FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

Quibert Feb 29, 20 8:02 am

Originally Posted by ssb2045 (Post 32125468)
I was on UA 28 SIN-SFO on 3/11 connecting in SFO to EWR with an overnight layover on purpose, and was automatically rebooked on UA 2 the next morning, with a 1h30 connection to UA 535. I'd taken the daytime SIN-LAX flight last year, and it's brutal - just when your body gets ready to go to sleep, the lights come on for landing in California. When I called, the agent tried to rebook me on SQ to SFO the same night, and when that wasn't allowed, I asked for SIN-NRT-JFK under UA flight numbers operated by NH. Finally she told me that I had to take UA 2 either on the 11th or 12th because there was the option of a United operated flight available, but was able to rebook me for a later flight to EWR on the 752 instead of the tight connection to the 77A...of course, I have no status except the Chase CC and am flying with a K class ticket, so YMMV if you're elite or in J.

i was on a J fare and have Gold status, after this run I will be platinum for the year already. My original onward from SFO was ORD so when I called in I was able to get on the SIN-HND, HND-ORD flights both operated by ANA. I get in about 7 hours later than originally planned but overall they were very helpful. I tried to get the SQ flight to EWR then onward to my original destination skipping ORD altogether which would have gotten me in 4 hours later than originally planned, but they said they weren't able to get a J seat on that flight.

fumje Feb 29, 20 8:41 am

What's up with 5 March?

I'm curious what's going on with 5 March flights. Is that the day they'd generally start reshuffling tail assignments to prepare for the 8 March cancellations?

Last night all the 5Mar SFO/SIN flights were gone, but now UA28 SIN-SFO and UA29 SFO-SIN have been restored (in contrast to cancelling 28,29 after 8 March). 5Mar UA838 NRT-SFO is also gone (along with 4Mar UA837 SFO-NRT).

Poking around on other days (4Mar, 6Mar, 7Mar) it looks like otherwise normal service in advance of the suspensions.

Infinite1K Feb 29, 20 9:16 am

Also UA 837 has all of economy zero-ed out on March 14 :confused:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...148ba1e544.png

Quibert Feb 29, 20 9:37 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 32126064)
I'm curious what's going on with 5 March flights. Is that the day they'd generally start reshuffling tail assignments to prepare for the 8 March cancellation?

Yes, my understanding, which may not be accurate, is they lock plane assignments in 60ish hours prior to departure so the 5th would make sense to me. Another member posted this information in the 777-300ER thread as the time to look if you were flying the ORD-NRT route to find out if you had new Polaris or the old 8 across configuration.

Away from YYZ Feb 29, 20 9:44 am

Questions...

1) The latest news about UA cancelling/reduction service to Tokyo, but why only listed NRT and not HND?

2) My friend booked a UA stock ticket, will be flying to HND via ORD on NH metal (UA7911) on Mar 3, return on Mar 13 from HND to LAX on NH metal (UA8324). What are the chances to call UA to have it rescheduled and waive the change fee? Or pretty much SOL?

kingjacobs Feb 29, 20 9:55 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 32120941)
Best to call. If agent says, "no", wait.

Thanks for this, I called up today and the agent was able to cancel the award tickets JFK-SIN on TK with no redeposit fee.

PsiFighter37 Feb 29, 20 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Away from YYZ (Post 32126213)
Questions...

1) The latest news about UA cancelling/reduction service to Tokyo, but why only listed NRT and not HND?

2) My friend booked a UA stock ticket, will be flying to HND via ORD on NH metal (UA7911) on Mar 3, return on Mar 13 from HND to LAX on NH metal (UA8324). What are the chances to call UA to have it rescheduled and waive the change fee? Or pretty much SOL?

I imagine that UA is hoping the situation is resolved by the time they start flying to HND. Suspending ORD/IAD-NRT in particular all the way until their last dates is easy. End of March is also the beginning of prime cherry blossom season in Japan, so probably hoping they cna still pick up some ancillary leisure traffic from that.

paperwastage Feb 29, 20 10:10 am

ExpertFlyer has the schedule changes under FlightAvailability, but not FlightTimetables

https://www.unitedcargo.com/company/...rticle_id=5205

EWR-NRT, reduced frequency March 28-April 24
EWR-NRT (UA79) goes from daily to 5x weekly M/W/Th/F/Sa
NRT-EWR (UA78) goes from daily to 5x weekly Su/T/Th/F/Sa

SFO-KIX, reduced frequency March 28-April 24
SFO-KIX (UA35) goes from daily to 5x weekly M/W/Th/F/Sa
KIX-SFO (UA34) goes from daily to 5x weekly Su/T/Th/F/Sa

SFO-SIN, reduced from 2x daily to 1x daily March 8-April 24
SFO-SIN UA29 (10am-8pm) is gone, UA1 remains (11pm-8am)
SIN-SFO UA28 (10pm-8:45pm) is gone, UA2 remains (10am-8am)

SFO-ICN reduced from 1x daily in March and 12x weekly in April, to 3x weekly for period March 8-April 30
SFO-ICN (UA893) goes to 3x weekly Su/W/F
ICN-SFO (UA892) goes to 3x weekly M/Th/Sa

Suspended
LAX-NRT (UA32/UA33) March 8-April 24
IAH-NRT (UA7/UA6) March 8-April 24
ORD-NRT (UA881/UA882) March 8-March 27 (then becomes ORD-HND now)

HND schedule not affected

HNL-NRT (UA802/UA803) downgauged from 772 to 788 for April (??March 28-April 24??)
SFO-TPE (UA871/872) downgauged from 77W to 789 for March and April (not covered in UA Cargo website, but reflected on EF)

Exleftseat Feb 29, 20 11:40 am

How come that DEN-NRT is not affected? Or did I ( as always ) miss something? I would have thought that they would have suspended DEN rather than the LAX flights.

PsiFighter37 Feb 29, 20 11:43 am

First death in the U.S. from coronavirus today. I imagine some sort of blanket travel waiver has to be in short order soon.

britNY Feb 29, 20 11:45 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 32126550)
First death in the U.S. from coronavirus today. I imagine some sort of blanket travel waiver has to be in short order soon.

waiver yes, ban I hope not. That will solve nothing and there’s little point at this juncture. Likely the virus is already all over the US

Quibert Feb 29, 20 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Exleftseat (Post 32126545)
How come that DEN-NRT is not affected? Or did I ( as always ) miss something? I would have thought that they would have suspended DEN rather than the LAX flights.

This ​​is pure speculation on my part, but DEN is a bigger hub for them than LAX. Also ORD and LAX are still serviced via codeshare with ANA, I think, so they are probably able to maximize revenue and options this way.

restlessinRNO Feb 29, 20 12:01 pm

I read previous FT posts re flight cancellations. I then phoned 1K line this morning to cancel a flight RNO-SFO-TPE in March. Call was answered promptly, and there were no problems cancelling flight for a full refund, in the form of a travel credit valid for future flight one year. This was a R fare upgraded to PZ with PP, and PP were promptly refunded too. I was very happy and impressed with UA customer service, as travel waiver does not officially include TPE (yet).

Loads are very low on UA871 SFO-TPE these days. I note UA will be switching from daily B777-300ER to B787-9. They could go to 3 X a week and still have empty seats. :)

WineCountryUA Feb 29, 20 12:07 pm

How come that DEN-NRT is not affected? Or did I ( as always ) miss something? ...

UA is reducing capability, so looked at the loads, the easy of rerouting those still booked (LAX-SFO, with lots of capacity / frequency is an easy re-accommodation), ... and other factors we may not think of.

I would have thought that they would have suspended DEN rather than the LAX flights.

Why?

Kacee Feb 29, 20 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO (Post 32126598)
there were no problems cancelling flight for a full refund, in the form of a travel credit valid for future flight one year.

Just to be clear, that's a change fee waiver, not a refund. Unless UA gives your money back, it's not a refund.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 32126550)

I don't follow that reasoning.