FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

narvik Jan 25, 20 12:08 am

At PEK PP lounge now, but back in China next week, then on UA back to USA on Saturday.
​​​​
People seem quite concerned. Talking to each other 50 feet apart at the park whilst taking their toddlers out for a stroll.
Many schools likely will remain closed once the holidays are over, etc.

90% + are wearing masks at the airport, including 100% of airport staff, crews, etc.

For anyone flying UA to China in the next few days/weeks (including, and maybe ESPECIALLY the cities with the UA waivers) you will be a hero if you can bring some face masks with you and give them to friends, family and colleagues. There's a HUGE shortage!
Mind you, they are now getting hard to find in the USA too...

Be safe, and Happy New Year!

Added: now on plane to HKG: just about EVERYONE onboard the CX flight is wearing a mask...
Quite uncanny.....

moondog Jan 25, 20 3:27 am

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 31992269)
For anyone flying UA to China in the next few days/weeks (including, and maybe ESPECIALLY the cities with the UA waivers) you will be a hero if you can bring some face masks with you and give them to friends, family and colleagues. There's a HUGE shortage!
Mind you, they are now getting hard to find in the USA too....

The closest convenience store to me now has face masks on the counter, and they are not overpriced.

Kmxu Jan 25, 20 3:57 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31992536)
The closest convenience store to me now has face masks on the counter, and they are not overpriced.

The workers at the mask factories are in Spring Festival break. The factory output is limited but demands are skyrocketed. More masks will be produced in a few more days after those workers return to work.

dordal Jan 25, 20 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 31992577)
The workers at the mask factories are in Spring Festival break. The factory output is limited but demands are skyrocketed. More masks will be produced in a few more days after those workers return to work.

This is really the case? There's a shortage of masks in China, and the workers at the mask factories in China are on holiday?

It would seem the government would declare a national emergency and return the workers to work.

Repooc17 Jan 25, 20 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by dordal (Post 31994751)
This is really the case? There's a shortage of masks in China, and the workers at the mask factories in China are on holiday?

It would seem the government would declare a national emergency and return the workers to work.

The current holiday is a huge one in China; where it's the only time some folks are able to travel home across the country.

There are reports some workers are being recalled to produce additional masks. That said, it's still not going be sufficient despite added shifts.

Rumples Jan 26, 20 2:23 am

Holding a ticket to TPE rt from SFO. Really hoping to get the waiver extended in a week or so. Flying third week of Feb.

mozilla Jan 26, 20 5:40 am

Originally Posted by dordal (Post 31994751)

Yeah, no, not in China. The government would lose too much face if they declared a national emergency. They'll force workers to go back to work, but they'll stop short of declaring it a national emergency.

Originally Posted by Rumples (Post 31995564)
Holding a ticket to TPE rt from SFO. Really hoping to get the waiver extended in a week or so. Flying third week of Feb.

Should be no problem when the multiplication of cases after the China New Year and Spring Festival becomes publicized.

mehitabel Jan 26, 20 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Rumples (Post 31995564)

I'm holding EWR-PEK Feb 10th. Read upthread (or in the China forum?) that United is planning a waiver extension Mon 1/27. Fingers crossed, but an extension, soon, does seems logical.

whitethunder Jan 26, 20 8:26 am

Originally Posted by mehitabel (Post 31996151)
I'm holding EWR-PEK Feb 10th. Read upthread (or in the China forum?) that United is planning a waiver extension Mon 1/27. Fingers crossed, but an extension, soon, does seems logical.

I am also hoping for the waiver extension I have a SFO-PVG Mileage Run planned on Feb 20th and I don't think I can convince the wife it is still a good idea (I would love to go though as I am the only one in E+ still and its less than a month out would of hopefully have the whole row to myself)

kohlby Jan 26, 20 9:51 am

Anyone care to guess the chances of United expanding the waiver to include price difference? I’m scheduled to fly to PEK on Feb 13th from the US and will reschedule. I’m trying to guess if it’s better to reschedule now and pay the fare price difference or wait to see if it will be expanded. My rescheduled return to Beijing will be flexible in mid-March but I’ll need four seats in business class. (I live in both Beijing and US and did first part of round trip ticket to US in mid Dec). I know no one can know for sure but I’m not an experienced enough traveler to know if it’s best to get my new flight now to make it easier to get seats together and a better time of day or to wait it out to save some money. (I’ll be flying with three kids).

mehitabel Jan 26, 20 10:04 am

Originally Posted by kohlby (Post 31996455)
Anyone care to guess the chances of United expanding the waiver to include price difference? I知 scheduled to fly to PEK on Feb 13th from the US and will reschedule. I知 trying to guess if it痴 better to reschedule now and pay the fare price difference or wait to see if it will be expanded. My rescheduled return to Beijing will be flexible in mid-March but I値l need four seats in business class. (I live in both Beijing and US and did first part of round trip ticket to US in mid Dec). I know no one can know for sure but I知 not an experienced enough traveler to know if it痴 best to get my new flight now to make it easier to get seats together and a better time of day or to wait it out to save some money. (I値l be flying with three kids).

Per post #44 by kevflyer below, United may update waiver tomorrow.....so at least wait until then?

Originally Posted by kevflyer (Post 31987842)
Just got off the phone with an Expedia supervisor who said an UA agent told him United will be updating the travel waiver to include more cities and dates on Monday. Not sure if that's true I'll keep an eye on things.

jsloan Jan 26, 20 10:06 am

Anyone care to guess the chances of United expanding the waiver to include price difference?

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

It depends upon the news that comes out of China. If things start to improve, they likely won稚 expand the waiver. If things get worse, they likely will.

I知 scheduled to fly to PEK on Feb 13th from the US and will reschedule. I知 trying to guess if it痴 better to reschedule now and pay the fare price difference or wait to see if it will be expanded. My rescheduled return to Beijing will be flexible in mid-March but I値l need four seats in business class.

Check the fare rules for your flight you should be able to see a link to them when viewing your reservation and see what the maximum stay is, if any. If it痴 long enough to include March, there痴 a good chance that there would be no fare difference on at least a couple of days within your target window. Generally, they won稚 re-price the fare if there is inventory in your original booking class, you池e not changing the first coupon (which you池e not you already flew it), and all of the conditions of the original fare are met except advance purchase requirements.

Kmxu Jan 26, 20 10:40 am

Originally Posted by mehitabel (Post 31996498)
Per post #44 by kevflyer below, United may update waiver tomorrow.....so at least wait until then?

This kevflyer post might be referred to the update from WUH waiver to PVG/PEK/CTU waiver issued on 25th. Both DL and AA issued waivers before UA. So, I guess that there won稚 be another extension to be issued on Jan 27, but future extension is likely.

kevflyer Jan 26, 20 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by mehitabel (Post 31996498)

Sorry I didn't post an update. Actually UA added the PEK , CTU and PVG waivers on Friday evening. When I wrote that, UA hadn't made any waivers for outside Wuhan, so I'm not sure if there will be any updates tomorrow. But given how things are happening right now, I would say chances are more than good that UA will add more dates and cities (like HKG? - they just closed Disneyland there)

tryathlete Jan 26, 20 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31991852)
It depends on your fare rules. Some tickets may have a $150 change fee, but it's (much) more on many international fares.

At this rate, there will either be lots of PZ availability or no availability at all. I知 seeing full flights from China to USA and empty flights the other way.