FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

jsloan Mar 14, 20 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 32184794)
I am assuming that when United cancels the flight i get a refund and not ETCs?

Never assume. The answer is "maybe." There are multiple reports of UA referring to their new schedule change policy and refusing to provide a refund if the rebooking is within their parameters (currently +/- 6 hours of your booked time).

You may have additional leverage if your return flight is cancelled, because EC.261 protections apply to it, and they appear to call for a refund in this situation.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 32184794)
So is the best bet to wait until they cancel one of the flights on the itinerary to get an actual refund? TIA.

Yes. You are extremely unlikely to get a refund unless your flight gets cancelled first.

lmwong1977 Mar 14, 20 1:25 pm

Sorry, cant quote post above on my phone but my direct to cdg was changed to a connecting as direct was cancelled. Originally 2:40p to an 8 am flight to ord onward to cdg. Return was just hour change but connecting via ewr and ord. Claimed 25 hour change would only qualify said no 6 hour rule just 25. Said ticket was unfundable anyway. Offered instead to extend the credit to 15 month expiration instead of the usual 12 with mult free changes during the 15 months. They really don't want to give money back. Going call again later - try some intl cs line.

Weatherboy Mar 14, 20 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 32184659)
Waikiki is still open for business. There were 2 cases in Hawaii - with another 2 added in Kauai today (visitors). Some events getting cancelled like St. Patricks downtown block party, half marathon, etc - but otherwise, not seeing restaurant/bar closures.

As far as the other islands - I suspect they are open for business as well.

On the Big Island, we're under the assumption that interisland and mainland travel won't be around much longer, so if anything, there's an appreciation for healthy folks opting to "lock-down" here ahead of what is likely a death-blow to the tourism industry. Healthy people and dollars will be welcomed with much "aloha."

Kauai does have a 100-person maximum lock-down in effect today and we do expect similar stuff across the islands. This means no public or private gathering of that size, which extends to weddings, luaus, etc. I expect limits on resort activities including restaurants/bars there. So if you opt to spend quarantine in paradise, you'll enjoy fragrant fresh breezes and awesome sunsets, but don't expect the typical vacation experience...especially in the coming days/weeks.

HNLbasedFlyer Mar 14, 20 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 32184890)
On the Big Island, we're under the assumption that interisland and mainland travel won't be around much longer, so if anything, there's an appreciation for healthy folks opting to "lock-down" here ahead of what is likely a death-blow to the tourism industry. Healthy people and dollars will be welcomed with much "aloha."

While things can change instantly, I'm just not seeing that way of thinking on Oahu (especially a flight ban). I could see the 100 person limit happening and luau's taking a hit - but I'm going to stay optimistic restaurants/bars/pools will be exempted unless cases rise to a level seen in Seattle/NYC

britNY Mar 14, 20 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 32184962)
While things can change instantly, I'm just not seeing that way of thinking on Oahu (especially a flight ban). I could see the 100 person limit happening and luau's taking a hit - but I'm going to stay optimistic restaurants/bars/pools will be exempted unless cases rise to a level seen in Seattle/NYC

question is: does a Hawai’i want a stream of people from NYC visiting? As much as I’d like to I kinda think it would be selfish to impose.

WineCountryUA Mar 14, 20 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by lmwong1977 (Post 32184872)
Sorry, cant quote post above on my phone but my direct to cdg was changed to a connecting as direct was cancelled. Originally 2:40p to an 8 am flight to ord onward to cdg. Return was just hour change but connecting via ewr and ord. Claimed 25 hour change would only qualify said no 6 hour rule just 25. ....

UA recently backtracked on the 25+ hour to a new 6+ hour require. There are a lots of things that were "true" a day or two ago that have changed and it has been that way for the past few weeks, daily changes. Immensely confusing but reality
Schedule change refund policy changed from 2+ hrs to 25+ hrs now 6+ hrs 12 March 2020

WineCountryUA Mar 14, 20 2:13 pm

While we personally are intensely focused on our local areas or where we might be traveling, there are better places for these non-UA related discussions. Either the specific Destinations forums or Coronavirus and travel

There is plenty for this UA and UA traveler forum to discuss, so let's focus out discussion there and use the other forums are appropriate.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

bluedemon211 Mar 14, 20 2:14 pm

Clarification on tickets booked before March 31

A couple of questions I have after trying to better understand the "no change fee" on tickets if booked by March 31, 2020:

-Can I change my travel multiple times or do I only get 1 free change and then have to pay for any subsequent changes?

-Can I use a previously cancelled ticket for a new booking (with the normal $200 change fee) and then have the new ticket qualify as a no change fee booking?

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find a definitive answer. Thank you !

jsloan Mar 14, 20 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by bluedemon211 (Post 32185104)
A couple of questions I have after trying to better understand the "no change fee" on tickets if booked by March 31, 2020:

-Can I change my travel multiple times or do I only get 1 free change and then have to pay for any subsequent changes?

Like most things in airfare, it’s extremely complicated. The fares currently being offered allow for an unlimited number of changes. However, if the change that you want doesn’t fit all of the requirements of the original fare, and thus requires repricing, in many cases you’re going to be using current fares at the time of reissue. If UA is no longer offering this waiver at that point, that may reintroduce a change fee for subsequent changes. So the answer is, at least one free change will be allowed, but in some cases, that will be all you get, absent a new waiver being issued.

Also note that these fares call for any residual to be ignored, so if you change to a lower fare, the difference is kept by UA. So, if you buy a $400 ticket, and change to a $300 ticket, and then change to a $500 ticket, even if the changes are all free, you won’t get any money back when you make the first change, and then you’ll pay $200 when you make the second change. Therefore, if you find yourself in this situation, I suggest playing around with the various fare classes on United.com to see if you can find a fare that’s closer to what you already paid. If, instead, you changed from a $400 ticket to a $380 ticket and then to a $500 ticket, you’d only owe them an extra $120, rather than an extra $200.

Originally Posted by bluedemon211 (Post 32185104)
-Can I use a previously cancelled ticket for a new booking (with the normal $200 change fee) and then have the new ticket qualify as a no change fee booking?

Also “it depends,” but in most cases, yes. This is the corollary of the above rule: as long as your new ticket requires a reissue under currently-valid fares, and not historical fares, you’ll get the benefit of the new fares (but also the same ignore-residual-value rule). You can verify this with an agent, or, if you’re able to make the change online, by checking the fare rules before finalizing the purchase.

bluedemon211 Mar 14, 20 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32185223)
Like most things in airfare, it’s extremely complicated. The fares currently being offered allow for an unlimited number of changes. However, if the change that you want doesn’t fit all of the requirements of the original fare, and thus requires repricing, in many cases you’re going to be using current fares at the time of reissue. If UA is no longer offering this waiver at that point, that may reintroduce a change fee for subsequent changes. So the answer is, at least one free change will be allowed, but in some cases, that will be all you get, absent a new waiver being issued.

Also note that these fares call for any residual to be ignored, so if you change to a lower fare, the difference is kept by UA. So, if you buy a $400 ticket, and change to a $300 ticket, and then change to a $500 ticket, even if the changes are all free, you won’t get any money back when you make the first change, and then you’ll pay $200 when you make the second change. Therefore, if you find yourself in this situation, I suggest playing around with the various fare classes on United.com to see if you can find a fare that’s closer to what you already paid. If, instead, you changed from a $400 ticket to a $380 ticket and then to a $500 ticket, you’d only owe them an extra $120, rather than an extra $200.

Also “it depends,” but in most cases, yes. This is the corollary of the above rule: as long as your new ticket requires a reissue under currently-valid fares, and not historical fares, you’ll get the benefit of the new fares (but also the same ignore-residual-value rule). You can verify this with an agent, or, if you’re able to make the change online, by checking the fare rules before finalizing the purchase.

Thanks jsloan. Informative and timely as always :tu:

gmt4 Mar 14, 20 3:15 pm

Well, so with the new UK travel restrictions compounded with event cancellations that are ramping up in the UK, my events have now been cancelled there. I just cancelled about $5k worth of travel to the UK in late Mar and again in April. My travel was booked in Jan and Feb.

I got right thru on the 1K line. Rep was very friendly and helpful. No baloney, no hassle.

Only thing that slightly ticks me off is I'm essentially giving UA an interest free $5k loan until I can rebook and use my credits. Small potatoes considering the deaths globally and that airlines and people are fighting for their survival and jobs I guess.

PsiFighter37 Mar 14, 20 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 32184379)

That's a bit extreme. I went out for a 4-mile walk today (it's another gorgeous day out), and there were plenty of folks out. Maybe there weren't people at all the touristy spots, but otherwise foot traffic is par for the course in late winter / early spring in Manhattan.

ETA: When do folks think UA may start extending the waiver? My wife had another conference / retreat pushed from May to the fall now, so I now have a lot of tickets booked for mid-May to PBI that I have no use for at the moment.

Separately, I sure hope I can manage to spend all this UA credit I have effectively already booked before a year is up...it's thousands of dollars already...

Weatherboy Mar 14, 20 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 32185381)
ETA: When do folks think UA may start extending the waiver? My wife had another conference / retreat pushed from May to the fall now, so I now have a lot of tickets booked for mid-May to PBI that I have no use for at the moment.

I would think it's something they roll out gradually, perhaps in 2 week increments, to preserve cash flow and not strain available resources to change/cancel things. In one extreme, if they came out today and said "we're shutting down 'till July", I imagine their customer service & IT infrastructure would collapse at once.

wco81 Mar 14, 20 9:24 pm

So has anyone here had their flights canceled by UA?

How far in advance did they cancel?

Any hassles in getting a refund or do they try to get you to reschedule or take some credit first?

Or do YOU have to follow through with any reschedule or credit/refund requests?

What triggers a cancellation, because the US govt. gives a travel or health advisory of some kind? Or not enough passengers?

I'm exactly a month out. Some of my accommodations would have to be canceled soon if they cancel the flight.

LXFlyer Mar 14, 20 9:46 pm

So I have a flight with an outbound in April and a return in May. According to my travel agent, because the return is in May, it does not qualify for the (current) waiver -- is that correct? (Flight would've been to non-Schengen Europe, if that matters)