Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
By 2023, UA has returned to the more traditional pre-COVID schedule update process. There are still some closer in changes but far less than during the COVID era.

UA publishes a schedule for 330 days in advance (called Beginning of Schedule) and in the past would make tweaks quarterly and things would be fairly settles 3-4 months out. Updates would occur Friday evening / Saturday morning (Chicago time). Routine additions could occur anytime.

Present updates are every Friday and sometimes mid-week usually focused on the next month and farther out.
Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

20 Oct 2021
Originally Posted by EWR764
In the earnings call today, UA noted that has been transitioning back to its 'normal' (pre-pandemic) 90-day schedule load process, which should be complete in the very near future.
However, during the COVID era, UA has gone to a more dynamic and shorter-term setting of schedule (as has the other carriers). Presently UA, while UA is still publishing a schedule for 330 days in advance it reflects pre-COVID operational levels and is considered just a placeholder schedule. Then 3-5 weeks prior to a month, UA makes a major update of that month's schedule.

Examples (Major updates)
The October 2020 schedule was updated 4-5 September 2020
The November 2020 schedule was updated 2-3 October 2020
The December 2020 schedule was updated 30-31 October 2020
Holidays can move the major date a week earlier or later.
Weekly updates are still generally done over night Friday-Saturday (Chicago)

UA does not publish a summary of most schedule changes but a variety of sources below do and summaries / links of those sources can be found in this thread & wiki.

Always crosscheck with UA's Travel Notices , Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel waivers and information, www.united.com/coronavirus as the situation is dynamic

Other Resources and Statistics
Archive: COVID19 UA-Schedule {Archive}
new Archive : UA-Schedule changes {Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA System Schedule changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by paule123
I'm booked on UA2347 July 23 ORD-CLE and noticed my seat assignment in F was lost, and the entire F cabin is now wide open for seat selection.

Doesn't seem like a schedule change, but maybe an aircraft swap?
yeah, sounds like A/C swap. Wait till tomorrow to re-select your seat, but it will most likely automatically give you the same one back even if it is not showing right now.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:53 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by wxguy
Looks like SFO<>HKG will revert to 1x/day in April. It had been scheduled for 2x/day, but I just got a schedule change moving me from the midday departure to the evening departure.
SFO-HKG looking like an easy upgrade in March. Y is light as well, so no need for 2x daily yet.

I understand UA not wanting to allocate an additional 2-3 77Es to this route until it gets traction.
SPN Lifer and wxguy like this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
NAP - FRA - LAX in June just got changed to NAP - MUC - LAX, layover is 4 hours instead of 2, and 2 hours later to get home. This is on Lufthansa using UA miles.

I'm assuming they won't let me change to a UA shorter flight? NAP - EWR - LAX is showing for the same day.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tstauck
NAP - FRA - LAX in June just got changed to NAP - MUC - LAX, layover is 4 hours instead of 2, and 2 hours later to get home. This is on Lufthansa using UA miles.

I'm assuming they won't let me change to a UA shorter flight? NAP - EWR - LAX is showing for the same day.
That should be an easy change if you want it. A two-hour schedule change is plenty to allow for a re-route on UA metal.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
That should be an easy change if you want it. A two-hour schedule change is plenty to allow for a re-route on UA metal.
Great, thank you! I'll give them a call
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 5:37 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
OMG my flight number changed!
Old Feb 5, 2023, 5:47 am

Had a schedule change of ~75 min for a SFO-LAS flight. Originally booked in basic economy via an OTA due to a special discount, but I have the option to make changes myself on united.com. Also seeing option to change to a "United Economy" fare free of charge. Would that "upgrade" me to regular economy for free, allowing further changes free of charge if need be?
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by klanfa
Had a schedule change of ~75 min for a SFO-LAS flight. Originally booked in basic economy via an OTA due to a special discount, but I have the option to make changes myself on united.com. Also seeing option to change to a "United Economy" fare free of charge. Would that "upgrade" me to regular economy for free, allowing further changes free of charge if need be?
The ability to change/refund etc. will always be the based on the original fare. That said, UA often allows multiple changes in such situations.
The change may show but not go through (claiming you must contact the OTA), YMMV.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Did you snag a free change waiver for that?
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Is it a better number?

David
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by paule123
I'm booked on UA2347 July 23 ORD-CLE and noticed my seat assignment in F was lost, and the entire F cabin is now wide open for seat selection.

Doesn't seem like a schedule change, but maybe an aircraft swap?
Update: received an email from UA yesterday (Feb 5) noting a schedule change ... about 3 days after I noticed the seat selections went missing. Nobody else but me with a seat assigned in the F cabin, so it seems they didn't reassign the other pax seats automatically.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by WannabeSE
So had an economy basic ticket in K class go through a schedule change (SFO-KIX). It appears, that was rebooked on other flights and was put was put in full Y. Would I actually get full miles for this? We accrue with Air Canada not UA, if that makes a difference.
We too was impacted by frequency change of SFO-KIX, now UA flight connecting to NH in HND. My UA flights, previously booked in W is now booked in H. As for seats, seem I have access to more forward cabin. Am crediting to UA so it wont make any difference in accrual.

Jiburi
Old Feb 11, 2023, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Just got a change on ORD-CVG in March. Simply an aircraft change - from 737-800 to 737-700, which ain't great...but is.

Interestingly, was alerted via text message which arrived overnight, noting they had to 'change the aircraft type or seating configuration' which required a change to seats. Never gotten a text for this. And no flag in the itinerary on my account. We got moved around a bit...from 24ACDF to 24F, 25D, and two in 26. Moved us all to row 12 instead. Don't understand how these changes really get made...you'd think if 24 were like for like seats, which they pretty much are in this case, they'd just try to do that to the extent possible. Not so much.

Not thrilled about the change, given the fewer F and E+ sears, but given every time I've been to CVG on mainline in the last, decade or so, it's always gone about half empty, I see why they might do it.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by fumje
Did you snag a free change waiver for that?
I did.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 9:15 pm

Had a flight cancelation to ACV in August. Apparently the entire airport is going to be closed for commercial aircraft from Aug 14-25 for runway work. Was able to reschedule for earlier in the month.

https://kymkemp.com/2023/02/11/long-...n-june-at-acv/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.