FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

Feather Man Jan 30, 20 3:25 pm

I just checked my reservation for EWR-HKG the week of 16-Feb. So far, the reservation still looks "live". Surely I would have received some kind of notification, right ?

Weatherboy Jan 30, 20 3:27 pm

These charts reflect a lot of heavy metal not being used. What is UA doing with all of the equipment that isn't going to China?

Flying Machine Jan 30, 20 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 32009730)
Iím flying LAX NRT PEK (2 Nights in PEK), then PEK ORD IAH EZE. All on you UA metal except the NRT PEK leg is on ANA, Travel is at the end of February. The fare was about $550. I really need to get to EZE ( as an aside, II have an award ticket on COPA coming back from EZE to LAX but I digress)

Do you believe UA will let me drop the NRT PEK leg, ay let me fly LAX NRT (two nights in NRT) then NRT ORD IAH EZE or any other set of flights originating in NRT to get to my ultimate destination of EZE? I wouldnít mind spending the two nights and then RT, just to have a nice break in Tokyo

If they force me to do a refund, the flights to EZE from LAX are quite expensive now, and Iím looking to save this great fare that I have and pick up some extra mileage along the way to help with my million miler status. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well..after 45 minutes on Skype calling into United (Iím traveling on business to Spain right now) I had some time this evening and decided to call in. I asked for the NRT PEK leg on the outbound to be omitted. Then asked on the same date as the original PEK ORD was scheduled on the 27th I asked if I could fly NRT LAX IAH EZE instead. I mentioned Iíd like to do this under the waiver and Keep the price of the ticket the same. The agent goes we can do that thank you for calling in with a solution that always helps. Because there was an ANA flight on the original record she couldnít re-issue the ticket, had to call a lead, who said the change fee will be waived but there is a fare difference and can I hold while they call rates. I said I prefer her not as I wanted it to be an even exchange and could she just reinstate the ticket to the original form. Then I hear some silence then aside, the agent says oh gosh I canít rebook it the space is no longer there on one of my flights she goes now I need to call in and have them overbooked the flight

when she speaks to the new lead agent to reinstate the original ticket she says you know this agent agreed with me and there shouldnít be any fare difference and we could handle it as an even exchange and would you like your proposed itinerary. I say yes, she goes OK let me work with them. Sheís on hold for a while so then I take a look at my reservation on my iPhone. Five minutes later she gets on the line and she goes were you just in the reservation? I say yes, she goes oh these are very hard to re-processAnd the lead got an error on the ticket. I said Iíll stay out of the reservation you can go ahead and do your thing. 10 minutes later she comes back all done I assign some seats email the receipt to myself and see that everything is booked correctly
At the end she goes well the first person mustíve been confused because there shouldnít be a fair change and the second lead agreed with me and processed it. She told me thanks for being 1 million miler and I appreciate your patience. I wished her a good night and Iím sitting here somewhat surprised and happy. Thought these data points will help some others

jsloan Jan 30, 20 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 32013796)
Sheís on hold for a while so then I take a look at my reservation on my iPhone. Five minutes later she gets on the line and she goes were you just in the reservation? I say yes, she goes oh these are very hard to re-processAnd the lead got an error on the ticket. I said Iíll stay out of the reservation you can go ahead and do your thing.

I have also run into this in the past, and while it terrifies me to think of how viewing the record can break it -- that should be a read-only operation, United IT :D -- I've learned to stay hands-off until they tell me they're done.

Glad you were able to get the ticket the way you wanted it. :tu:

gusd Jan 30, 20 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32013815)
I have also run into this in the past, and while it terrifies me to think of how viewing the record can break it -- that should be a read-only operation, United IT :D -- I've learned to stay hands-off until they tell me they're done.

Glad you were able to get the ticket the way you wanted it. :tu:

More and more agents are telling me to stay out of the reservation before they start working on it.

