FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

Kacee Feb 17, 20 6:20 am

Originally Posted by kb1992 (Post 32081010)
Re-accommodate? UA has no obligation.

If *A carriers make schedule changes or cancel your flight, you either change to another flights or get miles back.

Hassle, maybe.

Have you read all the posts in this forum from stranded passengers booked on separate tickets demanding that UA help them? It's a sensible decision. Booking China awards at this point would just create headache for themselves, their customers, and their partners.

kb1992 Feb 17, 20 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32081304)
Have you read all the posts in this forum from stranded passengers booked on separate tickets demanding that UA help them? It's a sensible decision. Booking China awards at this point would just create headache for themselves, their customers, and their partners.

Not totally.

You can book China awards as a single ticket, not necessarily separate tickets. Multiple destination search would give you that.

So UA does allow you to book China-US awards.

MBS MillionMiler Feb 17, 20 9:30 am

I complained above about not being able to book new dates online without having to call...But I literally had perhaps one of the easiest 'schedule change' calls I've ever had...

Me: "I have a China ticket in April that is now off the schedule. Here's my PNR."
Agent: <click click click> for 20 seconds, "Do you want to revise or refund?
Me: "Revise, I want flight UAXXX on June XX on the outbound. On the return I want to add a flight, UAXXX connecting to UAXXX on June XX."
--30 seconds, maybe 1 minute later--
Agent: "You're all set. I'll get it reissued and sent over. Seats?"
Me: "Save the trouble, I'll pick them online later".
Agent: "Thanks for calling!"
...Clock on my phone said the entire call, including choosing my option was under 3 minutes.

(New flights would have cost over $2,000 more versus what my 'P' fare was, about $2,700 versus $4,800. Guessing the 'summer rush' and perhaps the demand for minimal flights and those that REALLY need to go in the summer, perhaps they're feeling they'll pay a premium?!?!?!?)

Kmxu Feb 18, 20 5:28 pm

“Even exchange” is the key word after cancellation

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 32013796)
Well..after 45 minutes on Skype calling into United (I’m traveling on business to Spain right now) I had some time this evening and decided to call in. I asked for the NRT PEK leg on the outbound to be omitted. Then asked on the same date as the original PEK ORD was scheduled on the 27th I asked if I could fly NRT LAX IAH EZE instead. I mentioned I’d like to do this under the waiver and Keep the price of the ticket the same. The agent goes we can do that thank you for calling in with a solution that always helps. Because there was an ANA flight on the original record she couldn’t re-issue the ticket, had to call a lead, who said the change fee will be waived but there is a fare difference and can I hold while they call rates. I said I prefer her not as I wanted it to be an even exchange and could she just reinstate the ticket to the original form. Then I hear some silence then aside, the agent says oh gosh I can’t rebook it the space is no longer there on one of my flights she goes now I need to call in and have them overbooked the flight

when she speaks to the new lead agent to reinstate the original ticket she says you know this agent agreed with me and there shouldn’t be any fare difference and we could handle it as an even exchange and would you like your proposed itinerary. I say yes, she goes OK let me work with them. She’s on hold for a while so then I take a look at my reservation on my iPhone. Five minutes later she gets on the line and she goes were you just in the reservation? I say yes, she goes oh these are very hard to re-processAnd the lead got an error on the ticket. I said I’ll stay out of the reservation you can go ahead and do your thing. 10 minutes later she comes back all done I assign some seats email the receipt to myself and see that everything is booked correctly
At the end she goes well the first person must’ve been confused because there shouldn’t be a fair change and the second lead agreed with me and processed it. She told me thanks for being 1 million miler and I appreciate your patience. I wished her a good night and I’m sitting here somewhat surprised and happy. Thought these data points will help some others

I had a cancelled itinerary. It took 39 min today to reticket new flights in June (original booking for late this month and cancelled by UA). I initially told a 1K agent that this trip was cancelled under a travel waiver. He told me that the new price was over $4000. Then, he told me to delay the return day by one day and lower the fare to about $1000. Finally, I told him about “even exchange” and I should not pay any fare difference under the waiver because I only changed the travel dates.
I do not know why UA 1K was so inflexible and needed a supervisor or helper to make such a simple change.

cesco.g Feb 20, 20 11:54 am

US travel advisory issued. Might as well result in severe schedule cuts to Japan flights as well.

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/c...5e7ff03a8718d6

jsloan Feb 20, 20 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 32094194)
US travel advisory issued. Might as well result in severe schedule cuts to Japan flights as well.

It's a level 1, "don't do foolish things" advisory. In and of itself, I don't see any reasons that it would affect Japan flights. (Compare to the level 4, "do not travel" advisory for China).

