Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Effective 1 Feb 20: shades must be open and outlet use ok for taxi, takeoff & landing

Effective 1 Feb 20: shades must be open and outlet use ok for taxi, takeoff & landing

Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I admittedly don't lfy Untied, but they're FAs actually enforce airplane mode? And people actually care/expect others to turn their phone to airplane mode? I have't turned my phone to airplane mode in years, frequently browse the web & stream ATC well into the departure and never have any issues. When I'm sitting next to employees they seem quite content doing so as well.

They already have the chime that sounds when crossing 10k feet, it's how I know I can now slam my seat back to recline into the person behind me without the FAs making the announcement. (And pull my computer out since the wifi will finally be enabled).
They dont enforce airplane mode on cell phones; the WiFi is often on during initial taxi and is almost always still on during landing.

I recline shortly after take off. If something catastrophic happens when youre a few hundred feet in the air, the seat position wont help.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTahCha
It does not affect evacuation - most people are going to exit through their aisle exit and not jump into their neighbor's seat.
I disagree. Its a safety issue. Panic is infectious, particularly if theres an engine fire. Human gazelles dont need obstacles!
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I get it But it makes me sad, as I use the window shade in the closed position to anchor my iPad so I can take time lapse videos of the planes takeoff.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:24 am
st3

Programs: United MP
Should be interesting in how this shakes out at IAH in the summertime. They routinely tell you to lower the shades while parked at the gate to keep the plane from getting hotter than it already is. I don't have much faith in the general public that they could manage to open them for take-off and landing but keep them closed at the gate.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by PTahCha
It does not affect evacuation - most people are going to exit through their aisle exit and not jump into their neighbor's seat.
The central divider being down enhances visibility in both directions on the cabin from the center seats - it's not an escape route.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
The central divider being down enhances visibility in both directions on the cabin from the center seats - it's not an escape route.
Its an escape route in an emergency. Panic has a communal on-button. You want as few obstacles as possible when a stampede happens!
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by beachmouse
its very common during Florida summers when the plane AC doesnt really keep up well without an insane amount of energy consumption
Got it once at LAX too
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
They dont enforce airplane mode on cell phones; the WiFi is often on during initial taxi and is almost always still on during landing.
WiFi is a much lower power signal than a cell phone thats pinging a tower.

While it is true that the primary reason cell phones are not allowed in flight is that its disruptive to the ground-based systems theyre not designed to have someone change cells at 600 mph it is also true that a cell phone will boost its gain substantially when it gets a weak signal. One phone wont cause much interference, but a planeful certainly could.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I have advised on at least two separate flights by an FA to unplug my phone during take-off as the engines being turned on, and then spooling on take-off, could cause power surges (777 is the type). Whether that's true or not, I don't know. In both cases it wasn't a trip issue as the outlet is behind my shoulder, along with my phone.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta SM, 1MM; Alaska Gold 100K
My favorite has become the requests this time of year by a few Alaska FAs on the red-eyes from LAX to JFK that depart around 9 PM and arrive at 6 AM. The request has been "to be kind to your neighbors as the sun will be coming up upon arrival". Perhaps they are native West Coasters unused to the unabiding darkness that is the East Coast these days, but it has always been dark at take-off and equally so upon arrival.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:25 pm

40 million commercial flights per year (ish), opening shades on 40 million flights for the 15 times that it might be an issue seems perfect for today's panicky public. (the other reason I could think of would be to open windows to make plane more visible to others taxiing on the ground...if that is the reason for this then please ignore first comment)

and what kinds of cords are you people bringing on planes...I would agree that if you are plugging in 12 gauge drop cords that it might impede emergency exit, but plugging in a typical phone charger cord wouldn't even be an obstacle.

You would be much more likely to get impeded by a strap from a bag placed under the seat in front.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I have advised on at least two separate flights by an FA to unplug my phone during take-off as the engines being turned on, and then spooling on take-off, could cause power surges (777 is the type). Whether that's true or not, I don't know. In both cases it wasn't a trip issue as the outlet is behind my shoulder, along with my phone.
Some FAs seem to repeat explanations they hear Without giving it much thought. Ive been told the power surge rationale too, usually on a B789. Ive also been told it interferes with the navigation systemthats a funny one; Id just kick myself if they got lost on the way to the runway because of me. Its also, apparently, a fire hazard, but fortunately only on the ground not in the air.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
FA's won't like this new rule: it means more work for them!

IIRC all window shades are oftentimes closed during hot, sunny weather to reduce the plane's interior heating up, as the plane just sits there on the ground.
Now the FAs not only have to make the announcement to open the shades, but also have to go down the aisles and open (or shut) them themselves, if there's no one sitting in a row.

I already foresee them demanding a service or service item be cut, to avoid them from getting overworked.
I recall being on flights where the FAs instruct everyone to put their shades down during landing, which annoys me since I like looking out the window. I always got the feeling it was a made up rule based on the whim of the FA.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
Is there actually power going to the outlets during takeoff, taxi, and landing
On the 737s, there is not.

The power outlets are disabled whenever the sterile cockpit (blue) light is on. It is located over the center aisle in front of the first row.

We turn it on just before pushback and leave it on until 10,000' on departure. It comes back on as we descend below 10,000' on arrival.

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
WiFi and Bluetooth can remain on. Only the cellular phone and data connection must be turned off.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LarryJ
The power outlets are disabled whenever the sterile cockpit (blue) light is on. It is located over the center aisle in front of the first row.
OT, but what do the other lights mean?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.