Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
By 2023, UA has returned to the more traditional pre-COVID schedule update process. There are still some closer in changes but far less than during the COVID era.

UA publishes a schedule for 330 days in advance (called Beginning of Schedule) and in the past would make tweaks quarterly and things would be fairly settles 3-4 months out. Updates would occur Friday evening / Saturday morning (Chicago time). Routine additions could occur anytime.

Present updates are every Friday and sometimes mid-week usually focused on the next month and farther out.
Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

20 Oct 2021
Originally Posted by EWR764
In the earnings call today, UA noted that has been transitioning back to its 'normal' (pre-pandemic) 90-day schedule load process, which should be complete in the very near future.
However, during the COVID era, UA has gone to a more dynamic and shorter-term setting of schedule (as has the other carriers). Presently UA, while UA is still publishing a schedule for 330 days in advance it reflects pre-COVID operational levels and is considered just a placeholder schedule. Then 3-5 weeks prior to a month, UA makes a major update of that month's schedule.

Examples (Major updates)
The October 2020 schedule was updated 4-5 September 2020
The November 2020 schedule was updated 2-3 October 2020
The December 2020 schedule was updated 30-31 October 2020
Holidays can move the major date a week earlier or later.
Weekly updates are still generally done over night Friday-Saturday (Chicago)

UA does not publish a summary of most schedule changes but a variety of sources below do and summaries / links of those sources can be found in this thread & wiki.

Always crosscheck with UA's Travel Notices , Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel waivers and information, www.united.com/coronavirus as the situation is dynamic

Other Resources and Statistics
Archive: COVID19 UA-Schedule {Archive}
new Archive : UA-Schedule changes {Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA System Schedule changes

Old Aug 15, 2023, 10:12 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Had TPAC change for January, makes connection a little shorter, but not uncomfortably so.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 6:03 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Just got notification from AC that UA123 (morning LHR-IAD) was cancelled, and I've been rebooked on UA919 non-stop. Seems to have been reticketed as well, impressive for a partner award.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
UA has been running quite a few TATL and in particular LHR changes recently. Glad it all worked out.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 10:10 pm

Was there a recent schedule change for international flights out of EWR? I was looking to book an itinerary in PY that involved a nonstop EWR > HKG (UA 179) in December 2023, but this itinerary can no longer be found on United's site.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sports1
Was there a recent schedule change for international flights out of EWR? I was looking to book an itinerary in PY that involved a nonstop EWR > HKG (UA 179) in December 2023, but this itinerary can no longer be found on United's site.
UA hasn't operated EWR-HKG since pre-COVID and there's no reason to think they will start until / unless Russian airspace reopens.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
UA hasn't operated EWR-HKG since pre-COVID and there's no reason to think they will start until / unless Russian airspace reopens.
Yeah that's why I was a little surprised when I was browsing for flights. Saw it on Google Flights, confirmed it could be booked via United's site. I just didn't pull the trigger yet since I was trying to lock down dates.

It definitely was a bookable revenue fare, I had the price changes saved on GFlights - it was actually YYZ-EWR-HKG RT, with the EWR-HKG on UA179 and UA180 late December.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sports1
Yeah that's why I was a little surprised when I was browsing for flights. Saw it on Google Flights, confirmed it could be booked via United's site. I just didn't pull the trigger yet since I was trying to lock down dates.
Sorry, I probably should have added more detail. They’ve been keeping it on the schedule and progressively removing it a couple of months / a season at a time.
SPN Lifer and sports1 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 3:44 am

When do UA Schedule Change usually happen?

Does anyone have any insight or have noticed any patterns regarding when United usually makes schedule changes? For example, for the Nov-Dec schedule between NYC (LGA,EWR) and IAD, when is it usually finalized/ changed? I want to only book when I have a good idea of the schedule given that United only has 6X daily for IAD-LGA right now for the fall schedule but has 9X scheduled for the winter, which seems like a huge jump to me. Feel free to jump in with your thoughts. Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2023, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethanaviation
Does anyone have any insight or have noticed any patterns regarding when United usually makes schedule changes? For example, for the Nov-Dec schedule between NYC (LGA,EWR) and IAD, when is it usually finalized/ changed? I want to only book when I have a good idea of the schedule given that United only has 6X daily for IAD-LGA right now for the fall schedule but has 9X scheduled for the winter, which seems like a huge jump to me. Feel free to jump in with your thoughts. Thanks!
Final cuts to Sep/Oct IAD-LGA schedule to 6x daily were made this past weekend (they had already been reduced to 7x daily prior to this past weekend). Most changes to EWR schedule this past weekend were only to Oct schedule as Sep schedule is probably pretty well set. The exceptions were EWR-BOS and EWR-DCA flights which saw some cuts to both Sep and Oct schedules. I'd expect Nov/Dec schedules for IAD-LGA to be finalized by end of next month.
ethanaviation likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
Final cuts to Sep/Oct IAD-LGA schedule to 6x daily were made this past weekend (they had already been reduced to 7x daily prior to this past weekend). Most changes to EWR schedule this past weekend were only to Oct schedule as Sep schedule is probably pretty well set. The exceptions were EWR-BOS and EWR-DCA flights which saw some cuts to both Sep and Oct schedules. I'd expect Nov/Dec schedules for IAD-LGA to be finalized by end of next month.
Wow thanks for the amazingly helpful insight! Do you know if the 7am departure for LGA-IAD is likely to stick? I'm skeptical because there's already a 6 am LGA-IAD and that was the one that's flying for the Sep/Oct schedule, but @xliioper you may know better. Thank you!
Old Aug 24, 2023, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethanaviation
I want to only book when I have a good idea of the schedule
If your choice is United or another carrier, then I suppose this makes some amount of sense — although UA will give a refund when there’s an arrival or departure change of more than two hours.

If your choice is which United flight, this really makes no sense at all, as if you book a flight that you like, and they eliminate it, you can pick any other flight on the same day for no additional charge.

The only reason I wouldn’t be booking for November / December right now is that, with the exception of holiday travel, it’s a couple of months too early to expect UA’s best prices. But I certainly wouldn’t be worried about a schedule change, as a schedule change is pretty much all upside.
mikeyf, 8MiHi and ethanaviation like this.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got more December/January schedule changes last night. Pretty minor compared to the earlier changes.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
If your choice is United or another carrier, then I suppose this makes some amount of sense — although UA will give a refund when there’s an arrival or departure change of more than two hours.

If your choice is which United flight, this really makes no sense at all, as if you book a flight that you like, and they eliminate it, you can pick any other flight on the same day for no additional charge.

The only reason I wouldn’t be booking for November / December right now is that, with the exception of holiday travel, it’s a couple of months too early to expect UA’s best prices. But I certainly wouldn’t be worried about a schedule change, as a schedule change is pretty much all upside.
agree, schedule changes are a good opportunity to make a change. Could be to your advantage if you want a higher priced peak flight, and can book a flight that has been on the chopping block, as if that trend continues, an agent will chnage you to the peak flight at no cost.

also probably good to point out that even purchasing a [non-be] fare that drops later, you can just ‘re-book’ to get a credit for the difference. It’s not cash back, sure, but if you’re not sure, this is a good fallback, so long as you regularly fly UA. In fact, sitting on $900+ in credits for the fam right now due to a summer flight to SIN dropping.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lots of January changes last night. Ugh.

Incl. some good ones. DEN-SFO 739 --> 789
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got more January schedule changes last night ... that is #4 for that particular ticket. Kind of surprised UA keeps re-working their schedule that often ... is Covid back?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.