FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

britNY Feb 26, 20 10:21 am

MNL - HKG - EWR already rerouted via NRT once and now thatís looking a bad bet

Other half works in healthcare and told that even a plane change in Tokyo means 14 days in self quarantine back in the US.

running our of options. Donít want to cancel MNL trip as itís an important family occasion but how else can I get home ? Not fancying the GUM-HNL route one bit.

This all assumes that NRT goes under waiver

paperwastage Feb 26, 20 10:41 am

Originally Posted by britNY (Post 32115429)
MNL - HKG - EWR already rerouted via NRT once and now that’s looking a bad bet

Other half works in healthcare and told that even a plane change in Tokyo means 14 days in self quarantine back in the US.

running our of options. Don’t want to cancel MNL trip as it’s an important family occasion but how else can I get home ? Not fancying the GUM-HNL route one bit.

This is a valid routing, only if you are comfortable with going thru SIN vs NRT, able to find availability, and UA willing to rebook you+waive change. Waiving change is likely easiest (just refer to your original HKG route waiver)

Mnl-sin on jetstar, sin-sfo UA

Otherwise, have fun with island hopper or shorter direct gum-hnl

Kmxu Feb 26, 20 11:00 am

running our of options. Donít want to cancel MNL trip as itís an important family occasion but how else can I get home ? Not fancying the GUM-HNL route one bit.

Why not MNL-GUM-HNL-EWR on UA metal? The trip is longer with an extra stop. UA will be happy to put you on its own metal. You can take a stopover at HNL. If not, add another stop at SFO/LAX/DEN/IAH.
Good luck.

Zoltar Feb 26, 20 11:39 am

I would do MNL-GUM-HNL-EWR personally. You don't want to end up in quarantine. Other option may be to go MNL-BKK-VIE-NYC (if they will put you on Austrian) or MNL-TPE-NYC (if they will put you on BR).

jsloan Feb 26, 20 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Zoltar (Post 32115709)
I would do MNL-GUM-HNL-EWR personally. You don't want to end up in quarantine. Other option may be to go MNL-BKK-VIE-NYC (if they will put you on Austrian) or MNL-TPE-NYC (if they will put you on BR).

There are few (no?) positive reports of being rebooked onto non-UA/NH-operated flights under the waiver when UA/NH-operated flights are available. I suspect this would be extremely difficult to get approved without paying a massive fare difference.

PaulMCO Feb 26, 20 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMCO (Post 32100341)
Was scheduled on a cruise beginning from Singapore in May. Cruise line has cancelled all cruises in Asia through June. So have to cancel our Polaris booking MIA-SIN (via Tokyo). Change fee is $450 (yikes) but big issue is tickets were booked in June 2019. UA agent said no waiver and no refund, so I will plead with 1Kvoice to see if anything can be done, based on the Unplanned Event rules. Doubtful...

My Company has also banned travel to the region Korea through Singapore, including personal travel - so I added this to the request with documentation.

If not will cancel at last minute and wait and see if UA makes changes/cancels or same with NH as we connect through Tokyo.

I was very surprised today when I saw both my tickets were cancelled with a full refund. United did not have to do this as the second ticket was at the end of the cruise SFO to MCO..
I slam United many times. This time they deserve a shout for great Customer Service.

MCIUnitedGuy Feb 26, 20 2:57 pm

My other half works for a major academic medical institution. They sent out an email last night cancelling all business travel to Italy and "ask"ing all employees to defer personal travel to Italy or be subject to quarantine on return. Every employee traveling outside of North and South America is subject to health screening on return. And we're scheduled to leave for Rome in 13 days.... could really really use an Italy waiver. I guess since we're flying over on a one way award we could just get off at the gateway we're flying into and go somewhere else, but I generally like to play by the rules.

npei Feb 26, 20 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by MCIUnitedGuy (Post 32116393)
My other half works for a major academic medical institution. They sent out an email last night cancelling all business travel to Italy and "ask"ing all employees to defer personal travel to Italy or be subject to quarantine on return. Every employee traveling outside of North and South America is subject to health screening on return. And we're scheduled to leave for Rome in 13 days.... could really really use an Italy waiver. I guess since we're flying over on a one way award we could just get off at the gateway we're flying into and go somewhere else, but I generally like to play by the rules.

I believe you can get rescheduled and/or refund request by end of next week from UA. Itís likely to emulate Delta. Delta just announced travel waivers to Italy cities including Bologna, Milan, Venice and Turin through March 15 to match its partners at Air France. Itís a question of when coronavirus spreads to Southern Italy, and Rome is easily connected via high speed train or airplane within Italy.

britNY Feb 26, 20 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32115768)
There are few (no?) positive reports of being rebooked onto non-UA/NH-operated flights under the waiver when UA/NH-operated flights are available. I suspect this would be extremely difficult to get approved without paying a massive fare difference.

wow! so they put us on Turkish via IST to JFK. Can barely believe. They also tried to get us on SQ direct to EWR but no J availability for our date. Hear Turkish are excellent.

jsloan Feb 26, 20 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by britNY (Post 32116736)
wow! so they put us on Turkish via IST to JFK. Can barely believe. They also tried to get us on SQ direct to EWR but no J availability for our date. Hear Turkish are excellent.

Well, thatís one! :tu:

gusd Feb 27, 20 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Zoltar (Post 32112583)
Delta has added Italy to their waiver list... Still nothing from UA.

Waiver for Italy now added.

GBadger Feb 27, 20 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by gusd (Post 32120416)
Waiver for Italy now added.

I don't understand why there is a waiver for Italy, but not Japan. Both are at alert level 2 on the CDC website. As someone who is scheduled to fly to Japan on Saturday but isn't going, it would be nice if United also issued a Japan waiver.

CPRich Feb 27, 20 4:22 pm

My daughter has a Study Abroad trip to Japan and the University has now cancelled all travel to Japan (along with Italy, China, S. Korea) and re-planned to Peru. United has no current waiver to Japan, though as noted, they do for other Level 2 countries.

If I change her flight and eat the change fee, would they refund the fee later? Or do I need to wait to see if Japan is added and risk price increases? There are 25 students that will be making the change, so I suspect fare buckets will empty quickly.,

They even have a waiver/refund for Hong Kong, which is CDC Level 1, but not Japan, Level 2. Pretty ridiculous.

Kmxu Feb 27, 20 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger (Post 32120614)
I don't understand why there is a waiver for Italy, but not Japan. Both are at alert level 2 on the CDC website. As someone who is scheduled to fly to Japan on Saturday but isn't going, it would be nice if United also issued a Japan waiver.

Has DL issued a waiver for Japan yet? There is a delay of 1-3 days in issuing waiver by UA. So, watch DL waiver first. Lol.

ctownflyer Feb 27, 20 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 32120627)
My daughter has a Study Abroad trip to Japan and the University has now cancelled all travel to Japan (along with Italy, China, S. Korea) and re-planned to Peru. United has no current waiver to Japan, though as noted, they do for other Level 2 countries.

If I change her flight and eat the change fee, would they refund the fee later? Or do I need to wait to see if Japan is added and risk price increases? There are 25 students that will be making the change, so I suspect fare buckets will empty quickly.,

Did you try calling and explaining the situation to UA?