FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

narvik Jan 24, 20 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31990805)
...but if it's not worth the change fee to avoid a situation, you're probably not that worried about said situation.

THAT is probably the BEST observation in this thread!

"I am worried about flying somewhere because of this, that or the other, and would like to cancel (or re-route) my entire trip because of it....but I am not worried enough to fork out a few hundred bucks."
???

Kmxu Jan 24, 20 4:09 pm

AA and DL have waivers for PVG and PEK

United is still waiting to issue a waiver for PEK and PVG. Here is a part of the article appearing at USA Today.
American has two waivers, one covering Wuhan and one covering Shanghai and Beijing, China, two major destinations. For Wuhan trips scheduled through March 31, travelers can request a refund even if they are holding nonrefundable tickets. For Beijing and Shanghai, travelers with tickets through Jan. 31 can change or postpone their trip without the usual penalties.

United's waiver covers travelers with tickets through March 29 and allows refunds.

Delta on Friday issued a waiver that covers two major destinations in China, Shanghai and Beijing. Travelers booked on flights to or from those cities through Jan. 31 can change their flights to as late as February without the usual penalties. Travelers who want to cancel their trip are eligible for a voucher in the amount of their ticket, though a change fee will apply when using it.

STS-134 Jan 24, 20 5:16 pm

Travel waiver for PEK/PVG/CTU for original departures between 1/24 and 2/7 if flight purchased before 1/23 https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l/notices.html

Apparently no refunds, but travelers can reschedule in originally ticketed cabin up until Feb. 7 with no penalty or fare difference. For travel after Feb. 7, fare difference applies but change fees waived. Travel must be completed 1 year from original ticket issue date.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...cb94041c24.png

mike2003242 Jan 24, 20 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 31990861)
THAT is probably the BEST observation in this thread!

"I am worried about flying somewhere because of this, that or the other, and would like to cancel (or re-route) my entire trip because of it....but I am not worried enough to fork out a few hundred bucks."
???

A family of four could be on the hook for over $1,000 on change fees. This could effectively cause them to go ahead and cancel their vacation instead of going and losing the majority of their flight tickets. Extremely short sighted from UA.

findark Jan 24, 20 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by mike2003242 (Post 31991648)
A family of four could be on the hook for over $1,000 on change fees. This could effectively cause them to go ahead and cancel their vacation instead of going and losing the majority of their flight tickets. Extremely short sighted from UA.

I mean.. on the one hand I do support having a waiver, but on the other if you have a serious concern about being trapped in a pandemic-ridden Chinese city for an interminable length of time and possibly dying there, is $1,000 of change fees really your biggest concern here?

Kmxu Jan 24, 20 7:32 pm

The change fees are $150 per person.

I did call twice for changing ticket today. The original flight was upgraded to Polaris, but both agentsí supervisors said that I could not keep the upgrade. I could only booked into original class of service. So, I had no choice on this unless I found PZ spaces.

WineCountryUA Jan 24, 20 7:35 pm

Change fees are now waived for WUH/PEK/CTU/PVG

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 31991842)
....The original flight was upgraded to Polaris, but both agents’ supervisors said that I could not keep the upgrade. I could only booked into original class of service. ....

Yes, that is the standard process for changes (not caused by UA)

MSPeconomist Jan 24, 20 7:35 pm

The change fees are $150 per person.

I did call twice for changing ticket today. The original flight was upgraded to Polaris, but both agentsí supervisors said that I could not keep the upgrade. I could only booked into original class of service. So, I had no choice on this unless I found PZ spaces.

It depends on your fare rules. Some tickets may have a $150 change fee, but it's (much) more on many international fares.

luckydog11 Jan 24, 20 7:44 pm

I have a flight leaving 1/28 to PEK returning 2/12 When I change it on UA, the "change fee" is waived but the fare difference shows up. Is this a programming error or is it because my return date is after 2/7 ? The flight was booked last September. The departure city and destination PEK are the same as originally booked.
The way I read this is that I can pick any flight in the same class at no charge with same departure and arriving city correct ?

Kmxu Jan 24, 20 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by luckydog11 (Post 31991871)
I have a flight leaving 1/28 to PEK returning 2/12 When I change it on UA, the "change fee" is waived but the fare difference shows up. Is this a programming error or is it because my return date is after 2/7 ? The flight was booked last September. The departure city and destination PEK are the same as originally booked.
The way I read this is that I can pick any flight in the same class at no charge with same departure and arriving city correct ?

Just call and talk to an agent. Agent may help you more than the website can.

mike2003242 Jan 24, 20 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31991836)
I mean.. on the one hand I do support having a waiver, but on the other if you have a serious concern about being trapped in a pandemic-ridden Chinese city for an interminable length of time and possibly dying there, is $1,000 of change fees really your biggest concern here?

im supposed to go the Shanghai with my dad the end of February and even if I lost all my ticket, if the situation is dire I wouldnt go. I'm not gonna risk it. Its not a great look that UA isnt being more flexible.

WineCountryUA Jan 24, 20 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by mike2003242 (Post 31991986)
im supposed to go the Shanghai with my dad the end of February and even if I lost all my ticket, if the situation is dire I wouldnt go. I'm not gonna risk it. Its not a great look that UA isnt being more flexible.

If the situation is dire in a few weeks, I would expect UA to extend the present PVG waiver. For now the next 2 weeks are covered.

Repooc17 Jan 24, 20 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by mike2003242 (Post 31991986)

Uh? The change fee and fare difference are both being waived for travels in the next two weeks. Things could certainly change between now and then. Are you asking UA to extend it to the end of February? EOS? Any date would be arbitrary; February 7 can be updated at at later time in accordance with the latest development.

Act accordingly. There are still a whole month plus before your scheduled travel date.

Flying Machine Jan 24, 20 9:42 pm

I have an interesting itinerary at the end of February, so keeping my eyes on this thread. I have a really good fare, will raise the issue later to see how things play out in the next week or so

jsloan Jan 24, 20 11:20 pm

The change fee is $120 on most Asia routes (change fees, since they have zero to do with UA's costs, are market-driven; Asia is a more competitive market than the domestic US). And the change fee, if charged, wouldn't need to be paid until the tickets were reissued. So, if money were too tight to afford the change fees now, cancel the trip and pay the change fees in a couple of months.

I'm glad that UA offered a waiver; I think its as the right thing to do. I'm confident that they'll extend it if conditions persist. But I also think that people should know what they're buying, and if they're buying a discounted plane ticket with a change fee, they should know that there may be conditions where the fee is applicable. And that's especially true when the change is being made out of an abundance of caution (e.g., they have some cases of this virus in the Philippines -- or Chicago -- so I want to cancel my trip there).

The original flight was upgraded to Polaris, but both agentsí supervisors said that I could not keep the upgrade. I could only booked into original class of service. So, I had no choice on this unless I found PZ spaces.

That's unfortunate. :(

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31991849)
Yes, that is the standard process for changes (not caused by UA)

Agreed, but given the situation, I'd hope that they could make an exception.