FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

DELee Feb 27, 20 4:38 pm


Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 32120627)
My daughter has a Study Abroad trip to Japan and the University has now cancelled all travel to Japan (along with Italy, China, S. Korea) and re-planned to Peru. United has no current waiver to Japan, though as noted, they do for other Level 2 countries.

If I change her flight and eat the change fee, would they refund the fee later? Or do I need to wait to see if Japan is added and risk price increases? There are 25 students that will be making the change, so I suspect fare buckets will empty quickly.,

Wait. Or call as ctownflyer suggests.

David

CPRich Feb 27, 20 4:46 pm

I've sent a DM, and email, and am on my third Chat session now after getting disconnected twice....

I'd like to get something in writing/typing.

From chat:


As of now we only have travel waivers for flights coming to or from
Seoul-Incheon, KR (ICN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Beijing (PEK)
Chengdu (CTU)
Shanghai (PVG)
Wuhan (WUH)


For other countries affected by Corona Virus travel issues we offer an one time exception for you to change your flight and the change fee will be waive. Only additional fare difference will apply.
So it looks like no refund, but a waived change fee.

It also looks they don't know there's a waiver to Italy....


Do I keep an airline credit if the flight is cheaper?

fwiw, email is useless

We want to make sure you get the best service possible, and since your email concerns a current or future flight the best resource for you is going to be united.com .

fumje Feb 27, 20 4:52 pm


Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 32120690)
So it looks like no refund, but a waived change fee.

It also looks they don't know there's a waiver to Italy....

Well, that did happen in the last hour or so. :o

ctownflyer Feb 27, 20 5:20 pm


Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 32120680)
I've sent a DM, and email, and am on my third Chat session now after getting disconnected twice....

I'd like to get something in writing/typing.

From chat:



So it looks like no refund, but a waived change fee.

It also looks they don't know there's a waiver to Italy....


Do I keep an airline credit if the flight is cheaper?

fwiw, email is useless

If you want to get anywhere, call. And ask for a supervisor if needed.

britNY Feb 27, 20 5:21 pm


Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 32120780)
If you want to get anywhere, call. And ask for a supervisor if needed.

agreed, United have been nothing but helpful over this, although you may be in the phone a while!

CPRich Feb 27, 20 5:23 pm


Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 32120780)
If you want to get anywhere, call. And ask for a supervisor if needed.

Well, chat did get me the answer....

east_west Feb 27, 20 5:54 pm

I'm curious what the motivation is, from UA's perspective, to continue to issue these waivers. At the current rate other parts of Europe will be in Italy's situation in the next week or two, and hotspots in the USA may start to pop up. Hypothetically, would UA issue a waiver for SFO/SMF/SJC if Northern CA had a major outbreak?

CPRich Feb 27, 20 6:19 pm

Well that was a pleasant change from my usual dealings with AA . Reminds me of my old US days as a CP.

One call, 19 minutes, flight changed, change fee waived, voucher for the difference on the way. Hopefully the other 22 kids on the trip can do the same - online said only 1 ticket at that price when I was booking. And not many seats are showing available.

kingjacobs Feb 27, 20 6:31 pm


Originally Posted by PaulMCO (Post 32116388)
I was very surprised today when I saw both my tickets were cancelled with a full refund. United did not have to do this as the second ticket was at the end of the cruise SFO to MCO..
I slam United many times. This time they deserve a shout for great Customer Service.

I'm trying to do a similar thing for an award ticket now for travel to singapore in march.

Do you think its best to cancel and submit a refund or call agent and attempt to do it at once?

fumje Feb 27, 20 6:32 pm


Originally Posted by kingjacobs (Post 32120937)
I'm trying to do a similar thing for an award ticket now for travel to singapore in march.

Do you think its best to cancel and submit a refund or call agent and attempt to do it at once?

Best to call. If agent says, "no", wait.

jackkyxu Feb 27, 20 8:27 pm


Originally Posted by britNY (Post 32120789)
agreed, United have been nothing but helpful over this, although you may be in the phone a while!


I can not say any compliment better for UA this time during the virus crisis, open multiple ZN seats for my I reservation

username Feb 27, 20 11:18 pm


Originally Posted by east_west (Post 32120860)
I'm curious what the motivation is, from UA's perspective, to continue to issue these waivers. At the current rate other parts of Europe will be in Italy's situation in the next week or two, and hotspots in the USA may start to pop up. Hypothetically, would UA issue a waiver for SFO/SMF/SJC if Northern CA had a major outbreak?

I can think many reasons ranging from trying to be customer-friendly to reduce the chance of infected people on UA's planes.

Jetblue is actually pretty smart - it is "suspending change and cancel fees for all new flight bookings made between February 27, 2020 and March 11, 2020 for travel through June 1, 2020..." which encourages people to book without worrying about waivers if the situation gets worse.

In a way, it is good that the rest of the world finally woke up this week and realize this is a worldwide problem. Now I just hope people take it seriously - personal hygiene, follow rules, etc. The more aware and cautious people are, the quicker this thing can get under control.

TravellingMan Feb 28, 20 5:48 am


Originally Posted by username (Post 32121524)
Jetblue is actually pretty smart - it is "suspending change and cancel fees for all new flight bookings made between February 27, 2020 and March 11, 2020 for travel through June 1, 2020..." which encourages people to book without worrying about waivers if the situation gets worse.

They have one heckuva revenue management team at JetBlue. Very smart of them to collect the cash which would otherwise be lost in people not buying tickets and convert it into JetBlue credits when people change their minds. I think the breakage in people using all their JetBlue credits on time is much lower than the loss of revenue via change fees.

Now United could have pulled this off to ensure money keeps coming in.

IAHMCI Feb 28, 20 6:29 am

Just found this on the United AFA web site.China and Hong Kong:

Suspension of service between the U.S. hubs and Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai and Hong Kong through April 30, 2020.

New reductions across Asia:

United will reduce capacity to Tokyo-Narita, Osaka, Singapore, Seoul and Taipei as follows:
  1. Suspension of LAX NRT Service, effective March 8 April 24
  2. Suspension of IAH NRT Service, effective March 8 April 24
  3. Suspension of ORD NRT Service, effective March 8 March 27. March 28 service to Haneda (HND) will be inaugurated
  4. Haneda schedule is not affected (daily SFO-HND and, starting March 28, daily service to ORD, LAX, IAD and EWR)
  5. Reduction in frequency of EWR NRT to five (5) times per week for period from March 28 April 24
  6. HNL NRT will operate using a 787-8, downgauged from a 777-200, March 28 April 24
  7. SFO-Osaka which was expected to operate daily, will operate five (5) times weekly for period from March 28-April 24
  8. SFO- Singapore reduction to one flight daily for period from March 8-April 24. This represents a reduction of one daily flight.
  9. SFO-Seoul, South Korea reduction to three (3) times weekly for period from March 8-April 30. This is a reduction from a daily operation for March and a twelve times per week operation that was planned for April.
  10. SFO-Taipei will operate using a 787-9 aircraft, downgauged from a Boeing 777-300, for March and April

rankourabu Feb 28, 20 6:34 am


Originally Posted by IAHMCI (Post 32122298)
SFO- Singapore reduction to one flight daily for period from March 8-April 24. This represents a reduction of one daily flight.

I think this was the easiest one to predict.....


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:06 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.