FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

sincx Mar 12, 20 3:47 pm

Is the united.com flight change feature not working for any one else?

zeer0 Mar 12, 20 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by sincx (Post 32176026)
Is the united.com flight change feature not working for any one else?

Broken for any flights I tried to change, whether domestic or international.

slippahs Mar 12, 20 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0 (Post 32176048)
Broken for any flights I tried to change, whether domestic or international.

couldn’t get anything changed this morning and had to make several calls to the 1K desk but both times luckily had no wait times.

zeer0 Mar 12, 20 3:52 pm

After spending over 3 hours on hold yesterday to change a flight, right now I called the 312 number and got through to an agent in 25 minutes. Agent even acknowledged my *G status which was a first.

Phillies Mar 12, 20 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by busyizzy (Post 32175890)
You don't get any fees charged when you cancel. It's when you try to rebook using that credit that you are assessed the fee. Not sure about other people but when I try to book a flight from travel credit that I canceled (booked before March 2, traveling in March), it includes the $200 change fee in the booking. No surprise their system hasn't updated to reflect the waivers at least for me. I tried on two different flight credits cuz I canceled 2 diff flights.

Oh. Didn't realize the fee would appear when I make a new booking. But the crazy thing is, even with a $200 change fee or even if it was $200 a ticket, I could still re book at a later time and save a bunch of money. I wonder if calling before rebooking the fee might be waived ? decisions decisions...

jsloan Mar 12, 20 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Phillies (Post 32176097)
Oh. Didn't realize the fee would appear when I make a new booking. But the crazy thing is, even with a $200 change fee or even if it was $200 a ticket, I could still re book at a later time and save a bunch of money. I wonder if calling before rebooking the fee might be waived ? decisions decisions...

The fee is supposed to be waived. The fact that it shows online is a mistake. If you call, there will be no fee.

Phillies Mar 12, 20 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32176109)
The fee is supposed to be waived. The fact that it shows online is a mistake. If you call, there will be no fee.

Oh nice. Thanks!

VegasGambler Mar 12, 20 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0 (Post 32176056)
After spending over 3 hours on hold yesterday to change a flight, right now I called the 312 number and got through to an agent in 25 minutes. Agent even acknowledged my *G status which was a first.

Usually, when I call, the phone system recognizes me and greets me by name. But now, when I call, it doesn't know who I am and asks me to enter my MP number, and tells me that I have a >60 minute wait (at which point I hang up, since it's not anything urgent -- I am due a refund that has not hit my CC yet, and I may want to change a flight in mid-april). My status is Platinum, FWIW.

jasonp622 Mar 12, 20 5:04 pm

the wait for the 1K line has been well north of an hour since the President shut down EU travel. my wife waited about 2.5 hours late last night

lindaiah Mar 12, 20 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32170434)
Booked after March 3? Was it a domestic or international ticket?

Most fares that I've seen published since March 3 state that if the new ticket is lower, United won't give you the residual amount back -- they just ignore (read "keep") it.

If they did actually issue an ETC, it's supposed to arrive in email, but frequently doesn't. You'd be able to apply it by calling and providing the confirmation number of the affected itinerary; it'd be linked in there. If they want to charge you a phone booking fee (thus eating up the credit), point out that you never received it and thus weren't able to book online.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...be660d3a74.png
This (domestic) trip was actually originally booked ON March 3. But it does show a $31 ETC amount (originally thought it was $32, but anyway...)

xudongsun Mar 12, 20 5:08 pm

It appears that the change fee is waived for all flights between Mar 9 and Apr 30 starting from yesterday.

Does anyone know if this applies retroactively to eligible flights cancelled before yesterday? Thanks!

jsloan Mar 12, 20 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by xudongsun (Post 32176345)
It appears that the change fee is waived for all flights between Mar 9 and Apr 30 starting from yesterday.

Does anyone know if this applies retroactively to eligible flights cancelled before yesterday? Thanks!

How long ago did you cancel?

It's worth a call, but if your rescheduled travel isn't immediate, you might wait a few days for the call volumes to go down, lest you spend an hour on hold only to be told no.

xudongsun Mar 12, 20 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32176407)
How long ago did you cancel?

It's worth a call, but if your rescheduled travel isn't immediate, you might wait a few days for the call volumes to go down, lest you spend an hour on hold only to be told no.

This Monday actually. Yes I'll call later. Thanks!

ual744777sta Mar 12, 20 6:08 pm

No Wait Times for HKG Call Center

If you have discounted or free calling to HKG, the HKG call center has zero wait times and just opened up.

+852 2810 1308

jb691809 Mar 12, 20 6:12 pm

I also had a long wait time when calling in (90 minutes) and I was not recognized by the automated system (I had to enter my MP for the first time in years).

I hung up and canceled an award flight via twitter. Took a couple of DMs over 30 minutes.