Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unbelievable Experience of Purser Reuniting us With Bag of Gifts Left Onboard.

Old Jan 20, 20, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Delta Platinum, American Gold, Marriott Titanium and lifetime Platinum

Like most of you, I've had my fair share of good and bad experiences on United. I'm a few thousand miles short of 3,000,000 so I've seen a lot, but I've never seen what I saw today. Quickly put, we flew this morning (1/20/20) from Edinburgh to Newark. We grabbed our bags (all carry on) and headed to terminal C for our connection to Boston. Once there we realized we left a bag of gifts on the plane at terminal B where we landed. Once at the gate in terminal C a couple of passengers asked us if we left a bag of shirts and hats (from the old course in St. Andrews) on the plane because a flight attendant had it and was looking for us at baggage claim! What flight attendant does that?? Unfortunately, we had carry ons so never went to baggage claim so we missed her. Keep in mind that we had to take the tram to a different terminal for our connection. So, we’re seated on our connecting flight and it’s fully boarded. What happens? Down the aisle comes Janette , our purser from the EDI-EWR flight. She has our bag in her hand and is so relieved that she found us. Again, who does this?? Apparently, Janette does. I can’t tell you how impressed I am with her. I hope she is rewarded in some way for her over the top performance. I hope I run into her again soon so I have the chance to do something nice in return. Such a pleasure to experience service like this in a business where we can all be a bit critical at times. Thanks Janette!!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 20, 20 at 5:13 pm Reason: Removed FA's last name due to FT's rule on privacy for non-exec employees
Old Jan 20, 20, 4:18 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Legally speaking, is it ok to remove bags off an international flight past customs and hand it over to someone?
Old Jan 20, 20, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA
Truly some dedication on the part of the purser there.
perkele, TXJeepGuy and NOTXAPTAP like this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 4:50 pm

Programs: Continental
Send an email to 1K voice. tell them about it.
Dublin_rfk, perkele, leoo and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Delta Platinum, American Gold, Marriott Titanium and lifetime Platinum
Already did. Thx.
Old Jan 20, 20, 5:08 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Over my 30+ years of flying with UA/CO I have found the people actually working on the airplanes to be pretty terrific. I just wish that some of that would filter up to the people in corporate...but it won't. Glad your event had a happy ending and thanks for sharing it.
Old Jan 20, 20, 5:22 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by hockey7711 View Post
Send an email to 1K voice. tell them about it.
If someone has done you a favor that might have crossed company policy (e.g. bringing something through customs) please hide it any email praising them. You might do more harm than good.

Originally Posted by gene2632 View Post
Over my 30+ years of flying with UA/CO I have found the people actually working on the airplanes to be pretty terrific. I just wish that some of that would filter up to the people in corporate...but it won't. Glad your event had a happy ending and thanks for sharing it.
I had a very analogous situation with an Ipad and wrote a nice letter. I ran into the flight attendant months later and she hadn't heard a word about it. When I ran into her 6 months she finally had.
gene2632 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by TravellingMan View Post
Legally speaking, is it ok to remove bags off an international flight past customs and hand it over to someone?
Why wouldn't it be? Though the person who carries them through customs (in this case Janette) would be legally responsible for the contents
Old Jan 20, 20, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato View Post
I had a very analogous situation with an Ipad and wrote a nice letter.
I have also left an iPad onboard without realizing it until I was about to leave the airport and I heard a couple of people behind me calling me by name. I turned around to see the 2 FAs working my section of the cabin coming towards me and they told me I had left the iPad on the shelf at my seat. They didnt have it with them but told me how to retrieve it which I ended up doing the following day since I did not have time that day.
Old Jan 20, 20, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543 View Post
Why wouldn't it be? Though the person who carries them through customs (in this case Janette) would be legally responsible for the contents
I suspect UA doesn't want any of their personnel put into this situation with customs but don't know if this is stated policy. Wouldn't be surprised to learn that it is.
Old Jan 20, 20, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
I suspect UA doesn't want any of their personnel put into this situation with customs but don't know if this is stated policy. Wouldn't be surprised to learn that it is.
Sorry for any confusion, I was commenting on the legality of it. I agree that there is/should be probably a UA policy against it, though...
Old Jan 20, 20, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Yeah, as nice as this story may be, I do wonder whether the FA will get into serious trouble with the OPs Email to 1KVoice
Old Jan 20, 20, 7:34 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
On most (tune it out these days) international flights, I am always admonished to take everything I own from the cabin before disembarking as I will not be able to get back on the aircraft again nor claim the left behind items due to customs regulations. Plus the seriousness with which CBP takes customs declaration, made me question if what the United personnel did was legal? I think she could have been in trouble with CBP if stopped.

Sorry for any confusion, I was commenting on the legality of it. I agree that there is/should be probably a UA policy against it, though...
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Yeah, as nice as this story may be, I do wonder whether the FA will get into serious trouble with the OPs Email to 1KVoice
Old Jan 21, 20, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravellingMan View Post
OP is responsible for having declare the items at customs, even though they weren’t personally in their possession.

Airline agents walk bags through customs all the time. (How do you suppose your bag gets to you when it misconnects on an international flight?)
Old Jan 21, 20, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Southwest A-List+ due to work. Paid F or Biz for pleasure so not a mileage junkie
I'm not sure I see the big deal here with taking the bag through customs. Thinking back to my UA F/A days, I would have taken the bag to customs and explained that a passenger on my flight left it on board and I was going to take it to their connecting flight. If the customs agents say I can't do that, fine, I did what I could and it can be treated as a lost bag; if they want to inspect the bag, fine. (I probably would have peaked in it first to make sure there were no obvious no-nos in there like food or drugs, lol.) I don't see how that would have violated any CBP or airline policy, but am happy to be corrected.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: