Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unbelievable Experience of Purser Reuniting us With Bag of Gifts Left Onboard.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unbelievable Experience of Purser Reuniting us With Bag of Gifts Left Onboard.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by jsloan
OP is responsible for having declare the items at customs, even though they weren’t personally in their possession.

Airline agents walk bags through customs all the time. (How do you suppose your bag gets to you when it misconnects on an international flight?)
Airline ground agents and not flight personnel handle these things. There is protocol for mis-connects.

Originally Posted by Bear96
I'm not sure I see the big deal here with taking the bag through customs. Thinking back to my UA F/A days, I would have taken the bag to customs and explained that a passenger on my flight left it on board and I was going to take it to their connecting flight. If the customs agents say I can't do that, fine, I did what I could and it can be treated as a lost bag; if they want to inspect the bag, fine. (I probably would have peaked in it first to make sure there were no obvious no-nos in there like food or drugs, lol.) I don't see how that would have violated any CBP or airline policy, but am happy to be corrected.
Well, good luck explaining to CBP and asking for forgiveness.

I have no beef in what the agent did here. All I am pointing out is what she did is probably not legal.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Well, good luck explaining to CBP and asking for forgiveness.
How would I have been asking for forgiveness in my scenario (which implies I did something wrong, either knowingly or not, and got caught after the fact), and for what? I would have been asking for permission - disclosing everything to the CBP BEFORE attempting to take the bag through.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
When I get bored, I watch the United videos on the IFE. They have a series called "connections matter" I think where they showcase employees who went above and beyond for their customers. Although I've never experienced anything like that, it's nice to see that they exist somewhere.

As for customs, you declare what you bring when you go thru.
Staff brings stuff thru all the time, otherwise it would be a real hassle every time your bag was delayed overseas.
They are still free to inspect your bag.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Delta Platinum, American Gold, Marriott Titanium and lifetime Platinum
For the record, the FA handed me her card along with my merchandise. That's how I knew her name. Don't think she was too concerned about the legality of helping someone out. This is one of those "would u save a life, even if you might get sued later?" type of scenario's. I am optimistic most people would take the risk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.