FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

WineCountryUA May 28, 20 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by IMissThe747 (Post 32411602)
If I'm reading that correctly, it appears to only apply to flights book after March 3. ...

As posted earlier, the pre-3 March waiver was changed also. Also the award bookings waiver was also updated to 30 June. At least 3 waivers were changed today

jmastron May 28, 20 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32399294)
My reading of the situation is that if you were to rebook your ticket during May, then what you suggest should be possible. That's because tickets booked during May get a change fee waiver with no date restriction. On November 30, if you sense that you don't need the January ticket, you should be able to change for free to a December 31 ticket, at which point the 30-day redeposit rules would apply and you could redeposit for free.

In fact, this same process should work to allow anyone who books award travel in May to get a free deposit through the end of November.

I suppose it's possible that UA could try to close this loophole, but similar procedures were available for years to get around the close-in booking fee, so I don't think it's particularly likely that there will be any changes.

Thanks; I went ahead and redeposited (miles instantly appeared in account) and rebooked as 2 one-way awards. The next question I have is how many changes are allowed? There's a reference earlier in the thread to an agent claiming just one, but none of the wordings call that out -- and changing the fare rules to show "$0 change fee" implies that's the fee that applies to any change, just as you can normally change more than once for $200 or whatever each time. Might not be as interesting for award tickets (where redepositing may be better than changing), but would be good to know for paid tickets.

WineCountryUA May 28, 20 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by jmastron (Post 32411779)
Thanks; I went ahead and redeposited (miles instantly appeared in account) and rebooked as 2 one-way awards. The next question I have is how many changes are allowed? ... .

That will be based on the rules in place at the time you make the next change. For now you have a free change. Once you make that change, the future will be based on the rules for that new ticket.

jsloan May 28, 20 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32411782)
That will be based on the rules in place at the time you make the next change. For now you have a free change. Once you make that change, the future will be based on the rules for that new ticket.

Agreed, although for award tickets in particular, the fact that free redeposits are allowed with 30 days notice is good for travel throughout the remainder of 2020. However, it is possible that if UA changes the fare rules to restore normal change fees, and you then made a change, you would lose the ability to make a subsequent change within 30 days of departure. (More than 30 days from departure, even if you couldn't get a free change, you could get a free redeposit and then book a new ticket, which is substantively the same).

buckeyefanflyer Jun 6, 20 11:43 pm

Looks like United leaving EYW but Silver will stay. Sad because flights from EWR were pretty full.

zappa42m Jun 7, 20 8:18 am

Sorry if this question's being answered right now, but I can't find it.
Today I made a change to a flight booked in march. The new ticket is issued today.
So when I cancel it, the new flight must commence within 12month from today.
What will happen if I don't use the FFC (I guess I will get a FFC) within that 12monthperiod.?

jsloan Jun 7, 20 11:03 am

Originally Posted by zappa42m (Post 32436886)
What will happen if I don't use the FFC (I guess I will get a FFC) within that 12monthperiod.?

If you don't use FFC within its validity period, the ticket expires, worthless.

CMK10 Jun 9, 20 7:55 am

United brought back its late departures from ATL for July then got rid of them again last weekend. I had to cancel, refund and rebook on AA :(

WineCountryUA Jun 14, 20 1:32 am

Summer 2020 route network schedule update

By The Hub team, June 09, 2020
As states and municipalities begin to reopen, we are restoring non-stop service to places our customers want to go. Whether visiting family, going on vacation, or conducting business, many customers have told us they are considering flying again. In response, we are reinstating flights at over 150 of our U.S and Canadian destinations, including the resumption of approximately 140 previously suspended non-stop routes. We are also increasing the number of international routes in July by adding more trans-Atlantic service from our airport hub locations in Washington, D.C. and San Francisco to cities across Europe, including destinations served via our partner carriers. Additionally, in July, we will re-start new service to Tokyo-Haneda, Hong Kong, Singapore and Seoul as this allows us to respond to the gradual return of demand to these cities as well as other locations in the region through connecting flights. In Latin America and the Caribbean, we'll expand service throughout by opening links to a variety of locations where our customers are looking to get away or visit family. While our domestic and international capacity in July will continue to be significantly lower compared to last year's July schedule, our teams continue to monitor and evaluate demand for travel in the U.S. and around the world and will adjust our schedules accordingly.

We continue to make the health and safety of our customers and employees our top priority as new destinations are added back into the schedule. The United CleanPlusSMSM program includes Clorox and Cleveland Clinic to inform and guide United's cleaning, safety and social distancing protocols, including things like touchless check-in for baggage at select locations, mandatory face coverings for crew and customers onboard our flights, and giving customers options when flights are more full.

