Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID19 UA-More Suspensions,Reductions;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 30Apr

COVID19 UA-More Suspensions,Reductions;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 30Apr

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 7, 20, 1:15 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Always crosscheck with UA's Travel Notices and www.united.com/coronavirus as the situation is dynamic
United Offers Customers Booked for Travel Through the End of 2020 Flexibility to Change Their Trips
Between Now and April 30, All Change Fees Waived for Travel Through End of Year

CHICAGO, April 7, 2020
-- United announced today that customers can make changes to, or cancel, any travel they have booked through the end of the year without fees if they act between now and April 30.

Many customers' previous plans for travel, including summer vacations, conferences and events have changed or are uncertain due to the COVID-19 outbreak. To help with the uncertainty around their future travel, customers who wish to change their dates of travel can do so without paying a change fee. Customers who wish to cancel their travel can request an Electronic Travel Certificate (ETC) for the full value of their ticket. United recently extended the expiration dates for all ETCs to 24 months from their date of issue.

This new level of flexibility is in addition to United's existing policy allowing anyone booking travel between March 3 – April 30 for future dates to change their tickets at no cost over the next 12 months.

United Reinstates Some International Flights Across the Globe to Help Customers Get Where they Need to Be

CHICAGO, March 21, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- While travel demand continues to drop and United continues to adjust its schedules accordingly, the airline knows some people around the globe are displaced and still need to get home. While United's international schedule will still be reduced by about 90% in April, the airline will continue flying six daily operations to and from the following destinations – covering Asia, Australia, Latin America, the Middle East and Europe – in an effort to get customers where they need to be. This remains a fluid situation, but United continues to play a role in connecting people and uniting the world, especially in these challenging times.

Flights continuing from now through May schedule
  • Newark/New York – Frankfurt (Flights 960/961)
  • Newark/New York – London (Flights 16/17)
  • Newark/New York – Tel Aviv (Flights 90/91)
  • Houston – Sao Paulo (Flights 62/63)
  • San Francisco – Tokyo-Narita (Flights 837/838)
  • San Francisco – Sydney (Flights 863/870)
In addition to the above, United has reinstated the following flights to help displaced customers who still need to get home.

Flights through 3/27 outbound
  • Newark/New York – Amsterdam (Flights 70/71)
  • Newark/New York – Munich (Flights 30/31)
  • Newark/New York – Brussels (Flights 999/998)
  • Washington-Dulles – London (Flights 918/919)
  • San Francisco – Frankfurt (Flights 58/59)
  • Newark/New York – Sao Paulo (Flights 149/148)
Flights through 3/29 outbound
  • San Francisco – Seoul (Flights 893/892)
In destinations where government actions have barred us from flying, we are actively looking for ways to bring customers who have been impacted by travel restrictions back to the United States. This includes working with the U.S. State Department and the local governments to gain permission to operate service.
United Airlines Continues Draw Down of International Schedule
CHICAGO, March 20, 2020 /PRNewswire/
-- United continues to aggressively manage the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak on our employees, our customers and our business. Due to government mandates or restrictions in place prohibiting travel, the airline is reducing its international schedule by 95% for April. The revised international schedule will be viewable on united.com on Sunday, March 22:

Atlantic
  • United is drawing down its remaining trans-Atlantic operation. The final westbound departures will take place on March 25, with the exception of its Cape Town-New York/Newark service which will operate as previously scheduled with the last flight departing Cape Town on March 28.
Pacific
  • United will reduce its remaining trans-Pacific operation starting March 22, with final eastbound departures on March 25, with the exception of service between San Francisco and Tahiti and San Francisco and Sydney which will have final returns to San Francisco on March 28.
  • United will maintain some Guam flights as well as a portion of its Island Hopper service.
Latin America
  • United will reduce its Mexico operation over the next five days. After March 24, it will only maintain a small number of daytime flights to certain destinations in Mexico.
  • United will draw down its remaining Central and South America operations. The last southbound departures will take place March 24.
Canada
  • United will temporarily suspend all flying to Canada effective April 1.
In destinations where government actions have barred us from flying, we are actively looking for ways to bring customers who have been impacted by travel restrictions back to the United States. This includes working with the U.S. State Department and the local governments to gain permission to operate service.
United Airlines Further Reduces Domestic and International Schedules
March 17, 2020

CHICAGO, March 17, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- United continues to aggressively manage the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak on our employees, our customers and our business. Due to a continued drop in travel demand as a result of this outbreak and government mandates or restrictions in place prohibiting travel, the airline today announced a 60 percent schedule reduction in April - this includes a 42 percent reduction across the U.S. and Canada and an 85 percent decrease in international flights.

Domestic

While United does not plan to suspend service to any single U.S. city now - with the exception of Mammoth Lakes, CA - the airline is closely monitoring demand as well as changes in state and local curfews and government restrictions across the U.S. and will adjust its schedule accordingly throughout the month.

30 March
No change fees for new bookings
We know people are taking a second look at their travel plans right now, and we want you to have flexibility when planning your next trip — that’s why when you book a flight with us by April 30, 2020, you can change it for free over the next 12 months. See Terms and conditions

Tickets: For tickets issued March 3 through April 30, 2020, customers will be permitted to change free of charge to a flight of equal or lesser value for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change for free but no residual value will be given. If the customer decides to cancel their flight, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without fee for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date.

Cancellations: If the customer decides to cancel the flight they booked between March 3 and April 30, 2020, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without fee for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date

Fare Validity: This applies to all tickets, all fare types, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016.

Minimum Stay: No minimum stay.

Blackout Dates: No blackout dates.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Fares are nonrefundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.
17 March

Travel from Europe

In order to assist customers departing Europe, we have capped fares to the United States from countries affected by the government-imposed travel policy. If you're scheduled to travel March 10 – April 30, 2020, and would like to change your plans, there is no fee to do so, regardless of when you purchased your ticket or where you're traveling. See waiver details

We will continue to fly our regular schedule from Europe to the U.S. through March 20, except Houston-London and Denver-London, which we’re suspending after March 16. From March 20 through the end of April, we expect to fly three daily flights to London and have daily service to Amsterdam, Brussels, Dublin, Paris and Zurich. We’ll also maintain multiple flights to Frankfurt and Munich, along with four flights a week to Lisbon.

We will continue to follow the situation in Europe closely and make any changes necessary.
International RefundsOur schedules remain fluid and as a result, we have waived change fees for any customer scheduled to travel through May 31, regardless of when they purchased their ticket or where they are traveling. As our international schedules evolve due to government mandates and restrictions, we are working to assist impacted customers in a way that is flexible and fair.

Our goal remains to automatically rebook as many customers as possible within 6 hours of their originally scheduled flight. For any customer whose international travel is cancelled or disrupted by more than 6 hours because of schedule changes resulting from government restrictions, they will retain a travel credit equal to the value of their ticket. That credit can be used towards any flight, to any destination, for 12 months from the time of purchase. If the customer chooses not to use the credit, they will receive a refund to their original form of payment at the end of that 12-month period. Importantly, this new way of helping customers manage through changing flight schedules also applies to residents from other countries that effectively can no longer travel to the U.S. because they would face a 14-day quarantine upon arrival as well as customers impacted by more broadly by government-mandated travel restrictions or quarantines. In addition, this change also maintains our ability to manage our business through this evolving and difficult set of circumstances.

International travel advisories and waivers

For more information about international travel:

Flight suspensions and schedule reductions

By Presidential Proclamation, the United States is currently denying entry to non-U.S. citizens who have visited or transited through the People’s Republic of China, the Islamic Republic of Iran or certain countries in Europe within the last 14 days, unless you are a lawful permanent resident. Travel-restricted countries include Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

Customers who are U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents or immediate family members of U.S. citizens will be subject to additional health screenings on arrival to the United States. The CDC also advises that travelers returning from these countries in Europe must stay home for 14 days and monitor their health after returning to the U.S. Non-U.S. citizens who have visited the countries listed above in the past 14 days will not be allowed to enter the United States.

After evaluating our operations between the U.S. and Beijing, Chengdu, Hong Kong and Shanghai, we’ve decided to suspend those flights through April 30. We’ve also suspended ticket sales for MileagePlus Award travel and flights originating in China or Iran on our partner airlines through April 30.

