FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

kb1992 Mar 3, 20 5:07 pm

United announces flexible booking policy for March because of coronavirus ‘uncertainty’

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...r-15102788.php

Similar to B6? Only newly booked tickets eligible.

jsloan Mar 3, 20 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by jp12687 (Post 32138443)
So if you book today then decide to cancel next week due to coronavirus you get your money back.

No, you don't. You get credit toward a future flight (waived change fee). Note that this appears to apply to BE tickets also.

Booking today you are more likely to cancel since you know whatís going on.

That is specifically the behavior that UA wants. (Well, not the cancellation part).

whats the point of this policy? Besides to piss people off

It's the same as the (poorer -- more restrictive) policies from AA and DL: to try to get people to buy tickets.

If you booked prior to this policy coming into effect, you may still be covered by a waiver, or, if not, you can still make a change under the fare rules of the original ticket. This is just an incentive to try to get people to buy tickets instead of playing a game of wait-and-see.

jsloan Mar 3, 20 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by sfpaul900 (Post 32138413)
Unless I'm missing something, their T&C are not mentioning award travel. If you book award travel March 1-31 and then cancel are you still liable for the redeposit fee? What about the taxes paid? I did a sample booking and the cancellation and redeposit fees are the same as they've always been

It's pretty clear that it applies to all tickets booked on 016 stock:

Fare Validity: This applies to all tickets, all fare types, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016.

daisyatl Mar 3, 20 6:09 pm

"Book With Flexibility. There are no change fees when you book through March 31."

Hi - Perhaps I missed a thread where someone posted about this but I am seeing this on the United homepage but not seeing any more details. When I click on it, it just takes me to a booking page. I am not sure what it all means.

mr8 Mar 3, 20 6:13 pm

Just got the email titled We're waiving change fees:

Book now knowing
you have flexibility

There's no fee to change travel booked between March 3 and March 31.

We know people are taking a second look at their travel plans right now, and we want you to have flexibility when planning your next trip — that's why when you book a flight with us between March 3 and March 31, 2020, you can change it for free over the next 12 months.

Terms and conditions:

Tickets: For tickets issued March 3 through March 31, 2020, customers will be permitted to change free of charge to a flight of equal or lesser value up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no fee but must pay the fare difference. If the customer decides to cancel their flight, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without fee for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date.
Cancellations: If the customer decides to cancel the flight they booked between March 3 and March 31, 2020, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without fee for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date.
Fare Validity: This applies to all tickets, all fare types, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016.
Minimum Stay: No minimum stay.
Blackout Dates: No blackout dates.
Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Fares are nonrefundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.

ajGoes Mar 3, 20 6:15 pm

Terms & conditions here.

mduell Mar 3, 20 6:33 pm

Unclear if you get a ETC for the difference if the new fare is lower.

Regardless, this was what I was waiting for, so I've already booked one and held another to book soon.

slice Mar 3, 20 6:33 pm

This isnít unique to United, but can someone explain why this is only applicable to new bookings made today vs a week ago or some other date in the past (allfor travel in March).

It seems to incentivize speculative bookings but offers no accommodation to those who booked without having a full (or any) picture of the risks.

mduell Mar 3, 20 6:36 pm

whats the point of this policy? Besides to piss people off

To drive new bookings, as I suspect bookings have really dried up lately given the uncertainty about the future.

All past waivers for regions actually impacted remain, so existing reservations are no worse off than they were yesterday.

NJKen Mar 3, 20 6:38 pm

So the big question can I cancel and rebook my trip to Rio this month that has gone down over $400 in price

Edit: nope

jsloan Mar 3, 20 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by slice (Post 32138732)
This isnít unique to United, but can someone explain why this is only applicable to new bookings made today vs a week ago or some other date in the past (allfor travel in March).

It seems to incentivize speculative bookings but offers no accommodation to those who booked without having a full (or any) picture of the risks.

That is precisely the point. They are trying to get people to buy tickets. I suspect that demand has dropped significantly.

mr8 Mar 3, 20 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by slice (Post 32138732)

Theyíre getting desperate for cash.

Absolute Mar 3, 20 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by mr8 (Post 32138754)
Theyíre getting desperate for cash.

It's great marketing for them, especially as they're waiving change fees... But not allowing full refunds. They're locking in money upfront, as cancellations provide a credit towards a future flight.

mr8 Mar 3, 20 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32138504)
No, you don't. You get credit toward a future flight (waived change fee). Note that this appears to apply to BE tickets also.

What happens to tickets booked in March if your destination gets service suspended? Will they force you to take a credit because of the waiver or will you still be able to get a refund?

higher_flyer Mar 3, 20 7:09 pm

Been waiting on this. Happy to book away now.