FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

bocastephen Jan 23, 20 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31986305)
I suspect that if you called up and said that you wanted to change your ticket to PEK because you had a separate onward ticket to WUH, you'd probably get an agent to allow you a free change. A free refund -- probably not without a waiver. But, changing the ticket to go somewhere else, and paying the fare difference? You might need to HUCA once or twice, but I suspect you could find someone to make an exception.

I think it depends on what is on the PNR - I build my PNRs with all of the segments listed, regardless of the airline, and then issue multiple tickets by a collection of segments, but there is one complete PNR with everything listed. In this case, I think there is a better chance of getting UA, or any airline, to do a change, but if the WUH ticket isn't visible to the agent, it's less likely they will cooperate, and if the WUH segment is by train, there is even less of a chance they will cooperate.

bigbellymonkey Jan 23, 20 1:25 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0io...ature=youtu.be
some real footage here.
Situation is very dire now.
They are building massive temporary cargo hospital now. It is supposed to be a temporary hospital, but it`s more likely a mass grave if situation got worse.
First line medical workers are only getting 1 x mask a day without fully protective gears.

bocastephen Jan 23, 20 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by bigbellymonkey (Post 31986507)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0io...ature=youtu.be
some real footage here.
Situation is very dire now.
They are building massive temporary cargo hospital now. It is supposed to be a temporary hospital, but it`s more likely a mass grave if situation got worse.
First line medical workers are only getting 1 x mask a day without fully protective gears.

Masks are useless except for trying to control some of the outbound shedding of virus from affected people, they don't filter what you breath in - if you're traveling to the area and are concerned about exposure, I would suggest investing in a few 3M N100 masks (sold on Amazon, or you might find something similar at Home Depot or a pharmacy) which will filter 100% of the air that you're breathing in - of course you still need to avoid touching your eyes, nose, etc with unwashed hands.

bigbellymonkey Jan 23, 20 1:54 pm

It is not practical to wear N95 -or N100 I have lived in Taiwan during SARS and I used to wear those N95 to school everyday. After 10-15 mins wearing those thing, I always had to adjust them or move them around. For normal people, surgical mask is enough. As far as I know, this virus is not airborne

Kmxu Jan 23, 20 3:43 pm

Change tickets

I will call United late today about changing tickets to return to US earlier. One of them is an award ticket in IN class. The first segment is on Air China. The rest are on UA. I do not find any IN spaces on UA and there is no CA saver economy on the first segment in the next 2-3 days. Is there any chance that United will open IN space on its own metal? If so, I do not mind flying out of PVG on UA instead of Hangzhou (therefore, avoiding CA).

My other ticket has a PVG-LAX upgrade cleared. I do not know that UA will put me on Polaris if I am allowed to change departure date.

jsloan Jan 23, 20 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 31987029)
I will call United late today about changing tickets to return to US earlier. One of them is an award ticket in IN class. The first segment is on Air China. The rest are on UA. I do not find any IN spaces on UA and there is no CA saver economy on the first segment in the next 2-3 days. Is there any chance that United will open IN space on its own metal? If so, I do not mind flying out of PVG on UA instead of Hangzhou (therefore, avoiding CA).

My other ticket has a PVG-LAX upgrade cleared. I do not know that UA will put me on Polaris if I am allowed to change departure date.

Both of these are possible in theory, but may be difficult without UA expanding the travel waiver first.

SFHokie Jan 23, 20 5:13 pm

So ... I flew into PVG late last night (Thursday) and will be flying out of there on Saturday morning. Things I noticed different from the usual customs, immigration, and inspections:
  1. No thermal temperature checking equipment before approaching the Immigration channels. My guess is that the device was taken from there and moved to the front of the airport (where they check for explosive devices before letting you proceed to ticketing). I can verify this is the case on Saturday morning.
  2. About 85% of the people were wearing surgical or "fashion" masks; I saw only one 3M N95 type of mask.
  3. Post-luggage pick-up *everyone* was having *every* bag scanned at the final inspection point. This is probably to ensure no new potential pathogen carrying goods or items are being brought into the country. (In the past half the people would scan their bags at this last inspection, but usually backpacks and handbags were exempt ... not yesterday!)
Rumor has it that it is advised to arrive at the airport now four hours before your flight due to new health screens upon leaving. While this might be a bad inconvenience (especially for me as I now will need to arrive at the airport just before 5pm ...) it seems like a wise step to prevent those who might be ill not to fly. (Why don't we do this more often and all over the world at airports and train stations?!)

Hopefully things will go smoothly tomorrow (Saturday) so I can enjoy the Chinese New Year abroad and away from any airborne illnesses! ...before, of course, coming back to mainland China for work. Ugggh.

narvik Jan 23, 20 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by SFHokie (Post 31987330)
Hopefully things will go smoothly tomorrow (Saturday) so I can enjoy the Chinese New Year abroad and away from any airborne illnesses!

(bolding mine)

Oh yeah, where's that? :cool:

I am in and out of PEK three times in the next 8 days. Hopefully UA still flies to PEK.

Kmxu Jan 23, 20 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31987041)
Both of these are possible in theory, but may be difficult without UA expanding the travel waiver first.

Thanks.
I called 1K line, and the best that they could do was to waive the change fees but not the fare differences. I should wait for an expansion of waiver or take the originally book flights. The fare differences are huge. (100K miles for the award ticket).

JNelson113 Jan 23, 20 6:32 pm

I am supposed to travel IAH-EWR-HKG roundtrip departing on Tuesday. I have my fingers crossed that by then I can change my ticket without penalty to something in April. I got an incredible deal and would hate to refund it outright (even thought it is a fully refundable ticket, I'd still like to fly the route assuming this dies down within a few months).

mahasamatman Jan 23, 20 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by deskover54 (Post 31984108)
they should issue a waiver for all china airports.

If there's a problem in Chicago, do you expect United to issue a waiver for every airport in the US?

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 31986617)
Masks are useless except for trying to control some of the outbound shedding of virus from affected people

The only real use for most masks is to prevent you from directly touching your mouth or nose with contaminated hands.

STS-134 Jan 23, 20 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 31987586)
If there's a problem in Chicago, do you expect United to issue a waiver for every airport in the US?

If there were an issue at MKE or FWA, I would expect UA to issue a waiver for ORD. If there were an issue at MRY or SMF or RNO, I would expect waivers for SFO and maybe LAX. It's entirely reasonable for someone to come from halfway around the world, land at LAX, and then intend to drive to near MRY or RNO. Because of China's HSR network, it is extremely easy (and common) to land at an airport 500 km from your destination and you can easily be at your destination by the end of the day.

Kmxu Jan 23, 20 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 31987586)

The answer depends upon what problem you talk about. For the coronavirus spread problem in China, it is huge because 30% of Wuhan population could travel to other parts of the country via public transportation before Chinese New Year. For my hometown, which is a thousand miles away, there are many people (10,000) returning from Wuhan. Thanks for “big data,” these people are tracked down and their activity will be restricted and monitored. Public gatherings are cancelled and we just stay home to be on the safe side.
Nevertheless, I still wish that UA will issue travel waiver for three Chinese airports, PVG, PEK and CTU.

kevflyer Jan 23, 20 8:14 pm

Just got off the phone with an Expedia supervisor who said an UA agent told him United will be updating the travel waiver to include more cities and dates on Monday. Not sure if that's true I'll keep an eye on things.

123dls Jan 23, 20 8:35 pm

I just called UA agent and she said I'll get full refund w/o cancellation fee because it was going to China (PEK). Let's see if I will get in my bank account. :)

TBH, if this is true, I'm pretty surprised because they've bad reputation.