We're taking additional steps to reduce our international and domestic schedules in ways that minimize the impact to our customers. We're also in close contact with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other health organizations as we continue to evaluate the situation.
Summary
Service to PEK, PVG, CTU plus HKG suspend until 30 April 2020
Waivers for ICN until 30 June 2020, Northern Italy until 30 April 2020
Flight Reductions NRT, KIX, ICN, SPG, .. until late April 2020; Downguage TPE thru April 2020
Change fees removed for 1-30 March 2020 bookings for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date
All change fees waived for tickets issued on or before March 2, 2020 thru 31 May 2020
Additional reductions to Europe starting 20 March
Suspensions IAH-EZE 16 March 2020 & ORD/IAD-GRU 1 April 2020, numerous schedule reductions for Mexico, South & Central America
UA to cut system capacity by 60% for April and May
Will parking some widebody jets

=========================================

Other Resources and Statistics

================================================== ========================
Spoiler

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 23, 20, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I suspect that if you called up and said that you wanted to change your ticket to PEK because you had a separate onward ticket to WUH, you'd probably get an agent to allow you a free change. A free refund -- probably not without a waiver. But, changing the ticket to go somewhere else, and paying the fare difference? You might need to HUCA once or twice, but I suspect you could find someone to make an exception.
I think it depends on what is on the PNR - I build my PNRs with all of the segments listed, regardless of the airline, and then issue multiple tickets by a collection of segments, but there is one complete PNR with everything listed. In this case, I think there is a better chance of getting UA, or any airline, to do a change, but if the WUH ticket isn't visible to the agent, it's less likely they will cooperate, and if the WUH segment is by train, there is even less of a chance they will cooperate.
Old Jan 23, 20, 1:25 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0io...ature=youtu.be
some real footage here.
Situation is very dire now.
They are building massive temporary cargo hospital now. It is supposed to be a temporary hospital, but it`s more likely a mass grave if situation got worse.
First line medical workers are only getting 1 x mask a day without fully protective gears.
Old Jan 23, 20, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by bigbellymonkey View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0io...ature=youtu.be
some real footage here.
Situation is very dire now.
They are building massive temporary cargo hospital now. It is supposed to be a temporary hospital, but it`s more likely a mass grave if situation got worse.
First line medical workers are only getting 1 x mask a day without fully protective gears.
Masks are useless except for trying to control some of the outbound shedding of virus from affected people, they don't filter what you breath in - if you're traveling to the area and are concerned about exposure, I would suggest investing in a few 3M N100 masks (sold on Amazon, or you might find something similar at Home Depot or a pharmacy) which will filter 100% of the air that you're breathing in - of course you still need to avoid touching your eyes, nose, etc with unwashed hands.
Old Jan 23, 20, 1:54 pm

It is not practical to wear N95 -or N100 I have lived in Taiwan during SARS and I used to wear those N95 to school everyday. After 10-15 mins wearing those thing, I always had to adjust them or move them around. For normal people, surgical mask is enough. As far as I know, this virus is not airborne
Old Jan 23, 20, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.9 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Change tickets

I will call United late today about changing tickets to return to US earlier. One of them is an award ticket in IN class. The first segment is on Air China. The rest are on UA. I do not find any IN spaces on UA and there is no CA saver economy on the first segment in the next 2-3 days. Is there any chance that United will open IN space on its own metal? If so, I do not mind flying out of PVG on UA instead of Hangzhou (therefore, avoiding CA).

My other ticket has a PVG-LAX upgrade cleared. I do not know that UA will put me on Polaris if I am allowed to change departure date.
Old Jan 23, 20, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
I will call United late today about changing tickets to return to US earlier. One of them is an award ticket in IN class. The first segment is on Air China. The rest are on UA. I do not find any IN spaces on UA and there is no CA saver economy on the first segment in the next 2-3 days. Is there any chance that United will open IN space on its own metal? If so, I do not mind flying out of PVG on UA instead of Hangzhou (therefore, avoiding CA).

