FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

Kmxu Mar 2, 20 12:10 pm

Just wait!
 

Originally Posted by yw379 (Post 32133027)
I am on the same boat! 4/29 to FCO and 5/10 return from MXP.

Just wait. You will not travel in 8 weeks. The situation is so fluid. You may be able to get full refund if an updated waiver includes FCO.
My round trip to MXP in late March was changed to middle May on united.com. It was a half-priced XN fare (30K miles round trip, purchased on Cyber Monday). The rebooked flights were on YN fare for outbound, but XN fare on return. The initially quoted price was over 100K miles, but I was not charged to this amount. So, it was an even exchange despite of a different booking class. I was happy that I did not have to make a call to 1K line.
Good luck, everyone.

blueman2 Mar 2, 20 5:08 pm

I am really surprised that UA has not taken any action since all of italy was made Level 3 by State Dept (FCO still not covered by any waiver a full 3 days after State Dept announcement that Rome is included in the Level 3 category), and that UA has not followed AA or B6 is setting aside change fees for new tickets.

fed planner Mar 2, 20 5:11 pm


Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32132617)
Yes, if you're keeping the cities the same and if your dates are covered by a waiver. (So far, yours aren't).

Actually, it looks like Venice is covered through end of June - but not Geneva at this point. I do agree that waiting to make changes is the best approach at the point and see where we're at in two months.

jsloan Mar 2, 20 6:22 pm


Originally Posted by fed planner (Post 32134365)
Actually, it looks like Venice is covered through end of June

No; while you can rebook your flight through June 30 without paying a difference in airfare, only flights through April 30 are currently eligible.

If you were flying into a city with a waiver, but returning from a city without a waiver, the waiver would still apply.

jimdarcy Mar 2, 20 6:54 pm


Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32134556)
No; while you can rebook your flight through June 30 without paying a difference in airfare, only flights through April 30 are currently eligible.

If you were flying into a city with a waiver, but returning from a city without a waiver, the waiver would still apply.

what if you have a connecting flight through FRA final destination FLR, any guesses on refunds and waivers there?

ATLflyer2017 Mar 2, 20 7:02 pm

I am flying in to Paris on United in May and then returning to the US from Rome. I know the waiver does not include Rome yet, but is there any chance I could call and try to change my departure to be from another European city? Or should I wait. I am not really concerned about the virus but if I guess it could become a problem. Hopefully things get figured out soon!

fed planner Mar 2, 20 7:03 pm


Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32134556)
No; while you can rebook your flight through June 30 without paying a difference in airfare, only flights through April 30 are currently eligible.

If you were flying into a city with a waiver, but returning from a city without a waiver, the waiver would still apply.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification. Of course, at this rate, it's inevitable that this gets extended, unfortunately.

jsloan Mar 2, 20 9:07 pm


Originally Posted by jimdarcy (Post 32134653)
what if you have a connecting flight through FRA final destination FLR, any guesses on refunds and waivers there?

There currently isn't a waiver in place for either Frankfurt or Florence, so it's a YMMV situation. If possible, I'd wait.


Originally Posted by jackvogt (Post 32134667)
I am flying in to Paris on United in May and then returning to the US from Rome. I know the waiver does not include Rome yet, but is there any chance I could call and try to change my departure to be from another European city? Or should I wait.

You should wait. Your cities and travel dates are both outside of the current waiver period -- but you have plenty of time. There's no need to call and ask for an agent to make such a big exception. Things should be much clearer in a few weeks.

david_oz Mar 2, 20 10:28 pm

Looking for some advice on my currently scheduled travel. Original ticket was booked late last year to HK and was meant to take place this weekend. On Feb 7, I rescheduled it to April 8th under the waiver in place at that time.

full itin is YYC-YVR-MUC-HKG-SFO-YYC. Upgrades are confirmed for YVR-MUC-HKG on LH using plus points. I’m hesitant to reschedule because of the magic I had to work to make the change to this routing to enable the upgrades in the first place. Meanwhile, HKG-SFO on UA is now cancelled and so I definitely need to change the ticket one way or another. How do I read the waiver that the original ticket must have been purchased by Feb 12? If I make a change to the HKG-SFO-YYC part, and the ticket is reissued, am I still covered under the waiver for future changes, or have I blown it because my ticket will now be dated after Feb 12?

