FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

glbltvlr Mar 13, 20 6:37 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj (Post 32178294)
What am I missing? Supposed to stop EU flights after today, but UA says continuing flights through March 20?

The details are a bit more nuanced than the headlines. You can read the details here but the tl;dr is that it isn't a ban on flights, it restricts the entry of non-residents that were in the Schengen area. The airlines will need to decide if the traffic levels warrant cancelling flights.

kirkwoodj Mar 13, 20 6:49 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32178308)
You are missing that this is not a ban on flights, but a ban on non-US citizens/LPR who have been in the Schengen area (not EU) from entering the US. No one told UA to stop flights to the EU.

Originally Posted by glbltvlr (Post 32178345)
The details are a bit more nuanced than the headlines. You can read the details here but the tl;dr is that it isn't a ban on flights, it restricts the entry of non-residents that were in the Schengen area. The airlines will need to decide if the traffic levels warrant cancelling flights.

Thanks! that's what I was missing! :)

ronin Mar 13, 20 6:51 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 32178201)
I waited 5 seconds yesterday and canceled an Itin within 2 minutes. 1K line. I must have gotten lucky.

Hats off to UA CS during these trying times.

Million Miler here, called the elite line at 7:22a EDT, recording estimated 27 minute wait, was an hour and 2 minutes. My return trip from ATH to IAD in April was now showing a -4:20 connection time in ZRH. Zurich may not be that big of an airport, but, even if I run, a negative four hour connection might be problematic, so I requested the entire rt itinerary be cxd for refund. Sir, we can waive the change fee and issue a credit good for a year. No, sorry, would just like a refund. Special permission needed, had to wait another 10 minutes for that to be granted.

Agents are very busy, and even in a clear case they aren't being empowered for discretionary decisions, which means supervisors, also are being taxed. My best to United staff in these troubled times.

Muerz Mar 13, 20 6:52 am

Does anyone know if they allow complete refunds for EU citizens booked during the travel ban?

dcsnowwake Mar 13, 20 7:20 am

AA cancels all euro flights until MAY!!!!!, DUB, MAN, LHR not affected.
When does domestic flights get grounded at this rate?

TravellingMan Mar 13, 20 7:21 am

I have couple of UA tickets where LH has cancelled their flights, the problem is that I have cancelled the UA CC that I used to buy it with. When I ask for a refund, what happens? Does it go back to the cancelled CC and Chase sends me a check? Or something else.

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 32178670)
It goes back to your original credit card, you call them up when it does - they will issue a check or transfer the balance to another card by same issuer if you like,.

djstrikkmaster Mar 13, 20 7:27 am

Originally Posted by CountZero (Post 32164859)
I was just told that any change/cancellation of award travel covered by the waiver dates will still incur a mileage redeposit fee, which seems like disastrously bad customer service and has lost UA my business whenever possible. Looks like I'm over to being a DL loyalist now

I'm late replying but I was supposed to fly to Vietnam on an award flight yesterday. We decided last week to cancel the trip. I was prepared to pay the fees but held off calling until the 10th. I saw that the initial leg of our flight was cancelled and called at that time. The agent waived all of our redeposit fees (the return flights were booked as two separate tickets. Someone should be able to work with you (assuming you haven't taken care of this yet.)

edgewood49 Mar 13, 20 7:34 am

I was able to cancel my trip to Italy for the first week of May and fully refunded EXCEPT for the Bernini Palace in Florence, they keep saying my reservation is not until May 10th, does anyone really think that we will back to any form of normalcy by the first week of May? Especially if your like me in a high risk grouping? Out of respect for the Italians I am not going to do anything until we April then if they still resist there is always Trip Advisor and FB. I hate t odd it.

rankourabu Mar 13, 20 7:52 am

Originally Posted by TravellingMan (Post 32178519)
I have couple of UA tickets where LH has cancelled their flights, the problem is that I have cancelled the UA CC that I used to buy it with. When I ask for a refund, what happens? Does it go back to the cancelled CC and Chase sends me a check? Or something else.