WineCountryUA Jan 30, 20 4:03 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 32013662)

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 32013430)
Well those charts sure look familiar: https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...O-15016646.php

SFGate cites United as the source. Is that where it actually came from or did it come from one of our members here?

the charts are from my agency bulletin but Iím sure they are all over by now

The charts are from United, easily found on the United Jetstream site
United expands temporary China suspensions (Feb 9 - Mar 28)

gcashin Jan 30, 20 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Feather Man (Post 32013756)
I just checked my reservation for EWR-HKG the week of 16-Feb. So far, the reservation still looks "live". Surely I would have received some kind of notification, right ?

I've got a flight the week of Feb 16 that looks like it will be impacted as well, and in the same situation, as it's still showing scheduled when I look up the reservation. It looks like they've zeroed out the availability so they're not selling it any more, but haven't rebooked or notified yet. Perhaps they're working on the rebooking/notification details?

bioyuki Jan 30, 20 4:17 pm

AA's pilot union just sued to stop all China flights. Wonder if UA/DL pilot/FA unions will follow suit.

Kmxu Jan 30, 20 4:54 pm

WHO declaration

Now, World Health Organization has declared Coronavirus global health emergency. Will United have to reduce its flights further or totally suspend all remaining flights?

wxguy Jan 30, 20 5:15 pm

I'm confident UA will find places to fly the planes, given the crunch with the MAX situation (cascading 777s for 787s, 787s for 757s, 757s for 737s, etc.). Same for the pilots and US-based FAs. But what of the HKG-based FAs? As I recall they can only fly HKG-originated routes, is that correct? Will they be furloughed?

mehitabel Jan 30, 20 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 32012352)
Just received word that schedule reductions are extended through end of March :eek:

I am going to share some graphics which will make it much clearer than typing it all out:

PEK
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...effb4a9c75.png

Hmmnmm. I was just looking at options for changing my Feb SFO-PEK trip to late March under the current waiver's parameters. Selecting for only UA metal, it shows the single SFO-PEK nonstop through Wed 3/25. On 3/26 the ORD flight also appears, and on Friday 3/27 and after, so do EWR and IAD. Not sure how that meshes with the posted schedule. Of course I expect the waiver will eventually be further extended, but still.

east_west Jan 30, 20 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by bioyuki (Post 32013929)
AA's pilot union just sued to stop all China flights. Wonder if UA/DL pilot/FA unions will follow suit.

Air France crew unions demanded a halt to flights to PEK and PVG on Thursday and AF-KLM suspended Friday. Hard to imagine UA crews are willing to work these flights (and the necessary overnight layovers) when many other major western airlines have halted flights.

jsloan Jan 30, 20 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by bioyuki (Post 32013929)

Originally Posted by east_west (Post 32014190)
Air France crew unions demanded a halt to flights to PEK and PVG on Thursday and AF-KLM suspended Friday. Hard to imagine UA crews are willing to work these flights (and the necessary overnight layovers) when many other major western airlines have halted flights.

Actually, I find it very easy to believe. I suspect labor relations at UA are much better than labor relations at AA or AF.

uastarflyer Jan 30, 20 6:18 pm

Is Beijing and Chengu not affected? How does UA justify still bringing a plane load of potentially carrier passengers from China to SFO daily?

HkCaGu Jan 30, 20 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy (Post 32014093)
I'm confident UA will find places to fly the planes, given the crunch with the MAX situation (cascading 777s for 787s, 787s for 757s, 757s for 737s, etc.). Same for the pilots and US-based FAs. But what of the HKG-based FAs? As I recall they can only fly HKG-originated routes, is that correct? Will they be furloughed?

UA's ~300 HKG FAs can usually staff two daily flights. Since ORD was cut, they've been given "W" routes--HKG-SFO-HND-SFO-HKG and HKG-SFO-ICN-SFO-HKG. But now down to 1 flight a day it's going to be tough, although understandably some may prefer to be away from home. But having a HKG base may sustain the route(s) instead of unions not wanting to fly. (Some FAs are US citizens so they can "legally" work US domestic flights, but contractually it's another matter...)