My other ticket has a PVG-LAX upgrade cleared. I do not know that UA will put me on Polaris if I am allowed to change departure date.
Both of these are possible in theory, but may be difficult without UA expanding the travel waiver first.
Old Jan 23, 20, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
So ... I flew into PVG late last night (Thursday) and will be flying out of there on Saturday morning. Things I noticed different from the usual customs, immigration, and inspections:
  1. No thermal temperature checking equipment before approaching the Immigration channels. My guess is that the device was taken from there and moved to the front of the airport (where they check for explosive devices before letting you proceed to ticketing). I can verify this is the case on Saturday morning.
  2. About 85% of the people were wearing surgical or "fashion" masks; I saw only one 3M N95 type of mask.
  3. Post-luggage pick-up *everyone* was having *every* bag scanned at the final inspection point. This is probably to ensure no new potential pathogen carrying goods or items are being brought into the country. (In the past half the people would scan their bags at this last inspection, but usually backpacks and handbags were exempt ... not yesterday!)
Rumor has it that it is advised to arrive at the airport now four hours before your flight due to new health screens upon leaving. While this might be a bad inconvenience (especially for me as I now will need to arrive at the airport just before 5pm ...) it seems like a wise step to prevent those who might be ill not to fly. (Why don't we do this more often and all over the world at airports and train stations?!)

Hopefully things will go smoothly tomorrow (Saturday) so I can enjoy the Chinese New Year abroad and away from any airborne illnesses! ...before, of course, coming back to mainland China for work. Ugggh.
Old Jan 23, 20, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFHokie View Post
Hopefully things will go smoothly tomorrow (Saturday) so I can enjoy the Chinese New Year abroad and away from any airborne illnesses!
(bolding mine)

Oh yeah, where's that?

I am in and out of PEK three times in the next 8 days. Hopefully UA still flies to PEK.
SFHokie likes this.
Old Jan 23, 20, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Both of these are possible in theory, but may be difficult without UA expanding the travel waiver first.
Thanks.
I called 1K line, and the best that they could do was to waive the change fees but not the fare differences. I should wait for an expansion of waiver or take the originally book flights. The fare differences are huge. (100K miles for the award ticket).
Old Jan 23, 20, 6:32 pm

Location: UAL PP/2MM, SPG LT PLT75, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
I am supposed to travel IAH-EWR-HKG roundtrip departing on Tuesday. I have my fingers crossed that by then I can change my ticket without penalty to something in April. I got an incredible deal and would hate to refund it outright (even thought it is a fully refundable ticket, I'd still like to fly the route assuming this dies down within a few months).
Old Jan 23, 20, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by deskover54 View Post
they should issue a waiver for all china airports.
If there's a problem in Chicago, do you expect United to issue a waiver for every airport in the US?

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Masks are useless except for trying to control some of the outbound shedding of virus from affected people
The only real use for most masks is to prevent you from directly touching your mouth or nose with contaminated hands.
Old Jan 23, 20, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
If there's a problem in Chicago, do you expect United to issue a waiver for every airport in the US?
If there were an issue at MKE or FWA, I would expect UA to issue a waiver for ORD. If there were an issue at MRY or SMF or RNO, I would expect waivers for SFO and maybe LAX. It's entirely reasonable for someone to come from halfway around the world, land at LAX, and then intend to drive to near MRY or RNO. Because of China's HSR network, it is extremely easy (and common) to land at an airport 500 km from your destination and you can easily be at your destination by the end of the day.
Old Jan 23, 20, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
The answer depends upon what problem you talk about. For the coronavirus spread problem in China, it is huge because 30% of Wuhan population could travel to other parts of the country via public transportation before Chinese New Year. For my hometown, which is a thousand miles away, there are many people (10,000) returning from Wuhan. Thanks for “big data,” these people are tracked down and their activity will be restricted and monitored. Public gatherings are cancelled and we just stay home to be on the safe side.
Nevertheless, I still wish that UA will issue travel waiver for three Chinese airports, PVG, PEK and CTU.

Last edited by Kmxu; Jan 23, 20 at 7:55 pm
Old Jan 23, 20, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Just got off the phone with an Expedia supervisor who said an UA agent told him United will be updating the travel waiver to include more cities and dates on Monday. Not sure if that's true I'll keep an eye on things.
Old Jan 23, 20, 8:35 pm

I just called UA agent and she said I'll get full refund w/o cancellation fee because it was going to China (PEK). Let's see if I will get in my bank account.

TBH, if this is true, I'm pretty surprised because they've bad reputation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: