FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

narvik Jan 29, 20 3:51 am

Originally Posted by whitethunder (Post 32006752)
well cancelled my Feb 20 PVG ticket, hopefully the situation improves as I have some HKG flights in March I do not want to change....

If it's anything like SARS, March & April will be the worst months.

PsiFighter37 Jan 29, 20 6:10 am

BA outright suspended all its flights to China through end of February. Wonder if other airlines (including UA) take similarly broad measures soon.

narvik Jan 29, 20 6:37 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 32007456)
BA outright suspended all its flights to China through end of February. Wonder if other airlines (including UA) take similarly broad measures soon.

BA has suspended all DIRECT flight from China to the UK.
You can still fly China- to HongKong and then HKG-LHR on BA.

east_west Jan 29, 20 6:43 am

Does the UA flight attendant/pilot union have any say in whether service is suspended?

Magic Bus Jan 29, 20 7:54 am

I was ticketed DEL-HKG-SFO Feb 7th. The DEL-HKG was on CX, HKG-SFO on UA.
Called the 1K desk, and they rebooked DEL-SFO nonstop, waived all fees.
The layover in HKG was 3 hours, I wasn't worried about picking up the virus, but was concerned about potential flight cancellations and getting stuck somewhere.

notquiteaff Jan 29, 20 8:55 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 32007456)

LH, Swiss, and Austrian have canceled all flights to mainland China through Feb 9, it seems.

WineCountryUA Jan 29, 20 10:07 am

Let's try to keep this thread focused on UA and UA flyers. There are numerous thread on FT about the Coronavirus,

a collection of those threads can be found here

And some are double posting,
there is a discussion of the USA "rescue" flight in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chin...ona-virus.html

Travel News or TravelBuzz are also good places for discussion of interest to the broad travel community

Ana for some topics OMNI/PR

So please in this thread, let's focus on things UA related -- and the UA traveler

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Lurchthunde Jan 29, 20 2:17 pm

Interestingly enough, UA support isn’t familiar with the fact that the waiver’s been expanded to multiple cities.

I called today to get my flight refunded to Chengdu after I originally took advantage of some awesome cheap flights Kxmu had posted late last year, but they weren’t aware that refunds were allowed for CTU and PEK, only Wuhan. They transferred me over to web support which confirmed this option, and they refunded it.

If anyone else runs into that problem with getting their flight refunded (not just changing the dates), try asking to be transferred to web support too.

arthursiew Jan 29, 20 2:35 pm

Sharing this in case you have a similar issue:

Originally booked in Y to PVG on 1/30 from SFO connecting in LAX. I took advantage of the waiver and rescheduled it to 2/3 and it allowed me to rebook in R on the nonstop UA891 from SFO for free on the website. Yesterday they cancelled UA891. I attempted to get this rebooked yesterday in R on another connecting flight, but they wouldn’t allow me to connect at a different city if the connecting flight is not on UA. Today they offered to upgrade to J, so that was a bit of a surprise. I was prepared to just accept E+ they initially offered since I already got the R upgrade for free, so that was nice.

djstrikkmaster Jan 29, 20 2:49 pm

I'm monitoring the situation as I'm flying United in March SDF-IAD-PEK-SGN on award tickets. Assuming they expand the travel dates and seats are available, I should be able to get my flights changed to avoid China but keep my travel dates, correct? Sorry, I know this is a really amateur question but asking experienced travelers provides some piece of mind.

jsloan Jan 29, 20 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by djstrikkmaster (Post 32009531)
I'm monitoring the situation as I'm flying United in March SDF-IAD-PEK-SGN on award tickets. Assuming they expand the travel dates and seats are available, I should be able to get my flights changed to avoid China but keep my travel dates, correct? Sorry, I know this is a really amateur question but asking experienced travelers provides some piece of mind.

Yes. UA can (and will) open space on its own flights, but they can't do that on partner flights. So, you'd need to find available award flights into SGN from someplace that UA serves where you're willing to connect. The easiest approach (in terms of getting someone from UA to help) is to search for SDF-SGN and ignore the number of miles required. Getting access to any of those flights should be straightforward.

djstrikkmaster Jan 29, 20 3:17 pm

Thank you! I have seen award space available though other countries for all of our flights. So far, I've found plenty for the same amount of miles, but if the number is higher, that's not going to matter? Just making sure I'm clear if/when the waivers are extended.

findark Jan 29, 20 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by djstrikkmaster (Post 32009637)
Thank you! I have seen award space available though other countries for all of our flights. So far, I've found plenty for the same amount of miles, but if the number is higher, that's not going to matter? Just making sure I'm clear if/when the waivers are extended.

If the waiver states that any difference of fare is waived, then yes the difference in miles (fare) doesn't matter.

Flying Machine Jan 29, 20 3:45 pm

Interesting change request

I’m flying LAX NRT PEK (2 Nights in PEK), then PEK ORD IAH EZE. All on you UA metal except the NRT PEK leg is on ANA, Travel is at the end of February. The fare was about $550. I really need to get to EZE ( as an aside, II have an award ticket on COPA coming back from EZE to LAX but I digress)

Do you believe UA will let me drop the NRT PEK leg, ay let me fly LAX NRT (two nights in NRT) then NRT ORD IAH EZE or any other set of flights originating in NRT to get to my ultimate destination of EZE? I wouldn’t mind spending the two nights and then RT, just to have a nice break in Tokyo

If they force me to do a refund, the flights to EZE from LAX are quite expensive now, and I’m looking to save this great fare that I have and pick up some extra mileage along the way to help with my million miler status. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jsloan Jan 29, 20 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 32009730)
Do you believe UA will let me drop the NRT PEK leg, ay let me fly LAX NRT (two nights in NRT) then NRT ORD IAH EZE or any other set of flights originating in NRT to get to my ultimate destination of EZE? I wouldn’t mind spending the two nights and then RT, just to have a nice break in Tokyo

It's worth asking about. According to the waiver, you'd need to pay a fare difference, but I could it being waived, considering that travel is basically to the same region.