FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

emcampbe Mar 12, 20 12:29 pm

Just want some clarity.

I have a domestic flight for tomorrow afternoon, in which the event has been canceled. Booked prior to March 2, and a simple round trip for 2 adults and 1 child (paid seat). We are covered under the waiver for March/April travel booked pre-March 3.

Was hoping to wait as long as I could to cancel, in case of cancelation that can give me more
flexibility to fully refund (I know, even less likely now, but maybe thereís some sort of shot). Want to make sure there is no earlier than normal deadline to cancel our existing flights (ie, normally time of check in cutoff if weíre not checked in) to be valid for the waiver. I feel like either AA or DL requires you cancel your flight 24 hours prior to scheduled departure to waive the fee. Anything like that for United? Just want to be doubly sure.

Chevelter Mar 12, 20 12:41 pm

I recently had experience with buying two upgrades (one outbound, one return), the only difference is I didn't buy them via the pop-up offer immediately after ticketing (because work booked the ticket), I went into the reservation after it was booked and clicked "upgrade" and bought the upgrades that way. The cost was $851 for both, more than the economy ticket price of around $500. Everything I researched online said paid upgrades are non-refundable so I was prepared to lose the $ but when I cancelled the ticket online it listed the $851 as "Travel Options" and said it would be refunded to my credit card, which it was - yesterday it showed up.

fatlasercat Mar 12, 20 12:53 pm

Looking at seat maps for FRA-SFO today and tomorrow. Plenty of seats available in coach, only the earlier flight tmr (3/13) is fairly full. Aren't people trying to get out? Or EU citizens cancelling frees up a lot of space?
3/14 seat maps are almost completely empty...

RedElmo Mar 12, 20 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by fatlasercat (Post 32175298)
Looking at seat maps for FRA-SFO today and tomorrow. Plenty of seats available in coach, only the earlier flight tmr (3/13) is fairly full. Aren't people trying to get out? Or EU citizens cancelling frees up a lot of space?

They havenít canceled one of the flights and consolidated it to one plane?

lincolnjkc Mar 12, 20 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Chevelter (Post 32175247)
I recently had experience with buying two upgrades (one outbound, one return), the only difference is I didn't buy them via the pop-up offer immediately after ticketing (because work booked the ticket), I went into the reservation after it was booked and clicked "upgrade" and bought the upgrades that way. The cost was $851 for both, more than the economy ticket price of around $500. Everything I researched online said paid upgrades are non-refundable so I was prepared to lose the $ but when I cancelled the ticket online it listed the $851 as "Travel Options" and said it would be refunded to my credit card, which it was - yesterday it showed up.

Cool -- that's similar to what I did (event's TA booked the ticket, once it was ticketed I upgraded via the reservation. Since I'm still not clear what they're planning to do with the ticket (cancel it, change dates, etc.) I guess I'll wait for that to happen and then call UA and beg if I have to.

TBH, the upgrade cost was fairly low (the only reason I bought it vs. applying some of my bounty of PlusPoint) so if it is forfeited it won't really "hurt" but still like to avoid throwing away money if I can :)

fatlasercat Mar 12, 20 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by RedElmo (Post 32175367)
They havenít canceled one of the flights and consolidated it to one plane?

Not yet, most (but not all) LH flights seem to be cancelled starting 3/14

findark Mar 12, 20 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by fatlasercat (Post 32175298)

Ban only applies to non-citizens (etc) and also I doubt all that many people were in Europe to begin with.

jrosen12 Mar 12, 20 2:00 pm

COVID19 / Mileage Rebooking Fees? (YES to redposit BUT NO fee to rebook)

Sorry but I couldn't find a specific update to the issues of Mileage Rebooking Fees in the era of COVID. Every other cancellation/rebooking fee seems to be waived...

Have a flights next week ORD <--> EWR purchased on miles.
Silver status.
Should I still expect to pay $100/ticket fee to redeposit miles when I cancel?

If this has changed or other have experience with this issue could someone please reply?
Advice?
Would be great if it could be done online rather than having to negotiate or HUCA with agents who have more important things to do right now...

As a physician... Be safe out there everyone.

CPRich Mar 12, 20 2:49 pm

Three calls disconnected after 90+ minutes, multiple tweets, multiple DMs - absolutely nothing.

Is there any way to actually talk to UA? They were very responsive when they took my money.

dinoscool3 Mar 12, 20 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 32175778)
Three calls disconnected after 90+ minutes, multiple tweets, multiple DMs - absolutely nothing.

Is there any way to actually talk to UA? They were very responsive when they took my money.

I got through earlier today without a wait, but when I called even earlier it cited a 25min wait.

Phillies Mar 12, 20 2:50 pm

I'm not sure if anyone posted about this but has anyone who booked before March 3rd tried cancelling and get a travel credit for the money that was spent ? There seems to be no fees or penalties in doing that from what I can tell.

CPRich Mar 12, 20 2:56 pm

That's what I'm trying to do. Wish I could answer your question, but....

findark Mar 12, 20 3:07 pm

Reports so far are yes you pay the redeposit fee, but you don't have to. You can simply cancel without a redeposit as long as you use the miles for something else by changing the ticket (fee will be waived) within its validity. Same as cash.

busyizzy Mar 12, 20 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Phillies (Post 32175788)
I'm not sure if anyone posted about this but has anyone who booked before March 3rd tried cancelling and get a travel credit for the money that was spent ? There seems to be no fees or penalties in doing that from what I can tell.

You don't get any fees charged when you cancel. It's when you try to rebook using that credit that you are assessed the fee. Not sure about other people but when I try to book a flight from travel credit that I canceled (booked before March 2, traveling in March), it includes the $200 change fee in the booking. No surprise their system hasn't updated to reflect the waivers at least for me. I tried on two different flight credits cuz I canceled 2 diff flights.

CPRich Mar 12, 20 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Phillies (Post 32175788)

I finally got through. The original flight was booked n December, then changed on Feb. 27. They cancelled it and I now have a credit for the amount of the flight on Feb. 27 to be used for flights and a credit for the seat upgrade fees I paid, to be used only for seat upgrades. The credits cannot be mixed - upgrading for an international redeye was a bit more valuable that upgrading any potential flights she may take, so that money's probably wasted.

She has up until the original December date to travel and use the credit.

The agent claimed the fare differential from my Feb change should have been refunded, but I don't see it on my credit card. Her only advice was to wait, as it sometimes takes 7 business days. Which she then changed to 14 business days. Then said "a max of 20 business days". I had expected a credit, not a refund. Refund will be nice, though as of now I have neither.