FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

coolbeans202 Mar 12, 20 7:32 am

Originally Posted by zoomgirl (Post 32172206)
Currently in the Seychelles, and have a United award flight booked home Saturday/Sunday routing through FRA. Any wisdom from the FT crowd? How did it work with the China ban? Did United cancel all of their China-US flights immediately, or did a few still fly, but with less passengers?

We’re assuming we could get stuck in Frankfurt (our flight from Africa to Europe is on LH from ADD), but that some flights will need to fly out to get Americans home from Europe or other locations?

I'm not sure what your final destination is, but I see saver biz space on Saturday's ADD-IAD ET flight, I'd try to rebook on that if possible.

onthesam Mar 12, 20 7:51 am

Book online. Seek to recover refund later.

jsloan Mar 12, 20 8:34 am

Originally Posted by britNY (Post 32173587)
So I want to move my March MNL Trip to later in the year to December Will united allow at no cost even if I booked it in 2019?

Yes; that falls within the parameters of the existing worldwide travel waiver.

Originally Posted by britNY (Post 32173587)
Also my outbound leg is upgraded to PZ using miles, Will they honor the upgrade if rebooking for a later date?

Likely not.

Chalmers3716 Mar 12, 20 8:39 am

American citizen currently overseas. I need to return from Spain in May. I realize this is currently outside the window, but given the immediacy of the announcement, and the fact that things seem likely to keep getting worse before better, I expect that to be extended.

Would you all recommend booking flights ASAP, and hoping they don't get cancelled, or waiting until something more definitive is said regarding my travel timeframe (I'd be flying BCN-STL, so obviously no nonstops, but also some seasonal routes that may get cancelled, etc).

Also, any benefit to booking via cash vs. miles?

Phillies Mar 12, 20 8:44 am

I posted yesterday about my EWR to LHR flight I booked last month that is now about $700 cheaper in total price. I went on my account and there was an option to cancel with all the money going towards any future flight. Nothing was stated about any fees. My miles for the Polaris upgrade would also be deposited with no apparent fee. I'm guessing there would be nothing stopping me from doing that and then rebooking the same flight at the cheaper price ? And the extra money can just be used towards a future flight? Of course that is assuming things don't get worse by June...

tmj143 Mar 12, 20 9:01 am

I booked through a third party (am supposed to fly IAD-LIS via ZRH tomorrow) and am having zero luck in getting through to customer service so far. Anyone know what happens if I'm a no show/if I can still rebook under this new policy? And if I've got any chance at getting taxes back if I cancel, or can get United credit, as I have no idea when I can actually book this trip again? Flight is still on as far as I can tell, so I'm worried I'm just going to lose everything because I can't rebook.

britNY Mar 12, 20 9:06 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32174092)
Yes; that falls within the parameters of the existing worldwide travel waiver.

Likely not.

just called UA and tried to book for later in the year. They quoted a huge infeasible fare difference and will not refund as no waivers in effect for Japan or Manila. The only option I have is flight credit. I want a rebook at no cost or a full refund.

in other news metro Manila now on lockdown so not sure if that changes anything.

dundili Mar 12, 20 9:07 am

COVID AC metal UA ticket

Ticket is CDG-YYZ-CLT roundtrip ticketed by UA, AC metal.

Outbound leg was flown in February. Inbound to CDG is scheduled next week. Seems like a bad time to go back to Europe.

Neither website allows changes, and says to call the other since the trip is already in progress. Who should I call and wait a few hours to talk to, fellow flyers? Any help is greatly appreciated.

narvik Mar 12, 20 9:11 am

Hypothetical question: what would happen if UA (or any other airline) ignores the "halted flights" directive, and flies anyway?

jsloan Mar 12, 20 9:16 am

Originally Posted by tmj143 (Post 32174236)
Anyone know what happens if I'm a no show/if I can still rebook under this new policy?

Generally, no; if you no-show, you won't be able to rebook.

Originally Posted by tmj143 (Post 32174236)
And if I've got any chance at getting taxes back if I cancel, or can get United credit, as I have no idea when I can actually book this trip again? Flight is still on as far as I can tell, so I'm worried I'm just going to lose everything because I can't rebook.

You will be able to get United credit, assuming you can get through to someone prior to departure.

Originally Posted by britNY (Post 32174259)
just called UA and tried to book for later in the year. They quoted a huge infeasible fare difference and will not refund as no waivers in effect for Japan or Manila. The only option I have is flight credit. I want a rebook at no cost or a full refund.

Wait; the situation changes on a daily basis, See if they issue a waiver.

Originally Posted by britNY (Post 32174259)
in other news metro Manila now on lockdown so not sure if that changes anything.

Not in and of itself, but it may lead UA to issue a waiver.

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 32174286)
Hypothetical question: what would happen if UA (or any other airline) ignores the "halted flights" directive, and flies anyway?

Nothing; flights haven't been halted. But they'd be fined extensively for every ineligible passenger they allowed on board -- so they could basically only transport US citizens and green-card holders once the Europe ban takes effect.

WormGod Mar 12, 20 9:23 am

Originally Posted by drewdawg199 (Post 32170081)
Apologies if this has been asked already, but say I have an award flight (booked last year) on UA metal that is scheduled to depart in mid-April. Can I use the waiver to change the flight to a distant date, and then request it be cancelled at a later time and redeposited for no charge as a Platinum (>61 days before the new departure date)?
Thanks

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32170090)
That should be possible, yes.

Would this also work if I am Gold and my wife is Platinum? Does it matter who booked the ticket, or just that a Platinum is on the reservation?
Also, what about tickets purchased during the March waiver period?

Kacee Mar 12, 20 9:26 am

Originally Posted by WormGod (Post 32174341)

It depends on whose miles they are. But I would not count on being able to game the system the way you describe. The reservation will carry the prior history.

Originally Posted by WormGod (Post 32174341)

UA is waiving change fees, but not redeposit fees.

Weatherboy Mar 12, 20 9:50 am

It'd be easier to update the FAQ to list flights to Asia/Europe that UA is still actually flying.

username Mar 12, 20 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32174362)
...UA is waiving change fees, but not redeposit fees.

I have a really cool Europe trip put together end of May on miles. It is probably out of the window now. I wonder if someone decided they are doing things this way to get as much $125 as they can or they just have not thought about it yet.

With dynamic award pricing, the new tickets might cause a different number of miles, for example. How will that work if you choose to re-use instead of redeposit?

jsloan Mar 12, 20 9:59 am

Originally Posted by username (Post 32174509)
With dynamic award pricing, the new tickets might cause a different number of miles, for example. How will that work if you choose to re-use instead of redeposit?

Unless UA issues a waiver that covers differences in fare, UA would collect the fare difference -- in the form of extra miles -- when you rebook.