Long Zhiren Feb 20, 20 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32094308)
It's a level 1, "don't do foolish things" advisory. In and of itself, I don't see any reasons that it would affect Japan flights. (Compare to the level 4, "do not travel" advisory for China).

The suspensions/waivers are going to hit airline revenues a bit. I wonder if this will be a replay of post-9/11 when airlines extended everybody's status for a little while.

Kacee Feb 20, 20 12:28 pm

Same advisory also just issued for Hong Kong. Demand to HKG had already dropped precipitously, despite the previous absence of an advisory. So not sure the advisory itself will really be material. That said, Japan could have a problem with its handling of the Diamond Princess passengers. I'll note as well that JL was still handing out hot towels on Tuesday, a practice that most of the Asian carriers have ceased (CX gives sanitizing wipes instead).

uastarflyer Feb 20, 20 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren (Post 32094328)
The suspensions/waivers are going to hit airline revenues a bit. I wonder if this will be a replay of post-9/11 when airlines extended everybody's status for a little while.

Since I have no chance to Re qual 1K besides spending $15-$18k on accelerator, I would welcome this

1kBill Feb 20, 20 7:49 pm

My boss and I just cancelled travel to Korea for next week. I was supposed to leave tomorrow, he to join me during the week. Perhaps an overreaction, but neither one of us wants to end up "quarantined" someplace far from home or worse. 1K agent told me that they had not heard of any expansions of travel waivers.

Kmxu Feb 20, 20 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by 1kBill (Post 32095594)
My boss and I just cancelled travel to Korea for next week. I was supposed to leave tomorrow, he to join me during the week. Perhaps an overreaction, but neither one of us wants to end up "quarantined" someplace far from home or worse. 1K agent told me that they had not heard of any expansions of travel waivers.

There was a big spike of new cases (about 50) in a hospital in South Korea. Singapore, Japan and South Korea have most cases outside of China. UA is probably more concerned with Singapore among the three countries, I guess!

Repooc17 Feb 20, 20 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 32094194)

As of this posting, there are currently 112 active level 1 advisories, more than half the world's countries (no matter how they are counted) - https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...visories.html/

Canada is on the list; lots of countries in Europe, Oceania. Wait, where is the US? ;)

Japan has been at level 1 per the US Dept of State since December 2018: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

npei Feb 21, 20 2:56 am

Originally Posted by 1kBill (Post 32095594)

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 32095645)
There was a big spike of new cases (about 50) in a hospital in South Korea. Singapore, Japan and South Korea have most cases outside of China. UA is probably more concerned with Singapore among the three countries, I guess!

Korea is suddenly risky for quarantine, regardless of travel waiver because large increase in number of cases in last 3 days. This suggest failure to contain community outbreaks.
https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/art...newsIdx=283854
Feb 21 edition of Korea Times lead with:
The coronavirus infection here reached "an epidemic proportion" Friday as 100 people were confirmed to have contracted the highly-contagious virus, raising the total to 204, according to government officials.

My other trip to Taipei for end of March “Smart City Taipei” tradeshow now needs reschedule because it’s been pushed to July 1. Even though Taiwan has managed to control number of cases well, the CDC list Taiwan as high risk for more cases because of inevitable community outbreaks. Estimated 7400+ passengers flew from Wuhan to Taiwan between Dec 30-Jan 23, and statistical probability of incubation for new affected cases via community outbreaks is very high. So even though US State Dept list Taiwan travel advisory as Level 1 only (vs Level 4 for China), there must have been immediate perceptible number of attendee / company cancellations, to force event organizer to push event to July 1.

Long Zhiren Feb 21, 20 9:21 am

FYI. On arrival in FLR from MAD last week, Italian CBP was checking every arriving passenger's temperature.

From observing continued abundant practices in coughing and sneezing without covering the mouth, on three continents in the last weeks, nobody seems to be changing bad hygiene yet.

GBadger Feb 21, 20 9:50 am

Starting to look like Japan may be hit

I was supposed to travel to Japan the first week of March for a larger meeting, which was just cancelled by the organizers. Apparently Tokyo and Osaka are cancelling all "large" public gatherings through mid-March (https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronav...gs-11582282621).

As of yet, I don't believe that there is any sort of waiver for travel to Japan, but I have roundtrip travel booked that I will need to cancel in the next 7 days or so.

Questions for the group:
- Is there any reason to cancel sooner rather than later, or am I right to think the best course of action is to wait and hope that UA issues a Japan waiver? Or should I call United now, explain the situation and see whether I get a sympathetic agent?
- If a waiver is issued, is there any chance I could get the 80 PlusPoints back that have been withdrawn for my account for Polaris upgrades (SFO-NRT and NRT-EWR)?