Highlights of our domestic schedule include:
  • Increased flight schedules to key business destinations like New York, Boston, Seattle, and Philadelphia, supporting the return of critical commercial and governmental travel
  • More options to leisure destinations where attractions and lodging are reopening in Florida, Las Vegas, and other wonderful getaways like Charleston, SC and Portland, ME
  • Added flights to National Park and outdoor leisure markets like Aspen, CO and Jackson Hole, WY where social distancing is a natural feature
  • Resumption of US-Canada transborder services to key destinations including Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, and Vancouver
To accommodate the resumption of services throughout our domestic network, we will be increasing the number of non-stop and connecting flight options at all seven of our U.S. hub airports particularly Denver, Chicago and Houston.Some highlights of our new summer international schedule:
  • Additional trans-Atlantic flying from New York/Newark (EWR), Washington-Dulles (IAD) and San Francisco (SFO), including resumption of service to Brussels (BRU), Dublin (DUB), Munich (MUC), and Zurich (ZRH)
  • Across the Pacific we will grow our Tokyo service including the addition of Haneda (HND) from Chicago O'Hare (ORD), and will also resume service to Seoul (ICN), Hong Kong (HKG), and Singapore (SIN) which will be served via a flight from Hong Kong (HKG), pending government approvals
  • Restarting service to Queretaro (QRO) and San Luis Potosi (SLP) in Mexico
  • Restarting service to almost a dozen cities in South America, Central America and the Caribbean
See below for the full details of our international schedule for July:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7b5dbf906c.png
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f55f261b53.png
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4099963435.png

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...232cc89ad9.png

buckeyefanflyer Jun 14, 20 8:07 am

Key West

Not sure why UA is not going back to Key West. Every flight I was on the past few years were just about full. Loads were down the past 3 months because everything was closed to tourists but now back open. Only option to EYW old way Silver via FLL or drive from FLL/MIA..

WineCountryUA Jun 14, 20 11:09 am

Relatively few changes (and far out) in this weeks OAG Changes for 6/14/2020:THE CALM BEFORE? from https://www.airliners.net

**UA CUU-IAH AUG 0.9>0[1.0] SEP 1.0>0[1.0] OCT 1.0>0[1.0] NOV 1.0>0[1.0] DEC 1.0>0[1.0] JAN 1.0>0[1.0] FEB 1.0>0[1.0] MAR 1.0>0[1.0] APR 1.0>0[0]
**UA EWR-MAN OCT 0.3>0[1.0] NOV 1.0>0[1.0] DEC 1.0>0[1.0] JAN 1.0>0[1.0] FEB 1.0>0[1.0] MAR 1.0>0[1.0] APR 1.0>0[0]
UA EWR-SNN APR 1.0>0[0]
IAH-PBI DEC 1.0>0.8[1.5] JAN 1.0>0.5[1.2] FEB 1.0>0.5[1.0] MAR 1.0>0.5[2.0] APR 1.0>0.5[1.0]

Mike Jacoubowsky Jun 14, 20 12:08 pm

I assume lower priority is given to destinations that might be popular but have fewer opportunities for connections, specifically SFO-CDG. Sigh.

WineCountryUA Jun 14, 20 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky (Post 32455745)
I assume lower priority is given to destinations that might be popular but have fewer opportunities for connections, specifically SFO-CDG. Sigh.

For the most part, UA is focusing SFO on TPAC (but SFO-FRA is coming back for the first TATL). Other TATL from SFO should come back in future months. It is going to take many months and likely will not be as deep and wide of TATL from SFO service for years,.

Mike Jacoubowsky Jun 14, 20 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32455814)
For the most part, UA is focusing SFO on TPAC (but SFO-FRA is coming back for the first TATL). Other TATL from SFO should come back in future months. It is going to take many months and likely will not be as deep and wide of TATL from SFO service for years,.

Looks like 1x daily SFO-LHR now, and 2x daily SFO-FRA for Sept 10 & 21st. I don't think SFO-FRA was 3x in the past? So SFO-LHR dropped its... was it a 7pm departure? Seems like you can still get where you want to go. I'm surprised that the connecting flights in the EU run as often as they do; that's what worries me a bit. Lots of room for cancellations there.

WineCountryUA Jun 14, 20 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky (Post 32456518)
Looks like 1x daily SFO-LHR now, and 2x daily SFO-FRA for Sept 10 & 21st. I don't think SFO-FRA was 3x in the past? So SFO-LHR dropped its... was it a 7pm departure? Seems like you can still get where you want to go. I'm surprised that the connecting flights in the EU run as often as they do; that's what worries me a bit. Lots of room for cancellations there.

Be careful looking at European connections this summer, I had connecting flights for a July trip and another for the September trip. LH is showing 6-8 flights daily on the schedule but only the early morning and late evening were taking bookings. So I was likely to be hit at some point with cancellation / re-schedule but for now LH is just zero'ing out flights instead of canceling. Fortunately, UA made a schedule change for the SFO-FRA in July (the more expensive trip) and I got a refund. Still, limbo for September because the flights are still on the schedule but not presently bookable.