc if changing to a lower fare, but I find that hard to believe.

jsloan Mar 4, 20 9:43 am

Originally Posted by yonatan (Post 32139918)
Or do change fees always go to the carrier on whose ticket stock the ticket is issued even if it's another carrier's fare that is being ticketed, so it's really UA's to waive on an 016 ticket?

Ticket reissue fees are collected by the carrier doing the reissuing -- on a 016 ticket, that's UA. It's the same reason that SDC won't work on a non-UA ticket; UA can't waive those fees because it doesn't collect them.

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32140933)
Yes. Hard to fault them for that. The purpose here is to allow passengers flexibility, not arbitrage fares.

I disagree; I absolutely fault them for this, and it will guarantee that I don't take advantage of this promotion -- at least, for any fares above about $400, anyway. If I buy a ticket, and then end up not being able to go due to all of the reasons RNE stated, I would expect to be able to use my credit to go somewhere else and to retain the difference in an ETC. I would rather have a ticket with a change fee that retained residual value than a ticket with no change fee that didn't.

spin88 Mar 4, 20 9:59 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32141075)
Ticket reissue fees are collected by the carrier doing the reissuing -- on a 016 ticket, that's UA. It's the same reason that SDC won't work on a non-UA ticket; UA can't waive those fees because it doesn't collect them.

I disagree; I absolutely fault them for this, and it will guarantee that I don't take advantage of this promotion -- at least, for any fares above about $400, anyway. If I buy a ticket, and then end up not being able to go due to all of the reasons RNE stated, I would expect to be able to use my credit to go somewhere else and to retain the difference in an ETC. I would rather have a ticket with a change fee that retained residual value than a ticket with no change fee that didn't.

+1. I will look further, but this is a "catch" that was not clear from the language UA put out. I assumed the difference would be rebated, which is important when looking at expensive international tickets. I was actually going to go and buy tickets to/from Europe early April in PE on UA/LH (fare is good and flights work) but not if I end up with a "credit" that I have to use on a more expensive ticket later, or eat the difference in fare.

yw379 Mar 4, 20 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Delta2010 (Post 32140978)
Just want to share information that some here may find useful. We had booked a vacation to Switzerland for April. This reservation was made in January prior to Coronavirus fears. Two tickets were Basic economy and two were award tickets. Even though, there is no waiver for Switzerland, I still called them to ask for options. Since this is related to coronavirus, they issued me an exemption and were able to cancel all tickets and issue a credit to our accounts for one year. For the award tickets, a rebooking fee of $125 per ticket will apply at the time of rebooking. For basic economy tickets, full credit will be applied toward fare of new tickets.

I think it was generous of them to issue a credit even though there is no waiver for Switzerland at this time.

That was very generous with BE tickets! Do you mind sharing what were your travel dates specifically?

jsloan Mar 4, 20 10:10 am

Originally Posted by spin88 (Post 32141151)
+1. I will look further, but this is a "catch" that was not clear from the language UA put out. I assumed the difference would be rebated, which is important when looking at expensive international tickets. I was actually going to go and buy tickets to/from Europe early April in PE on UA/LH (fare is good and flights work) but not if I end up with a "credit" that I have to use on a more expensive ticket later, or eat the difference in fare.

I have passed on multiple P fares due to this kind of language in the past. UA and LH group often seem to include it, so I'm always careful to check.

Delta2010 Mar 4, 20 10:56 am

Originally Posted by yw379 (Post 32141187)
That was very generous with BE tickets! Do you mind sharing what were your travel dates specifically?

04/18 arrival in ZRH
04/25 departure from GVA

WormGod Mar 4, 20 10:59 am

In that case, wouldn't you be able to CANCEL the ticket (and get an ETC) and then book your new trip separately?

yonatan Mar 4, 20 11:06 am

So does this mean that when UA says the no-change-fee deal applies to 016 tickets, itís safe to assume that would include 016 tickets that include fares by other carriers, since itís UA that would be in a position to waive any change fees on those fares once ticketed on 016 stock?

jsloan Mar 4, 20 11:13 am

Originally Posted by WormGod (Post 32141398)
In that case, wouldn't you be able to CANCEL the ticket (and get an ETC) and then book your new trip separately?

Honestly, I'm not sure. Generally, a cancellation is treated the same as a change; it's just that it takes longer between the time that the old flight is removed from the record and the time that a new change is added. UA's "Cancellations" guidelines don't say anything about "equal or lesser value;" that text is only in "Changes." I think we'll need to wait to see what happens if someone tries it (by which point, the promo may well be over).

Originally Posted by yonatan (Post 32141426)
So does this mean that when UA says the no-change-fee deal applies to 016 tickets, itís safe to assume that would include 016 tickets that include fares by other carriers, since itís UA that would be in a position to waive any change fees on those fares once ticketed on 016 stock?

That is how I am interpreting it, yes. They are in a position to waive those fees, and they went to great lengths to include non-UA-operated flights in their text ("all tickets, all fare types, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016.").

RNE Mar 4, 20 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by SS255 (Post 32140976)
I have to go to Boston in June.

I'm in the lottery for King Tut tickets in Boston. But without refundable airfare, I'm not going to book it (assuming I can even get museum tickets) because the exhibit could be shut down.

If I buy a ticket, and then end up not being able to go due to all of the reasons RNE stated, I would expect to be able to use my credit to go somewhere else and to retain the difference in an ETC.

That RNE guy is a genius.

mduell Mar 4, 20 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu (Post 32140805)
So is SDC now essentially free for all?

No, since you'd have to pay the difference to the then-current fare for the flight you want.

dcchi Mar 4, 20 2:14 pm

Posting in case others are in a similar situation. We are on a flight (second half of March) EWR-FCO. Been monitoring the United travel waiver page and been frustrated that they haven't applied it to all of Italy. Finally decided to call United today to see my options (I had read the comment above about a ETC for a flight in Switzerland, which gave me hope). My experience was similar. After being transferred from a normal CS agent to a different department, I was told that I could cancel my reservation and would be given a ticket credit that would be valid for one year of when I originally booked my flight (for me, early January). They would waive the change fee and it could be used towards any flight. The credit was only applicable for the passenger for which it was named under (i.e. couldn't combine two family members' credits for a more expensive flight). If I cancelled I would not get any physical or emailed confirmation, and the credit was simply linked to my confirmation number. (I was skeptical of this, but she said that I could also check online and see that my trip was cancelled if I told her to cancel it on the call.)

That all seemed fair and in line with what they were offering for Northern Italy on United's website. Am I wrong about this? Or, is it subpar to what they are offering Northern Italy flights currently? It seems the same to me, which makes me wonder why they are not simply saying that on their travel waiver webpage.

Ultimately, I decided not to cancel at this moment since I still have a little time to see if they provide a broader travel waiver. I'm guessing they won't, in which case I will just cancel in a week or so.

Hope that helps others in a similar boat.

aresef Mar 4, 20 2:34 pm

No change fee? I'll take that deal. Fares for a trip I'm eyeing (BWI-LAX RT early May) have cratered. Though I know it's aimed at the innumerable trans-pacific pax screwed by United's scaling back of China and Japan service.

I do wonder, when we're done with all this, what will the damage be? Not just to UA's bottom line, but it's not like they can flip a switch and have crews back to work, jets in the air.

jsloan Mar 4, 20 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by dcchi (Post 32142179)
That all seemed fair and in line with what they were offering for Northern Italy on United's website. Am I wrong about this? Or, is it subpar to what they are offering Northern Italy flights currently? It seems the same to me, which makes me wonder why they are not simply saying that on their travel waiver webpage.

It is the same, and it seems fair to me. As for why there hasn't been a broader waiver -- your guess is as good as mine.

Kalakala Mar 4, 20 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by dcchi (Post 32142179)
Posting in case others are in a similar situation. We are on a flight (second half of March) EWR-FCO. Been monitoring the United travel waiver page and been frustrated that they haven't applied it to all of Italy. Finally decided to call United today to see my options (I had read the comment above about a ETC for a flight in Switzerland, which gave me hope). My experience was similar. After being transferred from a normal CS agent to a different department, I was told that I could cancel my reservation and would be given a ticket credit that would be valid for one year of when I originally booked my flight (for me, early January). They would waive the change fee and it could be used towards any flight. The credit was only applicable for the passenger for which it was named under (i.e. couldn't combine two family members' credits for a more expensive flight). If I cancelled I would not get any physical or emailed confirmation, and the credit was simply linked to my confirmation number. (I was skeptical of this, but she said that I could also check online and see that my trip was cancelled if I told her to cancel it on the call.)

Ultimately, I decided not to cancel at this moment since I still have a little time to see if they provide a broader travel waiver. I'm guessing they won't, in which case I will just cancel in a week or so.

Hope that helps others in a similar boat.

I also made a call to Reservations Desk and decided to cancel when told that the change fee would be waived under the conditions described above. After reading this post, I went online and created a dummy booking and discovered that a change fee was applied. When I'm ready for a real booking, I'll call the Reservations Desk to see whether the "note" which waives the change fee has been attached to my record as indicated in the phone call. If that note is not attached, I will engage the folks in Customer Experience.