my current line of thinking is to just leave the ticket as is until a few days before departure and make a game time decision whether to refund it, reschedule it, or go ahead and find a new way home from Hong Kong.

username Mar 2, 20 10:40 pm


Originally Posted by david_oz (Post 32135110)
...my current line of thinking is to just leave the ticket as is until a few days before departure and make a game time decision whether to refund it, reschedule it, or go ahead and find a new way home from Hong Kong.

I would either cancel the trip or leave it and see what happens. The whole problem is things are so dynamic - who knows what will happen other than this thing will spread further. Then when quarantine rules change or flights are cancelled, you are stuck.

I do think that there is really no need to worry about upgrades - loads are light on many routes and probably will get worse. So, if the flight operates, upgrades or full row in Y might not be a problem. Since your final destination is in Canada, I would try to get on any AC flight to avoid transitting in another place.

There was this interesting story today. A Taiwanese group of 11 people went TPE-IST-TLV on TK for a sightseeing trip. It turned out someone from the Diamond Princess was on their IST-TLV flight. That person had recovered but tested positive again upon arriving TLV. So, Israel asked the group from Taiwan to leave (I think they were there for a day). They actually took a chartered TK 737-900 (sounded like TK took care of it?) from IST to TPE (with a technical landing in Karachi).

econ Mar 2, 20 10:49 pm


Originally Posted by blueman2 (Post 32134355)
and that UA has not followed AA or B6 is setting aside change fees for new tickets.

Or AS, or DL. Still nothing from UA.

jsloan Mar 3, 20 12:05 am


Originally Posted by david_oz (Post 32135110)
How do I read the waiver that the original ticket must have been purchased by Feb 12? If I make a change to the HKG-SFO-YYC part, and the ticket is reissued, am I still covered under the waiver for future changes, or have I blown it because my ticket will now be dated after Feb 12?

The waiver text says "original" purchase date, and so far I haven't heard any reports of UA trying anything different. The point of having an effectivity date on the waiver is to keep people from booking a speculative ticket and then changing it to something more to their liking under the terms of the waiver (e.g., there's a P fare on tomorrow's flight, but the actual travel date they want is only available in J -- buy the P fare and then call to change the date). That's hardly a consideration here.

That said, if you're planning to try to hop around flights to maximize your upgrade chances, I could see an agent refusing to help. But if you're just worried that you'll need to move it from April to May because things still look bad for travel in April, I suspect you'd be fine.


Originally Posted by econ (Post 32135151)
Or AS, or DL. Still nothing from UA.

DL's seems like a bad joke. Change fees waived... once... on international trips only? However, I agree that UA will almost certainly follow suit with a general waiver of some kind for new purchases. They're in danger of losing too much business.

Antonio8069 Mar 3, 20 2:30 am

coronavirus waiver query
 
I would appreciate hearing (PM me) from any FTs who have had been successful in getting UA to waive its int'l flight change rule due to CV?
We are in central Europe, and getting worried about the paucity of space from here to North America. The change fees keep going up as the # of cases spreads. First, it was Italy, now Germany and perhaps Austria?
IMO, UA's waivers are backward looking - not forward thinking, As a result, FTs are making their own changes in advance of the increase in no. of cases.

RNE Mar 3, 20 4:01 am


Originally Posted by yw379 (Post 32133027)
I am on the same boat! 4/29 to FCO and 5/10 return from MXP.

That boat for us is in early May.

I'm not looking for a change waiver, though. I'm waiting for UA to cancel the flight(s) and refund me. TSMRSRNE now refuses to go to Italy anytime this year. :(

RNE, worried also about our Costa del Sol trip in September.

halls120 Mar 3, 20 7:42 am

I almost wish I was already retired. I've never seen this kind of business saver availability.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:58 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.