It goes back to your original credit card, you call them up when it does - they will issue a check or transfer the balance to another card by same issuer if you like,.

jsloan Mar 13, 20 9:04 am

Originally Posted by hedur (Post 32176989)
Are they charging the fee to cancel an award ticket if the cancellation was made by the airline? Earlier today when I went to cancel my flight online (that has already been cancelled by LH), it said I may have a $125 fee. I was hoping if I waited a bit they would update their system to waive the fee. They did update their system, but to indicate the fee could now be $150. Right now the call center wait time is over 2 hours so I was hoping someone here could shed some light. Thanks!

UA is trying very hard to keep from giving refunds. They are not going so far as to try to increase the redeposit fee, which would be contrary to DOT regulation anyway.

UA may try to rebook you on another flight. If that isn't possible, they will give you a refund at no charge. If you complain enough, they may refund anyway.

Otherwise, the strategy would be to cancel -- there's no fee for that -- and then use the miles later to book a new trip once things have settled down; the normal fee for reissuing the ticket would be waived under the change fee waiver that's currently in place.

Originally Posted by fatlasercat (Post 32177322)
Question about partially flown ticket (outbound flown, return next week). Can I just click cancel on the website and later call in to change the return to a later date (as long as the fare restrictions are met)? The reason I want to do this is I don't really know what I want to change to and also the call center seems to be a bit busy these days...

In theory, yes, although the online cancellation tools aren't always the best. What you're describing is within policy, though.

Originally Posted by mrtrickdk (Post 32177328)
I am in the same boat. UA award, but on LH441 from IAH-FRA on this Saturday in biz, which LH has cancelled. We just want to cancel and refund miles.
Will keep an eye out. UA hold times tonight was 2+ hours.

Same situation. UA may attempt to get you to accept a re-routing on UA-operated flights, but you can try asking for a refund and see what they say.

mrtrickdk Mar 13, 20 9:16 am

So UA is refusing to redeposit the miles. Booked for a flight tomorrow from US-FRA-BUD
The US-FRA-BUD is on LH. The LH flight from IAH-FRA has already been cancelled by LH. The domestic US-IAH flight is still a go.

The agent is only permitting a "travel credit", and the miles must be used within 1 year
WTH...?

jsloan Mar 13, 20 9:21 am

Originally Posted by mrtrickdk (Post 32179025)
The agent is only permitting a "travel credit", and the miles must be used within 1 year
WTH...?

Did they offer a re-route? Were the updated flight times similar? This is in line with UA's newest schedule change policy; they're desperately trying to hold onto cash. There have been several similar reports, but also quite a few reports of success from calling multiple times.

mrtrickdk Mar 13, 20 9:25 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32179051)
Did they offer a re-route? Were the updated flight times similar? This is in line with UA's newest schedule change policy; they're desperately trying to hold onto cash. There have been several similar reports, but also quite a few reports of success from calling multiple times.

They didn't offer a re-routing. After I told them "to put me on another flight with similar flight times and same business class space", they all of a sudden agreed to just redeposit miles into my account and waive all fees. Surprise surprise.
So advice: Be nice, but firm. And patient, took me 1 hour and 45 minutes to reach an agent today (no status with UA)

Kacee Mar 13, 20 9:26 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32179051)

That's not "trying to hold onto cash," that's trying to exploit a pandemic to extract more cash from their customers. It's really quite odious, particularly given that the State Department has already issued a warning not to travel overseas. UA wants its customers to pay $125 per ticket to heed that advice.

jsloan Mar 13, 20 9:28 am

Originally Posted by mrtrickdk (Post 32179071)
They didn't offer a re-routing. After I told them "to put me on another flight with similar flight times and same business class space", they all of a sudden agreed to just redeposit miles into my account and waive all fees. Surprise surprise.

That actually is a surprise, because they should have been more than willing to do that. Business class space on UA flights is plentiful right now. But I'm glad that you got the answer you were hoping for. :)