Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Effective 1 Feb 20: shades must be open and outlet use ok for taxi, takeoff & landing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Effective 1 Feb 20: shades must be open and outlet use ok for taxi, takeoff & landing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: Linkendin
United Rule on Keeping Shades Open on Takeoff & Landing

This is a great rule as one must be able to see out the window during takeoff and landing for safety reasons of seeing anything that could cause an issue outside the aircraft. It amazes me on the large number of passengers sitting by a window that they keep the shade down on take off and landing. Hat off to Qantas in Australia as they have had this rule for a long time.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
It's pre-Feb 1, but here's my experience today -- I had three short-haul mainline flights in F:
1. Old announcement -- plugs out, no mention of shades
2. New announcement -- plugs OK (except exit rows), shades must be up for T/O and landing, but no enforcement at all
3. New announcement -- pluss OK (except exit rows), shades must be up for T/O and landing, enforced on T/O but not landing
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
On my flight LAS-SFO 2:55plm today, apparently shades down (about half of them,) and reclined seat backs (at least 4 I could see) were OK during taxiing and takeof in F cabin.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by cmd320
The second the wheels leave the ground you should be able to recline your seat because at that point there’s no more possibility of an evacuation. Realistically as soon as the aircraft hits V1 you should theoretically be able to recline as you won’t be stopping anymore.
Or there could be an emergency going on, with passengers unaware, and the pilots too busy focusing on preparing for landing ASAP and too little time to notify the crew, never mind time for the crew to check that seats are back up. Or even worse you're already on your way down to an off-runway landing for whatever reason.

By the time you're at 10k there's a lot more time (height) before you can realistically reach the ground, at which point it's actually ok to recline.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by televisor
Or there could be an emergency going on, with passengers unaware, and the pilots too busy focusing on preparing for landing ASAP and too little time to notify the crew, never mind time for the crew to check that seats are back up. Or even worse you're already on your way down to an off-runway landing for whatever reason.

By the time you're at 10k there's a lot more time (height) before you can realistically reach the ground, at which point it's actually ok to recline.
Pretty easy to tell if the aircraft is gaining height or not on the takeoff and even easier to tell you’re coming back around to land. I wouldn’t be overly worried about it. In smooth flight on most foreign airlines the seatbelt sign is even off long before 10k.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:59 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Today’s flight Feb 2 EWR-IAH. No announcement to keep shades open. Many closed, including my seat mate, who closed them after I had opened them before he boarded. Either fake news by OP or FAs not following the new orders.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was wondering about that when I came back to the US on 1/31 - both my international and domestic flights' FAs enforced the rule.

I think it is great UA is doing it - it makes sense, all the non-US airlines I have been on enforce this and even some UA Express carriers enforce this. Now only if they can spend a few extra seconds to check people don't have devices plugged in and stuff behind their legs during takeoff and landing.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by st530
Today’s flight Feb 2 EWR-IAH. No announcement to keep shades open. Many closed, including my seat mate, who closed them after I had opened them before he boarded. Either fake news by OP or FAs not following the new orders.
FAs not following procedure?? No...
st530 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just took off from LGA on UA 320 LGA-DEN. It was clearly announced that window shades must be opened for take off.... however there was absolutely no enforcement. Closed shades throughout the cabin. Probably a 50/50 split.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by narvik
FA's won't like this new rule: it means more work for them!

IIRC all window shades are oftentimes closed during hot, sunny weather to reduce the plane's interior heating up, as the plane just sits there on the ground.
Now the FAs not only have to make the announcement to open the shades, but also have to go down the aisles and open (or shut) them themselves, if there's no one sitting in a row.

I already foresee them demanding a service or service item be cut, to avoid them from getting overworked.
says during taxi, takeoff and landing.

Not when plane is standing at the gate.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
At least the flight attendants won't have much trouble on 787s, where the passenger does not have ultimate control of his/her own window shade.
on a 788 from DEN-SFO yesterday, the announcement was again made multiple times at takeoff and before landing, but there was no enforcement. I'd say 80%+ of the cabin did follow instructions though, so better than my prior A319 flight.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Just a moment ago pre-departure... FA announced small devices must be unplugged if you’re in an exit row.
This makes complete sense. Don't want people tripping over wires in an evacuation.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
Yesterday, MCO-DEN on a 737-800, no mention of it, and definitely no enforcement since there were many closed shades on take-off and landing.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
Today, ORD-EWR on a 737-800, FAs mentioned shades needed to open at both takeoff and landing. There were some audible "huh?" reactions, but everyone in my 3-4 row vicinity complied.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by psusaver
says during taxi, takeoff and landing.

Not when plane is standing at the gate.
Err, yeah, I am aware.
I was referring to the fact that oftentimes the window shades are all closed while the plane is on the ground, so there is now a definite need to open all shades for take-off, thusly adding to the workload of the FAs.
psusaver and chavala like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
HA is the only domestic airline I know of that consistently invokes this policy.

On all other domestic airlines, I have witnessed...
  • No mention of shades up for takeoff/landing at all
  • Shades up for takeoff/landing, but only in exit rows
  • Shades up for takeoff/landing, but only in exit rows and bulkhead seats
  • Shades up for takeoff, but not for landing
  • Shades up for landing, but not for takeoff
  • Shades up everywhere for takeoff/landing, but not enforced

In other words: Pick an FA and an airline, and it'll generate a new interpretation of this policy.
psusaver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.