Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July

COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 12, 20, 1:46 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Always crosscheck with UA's Travel Notices , Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel waivers and information, www.united.com/coronavirus as the situation is dynamic

CARES service exemptions for United
United Exemption 042520 FINAL ISSUED.pdf
United Airlines 2nd Exemption_051220_FINAL ISSUED.pdf
latest (tentative) -2020-5-5 Order to Show Cause

09 June -- From UA Hub, Summer 2020 route network schedule update
01 July - From UA Hub,United Airlines Adds Nearly 25,000 Flights in August , post 2888

RoutesOnLine reports
29 May United NS20 Long-Haul operation changes as of 29MAY20
02 May United 2Q20 Interim Long-Haul and NS20 update as of 0215GMT 02MAY20
02 May United 2Q20 Interim and NS20 Guam / Micronesia Island Hopper update as of 0215GMT 02MAY20
20 April COVID-19: North America market update - all carriers
18 April United NS20 {Summer 2020) Long-Haul operations as of 0400GMT 18APR20
also
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
... weekly "OAG Changes" posts on airliners.net on Sunday mornings.
OAG Changes 7/12/2020:EVOLUTION Some backsliding on previous Aug increases
OAG Changes 7/5/2020: Significant number of September changes, in addition to previously announced August changes
OAG Changes 6/28/2020:CALMING SKIES (minimal changes)
OAG Changes 6/21/2020:August Under Fire;...UA Out of SMX (Some August updates)
OAG Changes for 6/14/2020:THE CALM BEFORE? (very few UA changes)
OAG Changes 6/7/2020 July 2020 (mostly North American for UA)
OAG Changes 5/31/2020 (mostly international for UA)

30 June 2020

Tickets: For tickets issued March 3 through March 31, 2020, customers will be permitted to change without paying a change fee to a flight of equal or lesser value for travel up to 24 months from the original ticket issue date. For tickets issued between April 1, 2020, and July 31, 2020, customers will be permitted to change without paying a change fee to a flight of equal or lesser value for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date.

If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee but no residual value will be given.

Changes/Cancellations: If the customer decides to change or cancel the flight they booked between March 3, 2020 and March 31, 2020, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without a change fee for travel up to 24 months from the original ticket issue date. If the customer decides to change or cancel the flight they booked between April 1, 2020, and July 31, 2020, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without a change fee for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date. Any changes or cancellation must occur prior to ticketed travel date.

Fare Validity: This applies to all tickets, all UA fare types, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Some fares are non-refundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.

International travel advisories and waivers

For more information about international travel:

Other Resources and Statistics
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 29, 20, 4:51 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by jmastron View Post
The thing that isn't clear to me is whether making one change after June 30 would then subject further changes to fees, or if the changed ticket would retain the "no change fee" fare rules and allow multiple changes.
I decided to cancel an early August award booking rather than move it, for exactly this reason.

FWIW Alaska Airlines just extended their waiver through July 31.
Old Jun 29, 20, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmastron View Post
The thing that isn't clear to me is whether making one change after June 30 would then subject further changes to fees, or if the changed ticket would retain the "no change fee" fare rules and allow multiple changes.
It gets complicated. In general, it's best to assume that you get one change, and that a second change would be under the rules in effect at the time that you make the first one. If you do not change any of the flight details -- same cities, same carriers, same everything except the flight numbers -- there are cases when UA can revalidate the ticket instead of having to reissue a new one, and you might therefore get a second free change. And if you change the return, but not the outbound, there's a good chance that you would be able to use historical fares and therefore probably get a second free change.

Note also that UA will keep any fare difference in its favor. So, if you do manage to make four free changes, and your fare goes from $500 to $400 to $300 to $250 to $500, UA can collect an extra $250 for that last change. You might get someone to waive it for you, but they don't have to do that.
Old Jun 29, 20, 6:31 pm

I have a flight booked on July 1 in the afternoon, but am still not sure if I will be travelling. How late can I cancel this flight? A few hours before takeoff?
Old Jun 29, 20, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAFLYER22 View Post
I have a flight booked on July 1 in the afternoon, but am still not sure if I will be travelling. How late can I cancel this flight? A few hours before takeoff?
You can cancel it up until the flight closes and you're declared a no-show, about 15-30 minutes prior to departure.

However, if you booked the flight prior to March 2, and UA does not extend its current waiver, then you would need to make a change by "June 30" -- likely, 23:59 Chicago time -- or you would need to pay any applicable change fee.
Old Jun 29, 20, 6:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
A few hours should be fine. As late as the checkin deadline should also be fine but don't cut it so close if you have a problems, there isn't time to call.
Minimum latest time to cancel (cash) UA ticket for credit?
Old Jun 29, 20, 6:43 pm

Flight was booked June 6. So changes after June 30th are okay?
Old Jun 29, 20, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Flight was booked June 6. So changes after June 30th are okay?
Yes, but if the new ticket is cheaper there is no "refund" of the difference and rebooking needs to be within 12 months for original purchase.
See change rules for tickets since 3 March
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 9:02 am

So barring a last minute extension, today is the last day to change a previously booked flight? Or is today the deadline to have the free-change waiver applied to a newly purchased ticket.

IE, if you purchased a ticket in January for travel in September, I could cancel it today without penalty. But if I cancel it on July 1, the regular fare rules (change fee, etc.) would apply?
Old Jun 30, 20, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danpeake View Post
So barring a last minute extension, today is the last day to change a previously booked flight? Or is today the deadline to have the free-change waiver applied to a newly purchased ticket.

Both.

IE, if you purchased a ticket in January for travel in September, I could cancel it today without penalty. But if I cancel it on July 1, the regular fare rules (change fee, etc.) would apply?
Correct.
danpeake likes this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 9:09 am

So barring a last minute extension, today is the last day to change a previously booked flight? ...
Yes, assuming there is less 2 hour schedule change
Or is today the deadline to have the free-change waiver applied to a newly purchased ticket. ...
Last day to purchase such as ticket, yes. Again if not extended.

There are at least three different waivers with 30 June date.

yes
danpeake likes this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 9:37 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Yes, assuming there is less 2 hour schedule change
Depends on when previously it was booked thanks to the "3 different waivers" mentioned.

If it was booked sometime between the first waivers (March?) and today the fare rules should have the change fee as "no fee" with add-collect for fare diff and forfeit residual which means that even absent a "waiver" a change to that ticket would incur only the fare difference (if higher/wouldn't receive any residual back if cheaper) even if none of the more typical waivers are extended.

Of course if you change that ticket after today and new fare rules apply to the new fare including a more typical penalties section then it's really only one "free" change.
danpeake likes this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
Depends on when previously it was booked thanks to the "3 different waivers" mentioned.

If it was booked sometime between the first waivers (March?) and today the fare rules should have the change fee as "no fee" with add-collect for fare diff and forfeit residual which means that even absent a "waiver" a change to that ticket would incur only the fare difference (if higher/wouldn't receive any residual back if cheaper) even if none of the more typical waivers are extended. .....
True, but was avoiding extraneous options that don't apply to OP when the user states
.... IE, if you purchased a ticket in January for travel in September, ....?
danpeake likes this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 11:33 am
RJ1

This may have been answered previously, but here goes...

If I have a cancelled flight under the waiver "booked on or before March 2, 2020, for travel June 1 - December 31, 2020", and if I rebook today for, say, a flight later this year, and then have to cancel the rebooked flight, does the ticket still retain the 24 month time period from the 'original' ticket?
Old Jun 30, 20, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by RJ1 View Post
.... If I have a cancelled flight under the waiver "booked on or before March 2, 2020, for travel June 1 - December 31, 2020", and if I rebook today for, say, a flight later this year, and then have to cancel the rebooked flight, does the ticket still retain the 24 month time period from the 'original' ticket?
Most likely no. It will be generally governed by the fare rules on the new ticket. There is one sub-case that may keep the original. If all you do is change dates but the same routing, all UA operated and original fare rules still valid for new circumstances (and a few other conditions), it may get changed in a way to keep the original conditions. But in most cases it will be a new ticket / new fare rules.
RJ1 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Question...1K here...I have to fly from MCO-DCA via EWR on 7/17....What should I expect with the 14 day quarantine mandate for people flying out of FL. Would I be in non-compliance making this trip and flying through EWR??? Or should I call the 1k desk and have me be rerouted via IAH or ORD.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: